Old 07-08-2008, 05:09 PM   #1
Rebecca419
Ribbing the Cuff

Need help on adult afghan? Should I even use a pattern with Homespun?
I have only ever made basic scarves, but I want to make an afghan for an adult now. I am using the Lion Brand Homespun yarn- is there a point to even doing a pattern with this since it is already curly or should I just knit and purl it?
Also, around how many stitches would you recommend?
Thank you!
Rebecca419 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-08-2008, 05:34 PM   #2
Moxiemade
1st Leg of the Journey

I just did a pretty large afghan with Homespun yarn that was a pattern out of Boyd's "I taught myself to knit" book. I used size 13 needles as suggested (larger needles the better with this yarn and loose tension) and the pattern is a nice Old Shale ripple (no yarnovers though). It turned out wonderfuly soft and elegant. You can definately see the ripple pattern and it's a lot more classy than it would have been just knit and purled, in my opinion.

I *HATED* working with the yarn. It was SUCH a pain! But I have to say that I'm glad I kept with it and finished. I've never felt anything so soft and cozy.

Here are a couple pictures of the finished blanket. It's about 60" long and 50" wide. The pictures are horrible quality because I don't have a digital camera and had to use my cell phone. If you're interested in this pattern pm me.

Hope this helps!

I'm on Ravelry!

Last edited by Moxiemade : 07-09-2008 at 01:13 PM.
Moxiemade is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Moxiemade For This Useful Post:
NewbieKnitter82 (12-29-2008)
Old 07-08-2008, 05:38 PM   #3
jcmom
1st Leg of the Journey

You may want to do a search about Homespun. Others have had some "iffy" results and I appreciated their input. I'd agree that it's a pain to work with.
jcmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 05:52 PM   #4
Moxiemade
1st Leg of the Journey

Jcmom has a good point about searching for posts about homespun. I did. I was quite worried about what I read but since I had already spent $40 on the yarn I just decided to go for it anyway. The afghan I did was my very first knitting project I started. It taught me a lot though. Because the yarn is so difficult to work with *VERY SPLITTY AND ONERY* it taught me to be mindful of keeping loose tension and I learned that using large needles was a MUST. A few times I wanted to throw the project away. I frogged several inches of it at least 3 times (mostly from learning to knit). But I'm VERY happy that I stuck with it to the end. Imagine being wrapped up in silky clouds. That's what it feels like. Big squishy heavenly clouds. It was worth all the curse words I invested into it.

I'm on Ravelry!

Moxiemade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:01 PM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Very loose tension and at least size 11 needles. Simple patterns like the F&F/old shale or ripple/chevron ones would work best.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 11:48 AM   #6
sarahbean
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to sarahbean
i agree that it is hard to work with but if you already bought the yarn, go with it! i tried using a pattern and size 10 knitting needles with homespun yarn, but it didn't work so i just did stockinett stitch

sarahbean
sarahbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 12:09 PM   #7
Azlynn
1st Leg of the Journey

Oh wow Carmen, that blanket is gorgeous!

I have a bunch of that yarn lying around that I bought when I was first learning to knit, then I realized how much I hated it. I even have a half-started stockinette stitch blanket with it but couldn't finish because the yarn just.....sucks so bad. lol I gave it all to my son who loves using it for his Nifty Knitter loom set. It works great with that!
Old 07-09-2008, 03:24 PM   #8
kellee0302
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to kellee0302
Homespun
I have used this yarn on many projects, including an aghan and multiple sweaters and scarves. I didn't have any problems working with it but I do knit very loose; and it makes the warmest items.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:55 PM   #9
Jaxhil
Working the Gusset

I have made 2 afghans with homespun, and am very pleased with both-though I do admit to using knots (GASP!) to make sure the buggers stayed together! And wove in lots of slithery ends on top.

Though it is somewhat of a pain to work with, the afgahans are well loved, so imho, worth it.

Good luck!