Old 07-08-2008, 05:37 AM   #1
MweaG
Casting On

How do I purl into the back of a stitch?
Hi guys,

I know how to do it into a knit stitch, but have been wrestling with how to do it into a purl stitch - I keep ending up with one very twisted knit stitch! HELP!!
MweaG is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-08-2008, 07:15 AM   #2
Knit4Pie
Turning the Heel

It's hard to visualize, and sounds difficult or impossible, but when you do it a few times, you realize it's fairly easy and simple. You insert your needle into the back loop from left to right. Even doing that, you can still bring your needle point to the same position as a regular purl.

Visit my blog Knitting for Patience
Knit4Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 09:36 AM   #3
DorothyDot
Knitting the Flap

That's right. Think about it... when you purl a stitch, you get the lump on your side of your work.

And whenever you "knit" through the back loop of a stitch, you get... a lump on your side of your work. In other words, it's identical to a purl stitch.

And that's what you want, right?

Hope this helps,
Dot

My words sell the Magic of a Dream

DorothyDot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:45 AM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I believe you can find a video for it on the Glossary page - p-b, purl through the back loop.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:07 AM   #5
scubasinger
Ribbing the Cuff

I always remind myself that knit stitches ALWAYS have the yarn in the back while purl stitches ALWAYS have the yarn in the front.

So first I make sure my yarn is positioned correctly.

Then the only thing that changes in a thru-the-back-loop stitch is the direction you insert your working needle.

In a normal knit stitch (yarn in back) you insert your working needle from left-to-right. A thru-the-back-loop means insert the needle from right-to-left, snag the yarn at the back and pull it forward thru the loop.

In a normal purl stitch (yarn in front) you insert your working needle from right-to-left. A thru-the-back-loop means insert the needle from left-to-right, snag the yarn in the front and pull it back thru the loop.

The tricky thing in the purl-thru-the-back-loop is the awkwardness of the angles. You have to start from behind the needle holding your stitches in order to get the needle to pass from right-to-left and then come forward in order to snag the yarn. I usually have to twist my wrists a bit to get it to happen.
scubasinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:39 AM   #6
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
Dorothy Dot,

Quote:
And whenever you "knit" through the back loop of a stitch, you get... a lump on your side of your work. In other words, it's identical to a purl stitch.
I'm not sure what you are saying here. When you knit in the back loop of a normal stitch it twists the stitch, but it is still a flat, vee like stitch, not a purl.

When I put stitches back on the needle after ripping out a few rows (and I've ripped back to a knit row) I don't take a lot of care in how I seat them on the needle. Then as I knit that first row if the stitch is seated correctly I knit it regular, but if it is seated backwards I knit it into the back loop and that straightens it out to a regular knit. It doesn't become a purl.

In the quote you have the word knit in " " marks, so maybe you meant something a little different than what I got out of what you said. Any clarification?

Merigold
Old 07-10-2008, 08:09 AM   #7
MweaG
Casting On

You're all wonderful, thank you! I'll give that a go and let you know how I get on!
I do have another question, but I should probably start a new thread for that...

Thanks again!

MweaG is offline   Reply With Quote