Old 07-16-2008, 09:46 AM   #1
suecq
1st Leg of the Journey

Dear Abby
Has anyone read Dear Abby today? She said that in her opinion it is rude to knit, crochet or do quilting at a meeting or public gathering. Any comments?

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-16-2008, 09:56 AM   #2
KnitsAway
Ribbing the Cuff

I have a friend that knits during family gatherings like Thanksgiving. It does sound rude and anti-social.

I know it bugs my mother when my sister takes her knitting to family functions.

I can't bring myself to do it, but when I think about doing it, it doesn't feel rude. Does that make sense?

But I think non-knitters find it rude, so I don't do it.
KnitsAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 09:56 AM   #3
HollyP
Working the Gusset

That's crazy! She is obviously not a knitter! I have a feeling she's going to be getting a few angry letters from knitters, crocheters and quilters.
When I knit at events it is always something easy so I don't have to keep referring to a pattern. I wouldn't knit at say a wedding or funeral but I have knit at lectures at my church. No one was bothered and it helped me stay alert. I think more people were disturbed by the guy a few rows behind me playing on his cell.

Southeast Baby Oddball Blog
HollyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 10:03 AM   #4
mwhite
Instepping Out

I think it depends on the situation....we had a party last Saturday and I was the cook....no time to knit although part of the time we sat around and just talked. Since I do lace, it's hard to concentrate except in solitude but one of the ladies was working on simple dishcloths and was able to knit and join the conversations... so for me, as the hostess, it would have been difficult, rude and inappropriate because I was in charge of serving, but for Alice, it was okay. I don't think it would be proper to knit in church or somewhere that your purpose for being includes your attention and involvement. I knit at work when we are slow but do it in my sewing room area so that if a customer comes in, they get my complete attention. There's a time and place for everything. Just my opinion...
mwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 10:10 AM   #5
knitgal
Working the Gusset

I can easily see how it would be seen as rude to a non-knitter or even a knitter. Sometimes it IS rude to knit at a meeting and public gathering.
Some bosses are probably okay with it, but I don't think I'd want to knit in a meeting, no one would think you're paying attention. Plus you're at work...shouldn't you be working?
Public places it's different, like on the bus, or at a park, but I doubt that's what she meant. She probably meant at public gatherings like concerts or a play, which would be very rude. The performers would probably be insulted because it looks as though you are bored or ignoring them.
All in all, I think we all have to be aware of the situation when we knit in public and make sure we don't do it an innapropriate times.

Does anyone have a link to it? I couldn't find it online.

OTN: Corona, Miter square blanket, Charity blankets
FO: Forest Canopy Shawl, Easy Baby Bootees, Kitty Pi, Ms. Marigold, Twinkle Toes, Josh's socks, Hedera socks, Spring Beret, Ashley's Birthday socks, Socks for the DBF's mom, grey socks for the DBF, my first socks, reversible cable scarf, ribbed hat for the BF, Manos Del Uruguay afghan, and a whole bunch of dishcloths!

knitgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 10:25 AM   #6
suecq
1st Leg of the Journey

I don't have a link, but I read it in both the Tampa Tribune and the St. Petersburg Times this morning. It was the last letter.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:27 AM   #7
knitgal
Working the Gusset

DEAR ABBY: Is it rude or inconsiderate for a person to knit, crochet or piece a quilt while attending a meeting or other gathering? -- CURIOUS IN THE SUNBELT

DEAR CURIOUS: Although I may get some argument about this, I do think it's rude. When someone is attending a meeting or a social gathering, it is considered good manners to give the speaker or other attendees your full attention. And while I expect to hear from readers who say they can "multi-task," to do so sends the wrong message.

I have to agree with her this time!

OTN: Corona, Miter square blanket, Charity blankets
FO: Forest Canopy Shawl, Easy Baby Bootees, Kitty Pi, Ms. Marigold, Twinkle Toes, Josh's socks, Hedera socks, Spring Beret, Ashley's Birthday socks, Socks for the DBF's mom, grey socks for the DBF, my first socks, reversible cable scarf, ribbed hat for the BF, Manos Del Uruguay afghan, and a whole bunch of dishcloths!

knitgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 10:42 AM   #8
cindycactus
Turning the Heel

I saw it and it does seem rude the way it was framed. She did say she expected letters to the contrary. I think it is fine to knit in public if you are alone or with friends who don't mind.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:49 AM   #9
Tropicflower24
Turning the Heel

That's why I am thankful I listen with my ears, not my hands.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:50 AM   #10
figaro
Working the Gusset

I would think it was rude if the person who was knitting or crocheting was not able to participate in the conversation, was having to concentrate on a row or just plain ignoring me, yeah that would be rude. But if the person was talking with me and not missing a beat, not only would it not bother me but I would also be very impressed cause there is no way I could no that!

figaro
and also on Plurk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

figaro is offline   Reply With Quote