Old 04-27-2010, 06:21 PM   #231
cacunn
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,103 Times in 826 Posts
My questions is 1) why buy what is at the end of your leg? and would any commercially available "mannequin foot" really match your foot?

I do like idea of displaying some of my socks on "mannequin feet."

cacunn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cacunn For This Useful Post:
RuthieinMaryland (04-28-2010)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-07-2010, 07:08 PM   #232
wellslipmystitches
Knitting the Flap

I'm all for easy!
Shandeh mentioned some time ago that she uses a music stand to support her patterns, also that she's an English knitter like me. How fast must one knit when every stitch and article is knit with love? I'm a musician and I've given my music stands to grandbabies whom I've taught to play various instruments, so now, in order to escape a pain in the neck I use an old picture holder that works for holding most patterns and pattern books. You can use a cookbook holder, although they're rather pricey. Get a plate holder at the $1 store and it'll work. You can put it on a table and see a pattern upright without straining your neck. Not a grand idea but maybe helpful.
Jean
wellslipmystitches is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wellslipmystitches For This Useful Post:
RuthieinMaryland (05-07-2010)
Old 05-31-2010, 11:56 AM   #233
hyperactive
Working the Gusset

My tip is from my high school teacher in crafts:

you know when needles (metal) get "non-gliding"? and the stitches just won't move? Sometimes it is the yarn, most likely sweaty fingers are the problem.

Well, take the needle and rub it over your scalp (under the hair) for a few seconds. CAREFUL! it DOES have a pointy end or two!

The natural "wool fat" you provide helps perfectly! It is logical but still surprising when you hear it first.

Does anyone else do it? Do you get funny looks in public?
hyperactive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hyperactive For This Useful Post:
RuthieinMaryland (06-01-2010)
Old 06-07-2010, 09:48 AM   #234
ajsgramma
Ribbing the Cuff

Or you could used waxed paper...cereal bags
Originally Posted by hyperactive View Post
Does anyone else do it? Do you get funny looks in public?
I even use this technique on needlepoint needles when they need a little extra glide. If your hair isn't oily enough a sheet of waxed paper to rub the needles with works great, too. I save cereal bags for the waxed paper in them. (((HUGS)))Verna
ajsgramma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ajsgramma For This Useful Post:
hyperactive (06-07-2010), RuthieinMaryland (06-08-2010)
Old 06-07-2010, 11:04 AM   #235
cacunn
Instepping Out

When fly fishing I will rub the one end of a multi-piece rod along the side of my nose to pick up some oil. It makes it easier to separate the rod section at the end of the day. I wonder if this would also work for knitting needles. A little oil and then spread it along the needle with my finger tips?

RuthieinMaryland (06-08-2010)
Old 06-07-2010, 11:18 AM   #236
hyperactive
Working the Gusset

the nose trick works, too. But I was afraid, someone would poke themselves in the eye!
And I think, the hair trick works a little better.
Real oil I would hate to be on my stitches. And it will probably rub off too soon.
hyperactive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hyperactive For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2010, 11:22 AM   #237
cacunn
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by hyperactive View Post
. . . But I was afraid, someone would poke themselves in the eye! . . .
Why do you think my avatar's eyes are crossed?

Old 09-16-2010, 09:28 AM   #238
AIR
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via MSN to AIR
Funny advice
1. (This can be useful ) I like knitting in the air especially in summer, but the weather is sunny and your fingers become sweaty, especially when you use wool yarn. I accidentally found out that regular sanitizer can help that problem for quite a long time.

2. (For those who have little girl friends ) One of my friends has a daughter of about 7 years old, who can not knit. Most time we meet at the lake near the forest. If you like to work in the open air, you know that the yarn may sometimes be on the ground, you have to pull the thread out of the yarn. But if you have someone interested in how you are kneetting, she always can help you, and you both will be happy: you do not have problems and the girl make the first steps in knitting. Motivate people around you and they sure will help you

3. (For those who get tired ) Some times I can end my project in a several months, why? Because I'm tired of it. The environment is changing you have more ideas... so just give you a break and you'll see how fast you'll finish it. You mind just like to do something special about yur project, but need time to think. Please, care about your creativity , it is the most important thing in the project!
AIR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AIR For This Useful Post:
RuthieinMaryland (09-16-2010)
Old 09-19-2010, 01:34 PM   #239
CountryNaturals
Knitting the Flap

I'm working on a small, flat project using large circular needles. The nylon cable part kept getting in my way so I let it loop naturally behind my work and stuck a clip clothespin on it to weight it down. Works great! I'm guessing a large bead or clip-on earring would probably work, too.
CountryNaturals is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CountryNaturals For This Useful Post:
cacunn (09-20-2010), Gertie (09-27-2010), luvmykid28 (09-25-2010), RuthieinMaryland (09-19-2010), sgtpam (09-19-2010)
Old 09-19-2010, 02:04 PM   #240
RuthieinMaryland
Turning the Heel

Location: I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland - GREAT steamed crab country! :o)
Suz!

That's brilliant! And it really helps with an entrelac project I've been working on, knitting flat but using circs. Wowser! Thanks so much!

Ruthie :o)

PS - Great website! I just checked it out and it's just grand! Love the graphics tips, am going back for more!