Old 07-12-2008, 11:51 PM   #1
Knit4Pie
Turning the Heel

Worry...or wait to worry?
Yesterday (Friday) morning, I was rudely awakened by my cat either biting or scratching my toes. On my left foot, I have a scratch at the base of my middle toe. On the right, my pinkie toe has either a puncture or VERY small scratch. I got up, washed and disinfected it, then forgot about it except that it would sting a bit as these things will.

Earlier this evening, I noticed that on my pinkie toe, my toe is slightly swollen and very red. The scratch on my other toe seems fine, just a scratch already pretty much healed. Is it too soon for me to be worrying about it? It doesn't hurt when I touch it or anything, but it is quite red...

Visit my blog Knitting for Patience
Knit4Pie is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-12-2008, 11:59 PM   #2
The.Knitter
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,187 Posts
Try soaking it in epsom salts and hot water, then putting polysporin on it and a bandage. Change the bandage twice a day. I hope this helps!

Find our "Canadian Oddball Blanket KAL" on Ravelry as: OddballBlankets

The.Knitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 12:27 AM   #3
Jeremy
Mod Squad

I think you may have cellulites in your toe from an infection. I would go to your local walk in center to get it treated.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:11 AM   #4
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
Yeah it does sound like an early stage infection. Cat scratches are notorious for such infections and the sooner it's treated the more quickly it will go away.

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 10:38 AM   #5
rachael72knitter
Knitting the Flap

It's infected, but I wouldn't go to the doctor for it yet. I would treat it like The.Knitter said first. Then see if it gets better.

I have had lots of infected scratches over the years and I haven't ever gone to a doctor for one. They always heal and go away if treated properly.

Now, if it doesn't start to look better then I would go in.
rachael72knitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 11:29 AM   #6
Plantgoddess+
Working the Gusset

I'm a wait and see gal myself. I used to work for a small animal vet and have had cat bites and scratches on my hands. My hands would swell up and be unusable for a few days but would eventually heal, thank goodness, as I didn't have health insurance then. If it gets painful and doesn't clear up in a couple of days then I would definitely seek treatment.
Old 07-13-2008, 01:20 PM   #7
susi
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to susi
I get scratched all the time as i have 15 cats, mainly kittens that like to play rough.

personally i dont get any kind of treatment for them, i usually just leave them alone and they sort out. but as your sounds worse than the once i get i would antiseptic it and wait a couple of days, if it looks better then great, if not go and see someone.

Its as long as you know there is nothing wrong with your cat. i know mine are fine as i get them vet checked often and they are all indoor cats so less likley to pick up nasties.

they fliiping hurt though, and take far far longer than the average like for like dog bite i think to heal
susi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 01:55 PM   #8
rachael72knitter
Knitting the Flap

I got a blister on my foot that tore and got infected. That whole side of my foot got swollen and was in pain. I took some Tylenol and soaked it for sveral hours in hot water with Epsom salts. I did this a few times until it completely went away several hours later and then just wore flip-flops for the next week.

I have a habit of self-treating though and not going to the doctor unless I absolutely have to.
rachael72knitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 04:05 PM   #9
SBG
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via Yahoo to SBG
I'd also wait, keep it clean. I avoid doctors like the plague though.
SBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 04:12 PM   #10
Knit4Pie
Turning the Heel

I've always pretty much ignored cat scratches and bites, after cleaning them. Unless they're really deep scratches, a wash with soap and water is all I do. This kinda struck me. It seemed to go away, now it looks like it's back. I'll wait until tomorrow after following the suggestions I've received. My aunt said I'd probably have to have a tetanus shot if I do go in. Ugh, not my cup of tea right there.

Visit my blog Knitting for Patience
Knit4Pie is offline   Reply With Quote