Old 02-01-2014, 12:33 AM   #1
annmarz
Casting On

Best Interchangeable Needle Set
I am in the market for an interchangeable circular needle set. I need a good value. What do you recommend?
annmarz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to annmarz For This Useful Post:
orgalcura (02-20-2014)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-01-2014, 01:04 AM   #2
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,994 Times in 2,509 Posts
You might consider the Comby Sampler that will allow you to try three different needle materials and find out which you like. Having the three different types on hand is good. I found after I'd been knitting a little while that my preferred needles changed and the Comby needles let me see how I liked them after I'd been knitting longer. You will want flexible cables and a smooth join that doesn't snag your yarn or cause the stitches to drag as they go over it. I have Nova (nickel plate) needles I bought here on KH, Sunstrucks (wood) from Knit Picks and Denise needles. I use the Nova set the most, then the Sunstrucks, never the Denise. What you prefer will be a personal decision.

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
justplaincharlotte (02-03-2014)
Old 02-01-2014, 01:30 AM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
Oh boy. You'll get as many answers as there are people in KH. We all have our favorites. That said I agree with Grumpy Gramma (GG). Knitters Pride are lovely needles and the best way to try them is buy the sampler set so when you do buy a full set you'll know which material you like knitting with best.

Knitting Help sells them and there are two different sampler sets. If you're a new knitter the first one is probably the best to start. The second one has smaller needle sizes.
http://shop.knittinghelp.com/knittin...cular-sampler/
http://shop.knittinghelp.com/knittin...ar-sampler-ii/

There are other brands with good needles, but this one is a great value with thin flexible cables and smooth needles with nice joins. I have the Dreamz. I also have Denise which I never use because I don't like the thick cables, and Knit picks nickel plated which I do use.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Last edited by Jan in CA : 02-01-2014 at 05:48 PM.
Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
GrumpyGramma (02-01-2014)
Old 02-01-2014, 11:35 AM   #4
Marina1109
1st Leg of the Journey

I also recommend the "comby sampler"

I asked GrumpyGramma for advice on this. She was more than helpful. Thanks GrumpyGramma

I bought Nova's nickel plated here.
I love the cables, because there're so flexible it's so easy to use with magic loop.
The needles make the knitting so easy because the yarn slides nicely. It doesn't fall off the needles (with the yarn I knit with) but it slides nicely.

The only thing I don't like about them is the fact that the points are pretty sharp. I'm a continental knitter and tend to push with my right index finger so I have poked holes in my finger.

But I have ways to remedy that prob...... like not pushing with index finger
Or using a bandaid.

When I was shopping around, I stopped at my LYS to see what they had available, hoping I could try one.
They only had "addi " needles which are way above my budget. I didn't bother to ask if I could try them. I was afraid I would like them too much.
I asked about Denise interchangeables. The owner happened to be knitting with a pair. She said for the price they were okay, YET the cable comes undone often.

Don't take your organs to heaven, heaven knows we need them here

Every person can save up to 8 lives and help/enhance the lives of many more.
To sign up to become an organ donor:
http://donatelife.net/
Marina1109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:38 PM   #5
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,842 Times in 1,907 Posts
I use Denise needles all the time, and the cable never comes undone.

Most interchangeables have twist on cables, which hurt my arthritic hands. That's why I like the Denise set. Easy to snap on and off.

If I buy nice needles, I get the fixed circulars. Right now, I have a full set of Nova fixed circs in 16" and 24" lengths. Next, I want to have a nice full set of 32" and 40" lengths.
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shandeh For This Useful Post:
justplaincharlotte (02-03-2014)
Old 02-01-2014, 04:03 PM   #6
DogCatMom
Knitting the Flap

I don't know whether this helps the OP, but I have the Denise *crochet hook* set. They're terrific!

I also have regular crochet hooks, but for sizes F through M (6 through 14, or 3.75 to 9.0 mm) it's good to know that I have back-up and can make Tunisian hooks with cables as long as I need them. :D
DogCatMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:34 AM   #7
PurpleDolphinGirl
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
Oh boy. You'll get as many answers as there are people in KH. We all have our favorites. That said I agree with Grumpy Gramma (GG). Knitters Pride are lovely needles and the best way to try them is buy the sampler set so when you do buy a full set you'll know which material you like knitting with best.

Knitting Help sells them and there are two different sampler sets. If you're a new knitter the first one is probably the best to start. The second one has smaller needle sizes.
http://shop.knittinghelp.com/knittin...cular-sampler/
http://shop.knittinghelp.com/knittin...ar-sampler-ii/

There are other brands with good needles, but this one is a great value with thin flexible cables and smooth needles with nice joins. I have the Dreamz. I also have Denise which I never use because I don't like the thick cables, and Knit picks nickel plated which I do use.
I'm gonna butt in and ask...is the User name/password for the KH shop site the same as the one we use to access KH forums? Either my kindle's acting up and won't sign me in there...or I need a new signing to purchase items (I hope the latter is not the case).

AquaDolphin on ravelry.com
PurpleDolphinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:12 PM   #8
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,994 Times in 2,509 Posts
Originally Posted by PurpleDolphinGirl View Post
I'm gonna butt in and ask...is the User name/password for the KH shop site the same as the one we use to access KH forums? Either my kindle's acting up and won't sign me in there...or I need a new signing to purchase items (I hope the latter is not the case).
I think you have to set up an account in the store. It's separate from anything on the forums. It's safer that way.

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:48 PM   #9
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
Yes you need a new one. It uses your email and a password to sign in. I'm sure it's a safety issue. I don't find it a problem.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:35 AM   #10
Dari
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by annmarz View Post
I am in the market for an interchangeable circular needle set. I need a good value. What do you recommend?
I have the Chiao Goo interchangeables, and I love them. The cables are a bit stiff to do any kind of Magic Loop, so I just use my fixed Hiya Hiyas, but for everything else, they're fabulous. The tips are nice and sharp, the joins are super-smooth, and the cables are straight and don't kink or curl. They're also pretty reasonably priced, and they come in a very pretty case.

"As an artist, the only thing I have to offer is the revelation of my soul."
-Eleonora Duse

I knit because sometimes it's the only way to keep from strangling stupid people.
Dari is offline   Reply With Quote