Old 07-24-2008, 02:50 PM   #41
rachael72knitter
Knitting the Flap

I went out to eat with some co-workers for my birthday and one of the girls sat there at the table and texted on her phone. She then proceeded to do this at the cocktail party at my house and even spent about an hour outside on her phone! Then she came in to say goodbye and thanks and I thought, "why did you even come?"

I thought that was incredibly rude and if I am expected not to pull out my knitting at a restaraunt table, then the people I am with should not text or talk on their cell phone.
rachael72knitter is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-24-2008, 03:11 PM   #42
The.Knitter
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,187 Posts
When I was to attend my DGD's birthday, my DD told me straight out that I was "not allowed" to knit during the party. She looked horrified when I brought my knitting bag into the house before the party. I obeyed my DD's request, but sat there all afternoon doing not much, so I took pictures instead!

I can see that there are times where it would look rude to knit when your attention should be elsewhere, but I don't much like being told I am "not allowed" to do anything at my age!

Find our "Canadian Oddball Blanket KAL" on Ravelry as: OddballBlankets

The.Knitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 03:28 PM   #43
Crycket
Working the Gusset

Send a message via Skype™ to Crycket
Yeah...but you know...it is exactly what you said....

There is a time to knit and a time to enjoy...and it was good that she was forward with her wishes...but it probably could have been put nicer...."I know you enjoying knitting but it is-enter DGD name here-'s day, and I would appreciate if she had the attention today" or something along those lines! Not "you're not allowed"...like everything in life...a little tact goes a long way!

But one thing we can all agree....it would be rude not to knit amounst a bunch of ppl knitting *smiles*

Growing old is mandatory, growing UP is optional!
Crycket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 05:03 PM   #44
psquidy
Turning the Heel

People don't understand that serious knitters don't sit alone in a silent room knitting all day. We knit and talk to our spouses, we knit and watch tv, knit and listen to music....knit and have cocktails!!!!! So if we knit during a outing we are in out element. I have often thought of asking my boss if i could knit during team meetings. It sounds nuts but it's that or i fall asleep! Knitters are people with busy hands, and maybe we don't want to just sit and talk or listen, maybe we NEED to do something productive as well! I don't think its rude at all-just misunderstood. HOwever, the non knitters do seem to get thier undies in a bunch over it. My spouse has always forbade it. Lets leave them all and start a knitters only community! C'Mon everybody!We'll call it knittopia.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:14 PM   #45
foxyroxy912
Casting On

As a knitter with diagnosed ADHD I can tell you knitting helps me very much. When I have to "just" sit and listen I get so antsy and restless and irritable if I don't have something to do with my hands. And it helps me in group gatherings because I am less likely to blurt out something on an implulse and more likely to absorb what people are saying because my mind is not thinking about what to say in response before the person is even done talking. It has been very helpful for me during my support group.
If I was attending a family gathering I would kind of feel my way on whether to knit or not. I don't think the majority of my family would be offended because many of them knit, crochet, or cross stitch. So they would be very interested.

Roxanne
foxyroxy912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 05:41 PM   #46
mwhite
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by psquidy View Post
People don't understand that serious knitters don't sit alone in a silent room knitting all day. We knit and talk to our spouses, we knit and watch tv, knit and listen to music....knit and have cocktails!!!!! So if we knit during a outing we are in out element. I have often thought of asking my boss if i could knit during team meetings. It sounds nuts but it's that or i fall asleep! Knitters are people with busy hands, and maybe we don't want to just sit and talk or listen, maybe we NEED to do something productive as well! I don't think its rude at all-just misunderstood. HOwever, the non knitters do seem to get thier undies in a bunch over it. My spouse has always forbade it. Lets leave them all and start a knitters only community! C'Mon everybody!We'll call it knittopia.

Save me a spot there-
I can just hear my ranting hubby telling his buds why his wife left him...
mwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 07:29 AM   #47
GinnyG
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by The.Knitter View Post
When I was to attend my DGD's birthday, my DD told me straight out that I was "not allowed" to knit during the party. She looked horrified when I brought my knitting bag into the house before the party. I obeyed my DD's request, but sat there all afternoon doing not much, so I took pictures instead!

I can see that there are times where it would look rude to knit when your attention should be elsewhere, but I don't much like being told I am "not allowed" to do anything at my age!
HA! I would have said LOVE ME, LOVE MY KNITTING!!!!!!! As a close relative I would not have hesitated to "discuss" this with her further....... what exactly does she object to about your knitting??

I brought this up at my knitting class this week, while everyone did have a place or two that they would not knit at everyone agreed that there is nothing rude about knitting in a casual situation whether that is a restaurant of party.

Maybe we should forward this to "Dear Abby"!
GinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 10:11 AM   #48
rachael72knitter
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by foxyroxy912 View Post
As a knitter with diagnosed ADHD I can tell you knitting helps me very much. When I have to "just" sit and listen I get so antsy and restless and irritable if I don't have something to do with my hands. And it helps me in group gatherings because I am less likely to blurt out something on an implulse and more likely to absorb what people are saying because my mind is not thinking about what to say in response before the person is even done talking. It has been very helpful for me during my support group.
If I was attending a family gathering I would kind of feel my way on whether to knit or not. I don't think the majority of my family would be offended because many of them knit, crochet, or cross stitch. So they would be very interested.

Roxanne
I hear you. I am that same way. I always say knitting "anchors" me.
rachael72knitter is offline   Reply With Quote