Old 07-23-2008, 05:41 PM   #1
miccisue
Turning the Heel

Messed up pattern...just continue?
OK, so hubby and I went on a long weekend (our "vacation" for the year) and I took along the makings of an afghan.
I can't remember the exact name of the pattern, but it's a free one from Red Heart, uses a strand of Super Saver and a strand of Symphony knit together, and is SUPPOSED to end up in a block or "checkerboard" pattern between knit and purl stitches. I started off wonderfully, working each side as instructed, and apparently got caught up in the knitting and failed to read the instructions....thus, I didn't switch over to the reverse to make the first checkerboard. It's about 8 inches long now, which seems a bit long for starting the checkerboard, and quite honestly, I'm more than tempted to keep going the way I have been. It's not going to turn out like it was intended, but on the other hand, it's not going to be hideous either. It's going to be like long stripes running the length of the blanket. Of course, by not switching, it is curling just a bit on the edges, but I figure this is for my friend who has a dog and who knows how many cats (depends on whether the kids are back home or not), and will most likely just be used as either a "cuddle up on the couch when sick", or " wrap up in it in the winter to keep warm" blanket so don't think it will matter all that much.
Am I "making lemonade out of lemons", or just being lazy? I feel stupid that I got so zoned into the knitting I forgot to look at the pattern, but then again, it is knit with love and although not the idea I started out with, one that will still be fit to look at (think 7x7 ribbing, LOL!).
Has this ever happened to anyone else?
How embarrassing........
miccisue is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-23-2008, 06:42 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,778 Times in 7,145 Posts
I would probably rip and start over, but you certainly don't need to. If you are happy with it and you're consistent in following your "new" pattern then go for it.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 06:59 PM   #3
MAmaDawn
Working the Gusset

You could still switch, just won't look like a checker board, just like rectangles. Or you could keep going and crochet or knit a border...

Wife to GooB; Mom to Tori (7) and Belle (4) Jeremiah (2)

MamaDawn there too
My Little Shop
MAmaDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MAmaDawn For This Useful Post:
miccisue (07-23-2008)
Old 07-23-2008, 07:14 PM   #4
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,243 Times in 1,838 Posts
There is no law that says you have to end up with what you thought you were starting with. If you like the long stripe look, then leave it. If you want some variety, then switch now and have rectangles. You have just designed your own afghan!

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 07:15 PM   #5
miccisue
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by MAmaDawn View Post
You could still switch, just won't look like a checker board, just like rectangles. Or you could keep going and crochet or knit a border...
Yes, I could do that. Then, instead of going by the number of rows before I switch back, I could just go by length, right? I'll be honest - part of the problem with frogging is the fact that the Symphony is so fuzzy it makes it tougher to see "where you're going" (likewise with counting rows of stitches...the fuzzies get to you after a while, some stitches are obvious, some are pretty obscured by the mohair-like yarn). So, I could switch and do that pattern for the same number of inches I did the first, then switch back, etc. correct?
Old 07-23-2008, 07:18 PM   #6
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,243 Times in 1,838 Posts
Yes, exactly. If you're off by a row or two, it won't even show with the yarn.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ingrid For This Useful Post:
miccisue (07-23-2008)
Old 07-24-2008, 12:01 PM   #7
jheatherley
1st Leg of the Journey

If you don't go back and do it "correctly," Boston will disappear from the face of the earth!
jheatherley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:21 PM   #8
MAmaDawn
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by jheatherley View Post
If you don't go back and do it "correctly," Boston will disappear from the face of the earth!
you are too funny!

Wife to GooB; Mom to Tori (7) and Belle (4) Jeremiah (2)

MamaDawn there too
My Little Shop
MAmaDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:23 PM   #9
Wanda Witch
Turning the Heel

What about Vegas?
Wanda Witch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 04:50 PM   #10
miccisue
Turning the Heel

Don't live in Boston, don't know anybody in Boston, so I guess I'll just go on my merry way........