Old 04-16-2009, 07:33 PM   #191
MrsWildchild
Ribbing the Cuff

Like others have said, I'm new and I probably don't have much, and probably nothing that isn't obvious, but these are some of the things I do:

1. I do use paper and pen, if, say, the instructions are to knit rows 32-39 evenly, I just write down those numbers and cross them off as they are done. Or for other patterns, such as decreasing rows on DPNs or whatever.

2. I keep all my knitting stuff in a plastic bin: patterns and books in the bottom, DPNs in their original envelopes, leftover yarn (all in plastic ziplock bags with their labels), and other knitting notions.

3. I have a knitting ruler with the holes in it for identifying unmarked needles.

4. My biggest fear when I started was a needle slipping out, so I bought some rubber point protectors. People would laugh at me seeing me knit in the round on DPNs with these 6 big red points jostling around!

5. Speaking of knitting in the round on DPNs, when I had to start with a very small number of stitches, like 8, or 4 (I don't do i-cord), in order to identify which way the needles should point ('cause they do twist around before you get to them), I would mark one end of each needle (all the lefts or all the rights) with these point protectors.

6. I try to foresee any parts of the pattern that should be marked, such as where you started decreasing, if you need to find it later.

7. If I am doing matching parts (2 legs of a stuffed toy) and the pattern only says to work for a certain number of inches, I also keep track of how many rows it took to get to that length, and try to do the same on the other.

8. I use small rings of yarn as stitch markers, because they are very flexible, and come in a unlimited number of colours, can be made to size, and are easily removed.

9. I love my new interchangeable needles, and I change the length of my cable a lot, depending on how comfortable it feels.

10. My grandmother-in-law always uses safety pins to mark things, including the right side.

11. I generally work with a copy of the pattern instead of the original, so I can mark on it, it won't get lost or torn by my daughter, etc.

12. When knitting in the round on DPNs, I vary the spot where the needle change occurs, to avoid vertical lines caused by tension changes. When doing magic loop, I leave the last 1-2 stitches that were worked on the right needle.

13. I bought a couple of balls of yarn at the dollar store, and whenever there's a new technique or something I'm not sure of how to do I test it out on the cheap yarn first.

That's all I can think of for now. I'll let you know if there are any more.
MrsWildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MrsWildchild For This Useful Post:
cacunn (04-17-2009), Gertie (04-16-2009), kellybigeyes (04-16-2009), RuthieinMaryland (06-02-2009)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-16-2009, 07:44 PM   #192
MrsWildchild
Ribbing the Cuff

A couple more:

14. I try to calculate the approximate number of stitches in the entire project. This helps me to estimate yarn requirements, time involved (if I am on a deadline), etc.

15. If I am trying to figure out yarn requirements, etc, I'll measure off a given length of working yarn, say, 20 inches from where it leaves the last stitch worked, toward the ball, and mark it with a clothespin. Then I work say 10 stitches, measure what's left of this measured yarn, subtract to find out, say, that 10 stitches took 12 inches of yarn, so 10000 stitches will take about 333 yards, if my math is correct.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MrsWildchild For This Useful Post:
cacunn (04-17-2009), Gertie (04-16-2009), kellybigeyes (04-16-2009), RuthieinMaryland (06-02-2009)
Old 04-16-2009, 10:08 PM   #193
Gertie
Knitting the Flap

MrsWildchild - Great ideas.
>9. I love my new interchangeable needles, and I change the length of my cable a lot, depending on how comfortable it feels.<

What kind of interchangeables? I really like my Denise.
Gertie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gertie For This Useful Post:
kellybigeyes (04-16-2009), RuthieinMaryland (06-02-2009)
Old 04-17-2009, 11:16 AM   #194
G J
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,960 Times in 862 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to G J
Gertie, I LOVE my KnitPicks options.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to G J For This Useful Post:
kellybigeyes (04-17-2009), RuthieinMaryland (06-02-2009)
Old 04-17-2009, 07:36 PM   #195
MrsWildchild
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by Gertie View Post
MrsWildchild - Great ideas.
>9. I love my new interchangeable needles, and I change the length of my cable a lot, depending on how comfortable it feels.<

What kind of interchangeables? I really like my Denise.
Yes, mine are, too, though I didn't necessarily choose them because I thought they were superior. I don't have the luxury of a local yarn shop. The only real craft store around here had never heard of them (my husband was going to get some as a gift). So I mail-ordered them. The prices of the Denise ones, and their shipping rates were reasonable, so that's really why I got them, but I really am satisfied with them. Of course I didn't have the pleasure of comparing any other ones by physically examining them and trying them out. By the reviews everyone is giving on this forum, all the popular sets are good choices. After using them a little bit, though, I wonder if the cables on other brands are thinner or more flexible. All in all, a good buy, anyway.

