Old 07-12-2008, 07:50 AM   #11
Mirl56
Instepping Out

Definitely circs!! Haven't used dbl pts in years.

Mirl56 at Ravelry, too.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You canít live long enough to make them all yourself. Eleanor Roosevelt

OTN:
Lady Feb Sweater
more shawlettes, socks
Mirl56 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-12-2008, 09:30 AM   #12
rachael72knitter
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by mwhite View Post
I'm with Knitgal, love the DPNs...then I switch to circulars if the piece is large enough. It takes getting past the "Unruly Hedgehog" stage and somehow your hands and the needles become friends and it works out.
Yeah. . . the first fe rows on DPNs aren't fun, but then it gets going and I love them. I have a set of circs and everytime I start a project with them, I end up frogging it because I just get these big, loose, loopy sts. I hate circs. I don't know why I can't seem to get a good tension with them. It really is a bummer.
rachael72knitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 06:13 PM   #13
Andres
Ribbing the Cuff

Quote:
I have a set of circs and everytime I start a project with them, I end up frogging it because I just get these big, loose, loopy sts. I hate circs. I don't know why I can't seem to get a good tension with them.
That's why I don't like circular needles: loose stitches (I end up frogging my project too).

Old 07-12-2008, 08:38 PM   #14
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
If you mean the loose sts on the cord, there's nothing wrong with that and it doesn't affect your gauge. The cord is smaller than the needles on purpose so the stitches slide easily and you can fit more on than straight needles. It's the needle tips that control the size of the stitch and has nothing to do with the sts on the cord.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 08:56 PM   #15
Andres
Ribbing the Cuff

Quote:
The cord is smaller than the needles on purpose so the stitches slide easily and you can fit more on than straight needles.

Yes, I know . I think I get loose stitches because the circular needle is too long (27'') to knit a hat. So it's hard to reach the point of the needle.

By the way, I just started a project (hat). I'm using DPNs and I like it. But, I should give circular needles a chance.

Last edited by Andres : 07-12-2008 at 09:59 PM.
Andres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 08:29 AM   #16
SBG
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via Yahoo to SBG
Depends on what I'm knitting. I prefer DPNs for socks, maybe because they're what I learned on. I prefer magic loop for anything else it'll work for. I'm actually doing my first large diameter circular project right now, a seed stitch bag. I'm flying through it-just going round and round w/ no rows makes it go by really quickly.
SBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 08:39 AM   #17
Lisa R.
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Andres View Post
Yes, I know . I think I get loose stitches because the circular needle is too long (27'') to knit a hat. So it's hard to reach the point of the needle.

By the way, I just started a project (hat). I'm using DPNs and I like it. But, I should give circular needles a chance.

It's important to use the right tool for the project. If you try to use a screwdriver to hammer in a nail, you'll find it very frustrating, but you wouldn't say, "I don't like screwdrivers!"

In knitting, trying to force the wrong needle to work in a project is just as frustrating.

Hats are normally worked on 16", so you are having to stretch your stitches out over 11 extra inches!! Of course that's going to be frustrating!!

So...before you make the final decision on whether or not you like circulars in general, do try a project or two on the proper size and see what you think.

I'm Knittermom9 on Ravelry
Lisa R. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lisa R. For This Useful Post:
Andres (07-13-2008)
Old 07-13-2008, 09:22 AM   #18
cindycactus
Turning the Heel

I also love DPN's for small projects but the circular needles are better for larger projects. Haven't tried ML or two circs.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:45 AM   #19
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
As Lisa R says, you need one that's the correct size OR you can use magic loop if the needle is longer than the item you want to knit. Hats are usually about 20-24" so of course 27" is too long. I use 24" to knit hats, but have to sort of ML it until I get a couple inches on the needle, then it works fine until I get to the top where I need to ML again.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 09:56 AM   #20
rachael72knitter
Knitting the Flap

I realize the cable is smaller than the needles so the sts will be loose on the cable, and I am using the right length, but when I am stitching, even on the needles portion, they are just super loose. I am not giving up though. I just need to have patience and get through a few rows and see how it comes out. I'll get there I guess.

I did with DPNs. I used to avoid patterns with them and now I'm using them all the time.
rachael72knitter is offline   Reply With Quote