Old 07-15-2008, 03:39 PM   #1
nancyinItasca
Casting On

How do I join in the round?
I've viewed the video on knitting and joining with double pointed needles but when I tried to follow them my directions state: "cast on 16 sts. Join in round and divide onto 3 needles. change color. How do I join in round and then divide using the directions in the video? Also it has me changing to larger needles that are presently being used to knit the main body of the sweater. I'm trying to knit a scandinavian sweater for a doll with a matching outfit for each of my granddaughters. On the directions for the main body I cast on 64 sts., broke color A, with MC, join in rnd and continued to knit. Actually I didn't join, just continued to knit because I thought I could do that later. But now I'm stumped and would appreciate some help. Thanks, nancyinItasca
nancyinItasca is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-15-2008, 09:56 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Divide first then join, they just wrote the directions backwards.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
nancyinItasca (07-16-2008)
Old 07-15-2008, 11:26 PM   #3
sekse
Casting On

Maybe you could help me - I've been knitting in the round and need to now go needle to needle but can't figure out how to make the transition as the working yarn is on the right needle and I need to knit stitch the first row with the front facing me. Thanks for any help I can get.
sekse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 11:32 PM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

You would just knit the next stitch. Or do you mean you need to knit back and forth as on straight needles? Could you be a little more clear as to what you're doing.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:37 AM   #5
nancyinItasca
Casting On

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
You would just knit the next stitch. Or do you mean you need to knit back and forth as on straight needles? Could you be a little more clear as to what you're doing.
I'm knitting a doll's norwegian style sweater. The cast on is done in a different color than the main body and is changed with the first row. Just how do I join in the round as per your video? The directions say to break A, put marker on 1st st, and with MC join in round. Also, the sleeve directions have me cast on 16 sts, join in round, and divide onto 3 needles. Do I join in the round with the MC or the cast on color? Also, since I do not have extra sets of dp needles in the same sizes would it be ok if I put the body of the sweater onto a st holder or circular needle? I really appreciate your help. I haven't knitted for several years and am eager to get back to it. thanks again, nancyinItasca
Old 07-16-2008, 12:21 PM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

Yes, put the sweater on holders or another needle. After you CO in color A, pick up the MC strand and knit around. It won't really be until the 2nd row that you would actually join I think, since you're using a different strand than you CO with. For the sleeve, I can't say from your wording of the instructions whether the CO is the MC or not; what does the picture look like?

Old 07-16-2008, 02:17 PM   #7
nancyinItasca
Casting On

Originally Posted by nancyinItasca View Post
I'm knitting a doll's norwegian style sweater. The cast on is done in a different color than the main body and is changed with the first row. Just how do I join in the round as per your video? The directions say to break A, put marker on 1st st, and with MC join in round. Also, the sleeve directions have me cast on 16 sts, join in round, and divide onto 3 needles. Do I join in the round with the MC or the cast on color? Also, since I do not have extra sets of dp needles in the same sizes would it be ok if I put the body of the sweater onto a st holder or circular needle? I really appreciate your help. I haven't knitted for several years and am eager to get back to it. thanks again, nancyinItasca
The sleeve CO is the same as the body of the sweater, the CO color is different than the MC so I have to caston 16 sts and divide by 3, change color, knit in ribbing the same as the body and then join with the MC? Sometimes the answer is right in your face and you make it so complicated in your head. Thanks so much, nancyinItasca
Old 07-16-2008, 03:36 PM   #8
nancyinItasca
Casting On

Did you watch the video for dp needles? I'm not sure if there is a video for circ.needles but put a marker on the needle and then keep knitting in the round.