Happy knitting!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrsWildchild For This Useful Post:
kellybigeyes (04-17-2009), RuthieinMaryland (06-02-2009)
Old 04-18-2009, 12:26 AM   #196
Gertie
Knitting the Flap

[quote=MrsWildchild;1223721]By the reviews everyone is giving on this forum, all the popular sets are good choices. After using them a little bit, though, I wonder if the cables on other brands are thinner or more flexible. All in all, a good buy, anyway.QUOTE]

Right. From what I've read, all the major brands have their advantages.

I've heard that the others' cables are thinner. Since I don't do magic loop, this doesn't bother me. I like the Denise cables. I also like that I don't have to be concerned about the tips unscrewing. Also, the points don't hurt my right index finger. But this is just another matter of personal choice.

On the interchangeables, we really need to follow the rule of agreeing to disagree. (But of course we must follow that rule all the time.)

Have a good weekend!
kellybigeyes (04-18-2009), RuthieinMaryland (06-02-2009)
Old 04-18-2009, 12:28 AM   #197
Gertie
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by G J View Post
Gertie, I LOVE my KnitPicks options.
Good. I'm glad you found a set that works for you.

You have a good weekend, also.
kellybigeyes (04-18-2009), RuthieinMaryland (06-02-2009)
Old 06-05-2009, 08:04 AM   #198
JudiToots
Ribbing the Cuff

I have been knitting for 2 years but I have only done 3 scarves. The first scarf was for DH. I was a newbie and didn't know the best way to introduce a new skein plus the dye lots weren't the same. He likes it anyway. The second scarf was for me. I used 2 strands of Homespun and size 17 needles. Made a mistake on it and it sat for 8 months until I finally had my sister fix it for me last Thanksgiving. Last week, I finished a scarf for DS #2. He loves it even though it isn't anything special...just k1, p1. This week, I am really getting brave. I am making a hat to match DH's scarf. I bought circular needles and a contrasting yarn. So far, it is going well...once I got used to holding the circular needles.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I have made a document with all the ones that I would like to implement.

"She seeks out wool and flax and works with willing hands [to develop it]." Proverbs 31:13 AMP
"Make it your ambition and definitely endeavor to live quietly and peacefully, to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands..." 1 Thessalonians 4:11 AMP
JudiToots is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JudiToots For This Useful Post:
kellybigeyes (06-05-2009), RuthieinMaryland (06-18-2009)
Old 06-05-2009, 10:34 AM   #199
Arielluria
Instepping Out

Way to go. Hats are great and quick and get you to feeling like an expert! Plus, getting brave is what advances your knitting! Who cares WHAT it looks like in the end? If a designer makes a wonky-looking scarf they call it an innovative idea, but if a beginner does it it's a mistake?!? I think NOT!

My knitting advanced by leaps and bounds when I found KH because the videos totally showed me 'I can do THAT'!!!!!!!!!!!!! So my 2nd FO after finding KH was a fair isle dog sweater, thanks to that KH video! Needless to say, KH ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So just go for it, EVERYONE! 'If it doesn't fit, you don't HAVE to a gift'..........ok, ok, I know, bad play on an old O.J. joke. But the point is, if it doesn't fit or goes awry there's no shame in ripping back and starting over! I've made 2 hats which turned out badly because I didn't bother to gauge swatch and substituted yarn which (if you look in my Ravelry projects page) are funny because one looks more like a yalmulke and the other is so tiny it fits my tiniest dog's head. Made for a good picture on Ravelry but might be too small even for a premie.

We learn much more from our mistakes then from our successes someone once said.

OK, off my pep-talk soap-box now. to all my KH family and may you all have a blessed and wonderful weekend. I know I will because DH and I made up. Around here that means AND pizza! And if I'm lucky even a little yarn.
A righteous man has regard for the life of his animal (Proverbs 12:10)
Adopt a pet PETFINDER.COM

Free patternns on My blog or on Ravelry:
Arielluria is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arielluria For This Useful Post:
kellybigeyes (06-05-2009), MsBehavin (07-30-2009), RuthieinMaryland (06-18-2009)
Old 06-05-2009, 11:18 AM   #200
JudiToots
Ribbing the Cuff

Arielluria,

Thanks for the pep talk. It's encouraging. Perhaps I will try to take a picture of the hat so far. (I'm actually just making up the pattern as I go so I don't know how it will turn out.)

Are you also Arielluria on Ravelry?

BTW, I like your scripture (in sig).

"She seeks out wool and flax and works with willing hands [to develop it]." Proverbs 31:13 AMP
"Make it your ambition and definitely endeavor to live quietly and peacefully, to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands..." 1 Thessalonians 4:11 AMP
JudiToots is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JudiToots For This Useful Post:
kellybigeyes (06-05-2009), RuthieinMaryland (06-18-2009)