Old 03-27-2009, 10:15 AM   #181
Hogheaven59
Casting On

Originally Posted by OffJumpsJack View Post
I just did that, but after a few tries I realized I needed to spin it counter clockwise.

I use a canvas bag, and I'm planning to try some modifications on it.

1) Put an oval piece of wood in the bottom as a base so it will stand up.

2) Run a seam down the middle from top to bottom to divide it into two "tubes." I can then put one skein up in each side.
Great idea!
I was thinking... the Quaker Oats tubular can would hold a skein of yarn, you could cut a thin strip from the edge to the center of the lid for the yarn to go through. You could make two for two skeins. I suppose you could even spiff 'em up with contact paper...hmm...I think I might try this...oatmeal anyone?
kellybigeyes (03-27-2009), RuthieinMaryland (04-06-2009), victoryah (04-11-2009)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-27-2009, 12:20 PM   #182
Hogheaven59
Casting On

Another "twisted" idea
Originally Posted by Hogheaven59 View Post
Great idea!
I was thinking... the Quaker Oats tubular can would hold a skein of yarn, you could cut a thin strip from the edge to the center of the lid for the yarn to go through. You could make two for two skeins. I suppose you could even spiff 'em up with contact paper...hmm...I think I might try this...oatmeal anyone?
Another thought...put your knitting bag...container...on a lazy susan, and twirl it around as you go. (this would work at home as you wouldn't want to be carting that lazy ol' susan around)
AmyV (10-05-2010), kellybigeyes (03-27-2009), RuthieinMaryland (04-06-2009)
Old 03-29-2009, 03:30 PM   #183
GrandmaLori
Knitting the Flap

Organizing Yarn in a Pinch
We went on a trip, and I FORGOT my knitting. So, off to Wally to get needles and some redheart yarn. I have a slipper request, and pattern memorized. It uses 2 colors, 4 strands. How to keep untangled....Voila, the walmart bag!. I put all 4 skeins in, then 2 strands out through each of the 2 handle holes, and my project on the outside of the bag. Then, I tied the 2 handles together right up at the top and everything is nicely contained. I put the bag inside a 2nd bag, which conains the actual project. It really works! Nothing flopping around on the floor etc.
cacunn (04-07-2009), Gertie (03-29-2009), kellybigeyes (03-29-2009), RuthieinMaryland (04-06-2009), victoryah (04-11-2009)
Old 04-08-2009, 02:00 PM   #184
cacunn
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,103 Times in 826 Posts
Take your Quaker Oats tubular can and cut it so it is a little taller than your yarn ball. Punch a hole in the top and one on each side of the can. Put a piece of cord from the outside to inside and knot it on each side of the can for a handle. Put your yarn in the can, thread the yarn through the hole in the top and put the handle over your wrist for a knit and carry container.

cacunn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cacunn For This Useful Post:
G J (04-08-2009), kellybigeyes (04-08-2009), RuthieinMaryland (04-09-2009), victoryah (04-11-2009)
Old 04-08-2009, 04:19 PM   #185
G J
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,960 Times in 862 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to G J
This is a tip I learned the hard way!
When you have to frog part of a garment and re-knit after you already blocked, frog, and use NEW yarn OR put your yarn in hanks and wet it down and let it hang with a weight on it.

I learned this while trying to get the size right for a sweater I'm making for my MIL who is very fussy about fit. So my next tip is:
Don't offer to knit a sweater for a picky MIL!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to G J For This Useful Post:
kellybigeyes (04-08-2009), RuthieinMaryland (04-09-2009), victoryah (04-11-2009)
Old 04-09-2009, 03:21 AM   #186
victoryah
Casting On

First, when i am working a pattern that i am not making up from the top of my head (which happens alot when i crochet, i am new to knitting), i have the pattern put on a zip drive for my laptop. then i can have instant access at anytime. I get migraines from light sources (house lamps, car headlights, computer screens, etc), so i have low level lights in the house. but i can back highlight the lettering on the patterns (make the background black and the letters white) and have less problems, therefore able to do more work. other things about using a laptop for patterns is i can highlight special instructions or repeats, increase fonts when the pattern is very small, etc. plus it cuts out the paperwork and clutter in the livingroom! i keep hard copies in storage somewhere, but since i have backups for the computer, i never need them.

as someone said earlier, i also use the 1 and 2 gallon size zip loc bags for projects or even for storing yarn. i have pets and even tho they are supposed to not get near my projects, they are pets! i keep lint removers nearby and also lint-free cloths (towels) so if i am working on something for a baby or someone outside of family the items are never in contact with animal dander. boy do my cats love baby items!

i keep all buttons and decorations in a small tackle box, boxes sold in the craft section are too expensive!

i mark rounds with small (1/4 inch) remnants of yarn. everyone has snippets around!

victoryah
victoryah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to victoryah For This Useful Post:
kellybigeyes (04-09-2009), RuthieinMaryland (04-09-2009)
Old 04-09-2009, 03:27 AM   #187
victoryah
Casting On

... forgot one thing.... i am into recyling... like everyone else!!! back to the kitties!!!! lots n lots of litter!!! i use the plastic pails the litter comes in for storing yarn in or my current projects. is tall enough to hold the tallest of knitting needles. some of the containers have nice lids that fit back easily on. i cover with a piece of material i have sewn and put elastic in the top and bottom so it fits over it... no one can see that it is a kitty litter box!

the boxes stack perfectly on top of each other for storage, as well....
victoryah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to victoryah For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2009, 06:11 AM   #188
allynealy
Casting On

I haven't read this whole thread, but I think this is a good idea. One of my friends had bought this plastic container to hold yarn. I took an old Folgers can (the big one) and cut a hole in the top. I really like it and can keep a couple of extra needles and the yarn in it.
Sorry if this is a repost.
allynealy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allynealy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2009, 11:42 AM   #189
knittingincarolina
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by Hogheaven59 View Post
Great idea!
That's a great idea. Where I work, I have an empty oatmeal container every other day. I'll start bringing some home and pass this tip along to my knitting group at work.
knittingincarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to knittingincarolina For This Useful Post:
kellybigeyes (04-10-2009), RuthieinMaryland (06-02-2009)
Old 04-10-2009, 11:45 AM   #190
knittingincarolina
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by victoryah View Post

i keep all buttons and decorations in a small tackle box, boxes sold in the craft section are too expensive!

victoryah
I used a clear cannister from a set that I bought for another use. I have been known to use very clean mayo jars.

I can fully relate to the migraines, I have them too. Makes it very hard to knit The new blood pressure meds I'm on has cut mine in half, and reduced the severity and lenght of the ones I do get.
knittingincarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to knittingincarolina For This Useful Post:
kellybigeyes (04-10-2009), RuthieinMaryland (06-02-2009), victoryah (04-11-2009)