Old 07-08-2008, 03:28 AM   #1
noqah
Casting On

are gussetts possible in toe-up socks
I the 2 toe-up on one circular needle method, but I miss my gussetts ....is it possible to add gussetts to my 2tuonecurcularneedle socks?

I am pretty new at knitting and will need a pattern to follow if there is a way to do it.

Thank you in advance for your help.
noqah is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-08-2008, 06:26 AM   #2
Mirl56
Instepping Out

Yes, it is possible. I've done socks top down and toe up and have recently decided I like toe up better, but I don't like short row heels at all, which seems to be most common in toe up socks.

I've recently googled and printed out 6-8 toe up patterns that are toe up w/a gusset. I haven't made any of them yet, but plan to fine one that works well for me, then apply the techniques to any other toe up patterns I want.

Just google "knit pattern toe up socks gusset" and you'll be able to find some, too.

Mirl56 at Ravelry, too.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You canít live long enough to make them all yourself. Eleanor Roosevelt

OTN:
Lady Feb Sweater
more shawlettes, socks
Mirl56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:06 AM   #3
of troy
Turning the Heel

Yes, there are 2 MAIN styles (the emulate cuff down,)
and there are several alternate "one of kind" gussets

Option 1--(see Sensational Knitted Socks, C. Schurch for details.. this is the style of toe up gusseted heel she uses)

1--knit to beinning of heel shaping
--knit flap (work half stitches) in stocking knit with slip stitch selvage.
--turn heel (round turning works best)
--pick up stitches (gusset) and decrease
--Optional.. work these stitches (back of heel) in heel stitch pattern

--Also Optional-work only center (the stitches that will remain after gusset decreases have been completed in heel stitch pattern

Option 2--REVERSED gusset heel

Work to heel
Continue working in round, INCREASING at either side of "heel" , creating a gusset.(
(select a side of sock to be bottom/sole/heel, increase on both sides of these stitches)
when gusset is large enough, stop working in round
in center of bottom/sole/back stitches, turn heel (leave other stitches on needles
--back of heel--work in heel stitch, and on each row,(knitting flat not in round) knit (or p) 2tog, (decreasing gusset)

when decreases are completed, return to knitting in round.
(the pink socks have a reverse gusset, it looks very similar to a cuff down gusset)
(direction for this style can be found on internet--google)

Option (other)
gussets are 2 trianglular bits of knitting to add ease.

NORMALLY they are at lower side, but you can move them (and place them on the instep) Cat Bordhi's book "new directions for sock" does exactly this..

and i have experimented too

see this post, for one set of experimental gussets
and this post for another,

and these socks have a 'hidden (in pattern" gusset, with a short row heel.

and the Tsock Tsarina's new club sock (Frenchman's Creek) also feature a hidden gusset (it look like there isn't one, but its there, (check out it out on ravelry.)

Are there other options? YES. they are yours to discover, create..
(there is a Gansey heel, and a strong heel --both worked normally top down, the have shaping but not standard gussets.. could this shaping be reversed? Yes.. how? you have to figure out!)
Old 07-12-2008, 04:58 PM   #4
noqah
Casting On

Wado (thank you) Marilyn and Troy;

Something to ponder:

It is said that before the colonization of America that a squirrel could travel from NH to NC without ever touching the ground....all those trees were taken mainly by the ship building industry to build ships...and other things. Imagine all those ships and imagine the thousands of miles of sail cloth needed for those ships. And to think, every inch of those thousands of miles of sail cloth, made from hand spun, hand woven material......it boggles the mind.....

Last edited by noqah : 07-12-2008 at 05:03 PM. Reason: left something out of my post.
noqah is offline   Reply With Quote