Old 09-19-2010, 02:32 PM   #241
CountryNaturals
Knitting the Flap

Thank you for the nice words. I'm crabby this morning and that really cheered me up.
CountryNaturals is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CountryNaturals For This Useful Post:
RuthieinMaryland (09-22-2010)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-22-2010, 03:07 PM   #242
RuthieinMaryland
Turning the Heel

Location: I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland - GREAT steamed crab country! :o)
Originally Posted by CountryNaturals View Post
Thank you for the nice words. I'm crabby this morning and that really cheered me up.
Hi, Suz!

Glad to hear it! I come from "crab" country so I can relate to that! Except the crabs around here get steamed with Old Bay Seasoning and Beer!

Ruthie
Old 09-22-2010, 03:47 PM   #243
cacunn
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,103 Times in 826 Posts
Originally Posted by RuthieinMaryland View Post
Hi, Suz!

Glad to hear it! I come from "crab" country so I can relate to that! Except the crabs around here get steamed with Old Bay Seasoning and Beer!

Ruthie

Crabs, did I hear some say they had steamed crabs? I need a trip to Kent Island. There is a hotel within walking distance of a crab house. Pick crabs and drink beer for a couple of hours and you don't have to worry about driving home, just weaving back to the hotel.

I can feel the Old Bay in the cuts on my fingers from picking crabs. not from the salt in the cuts, it has just been to long since my last good crab feast.

cacunn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cacunn For This Useful Post:
RuthieinMaryland (09-22-2010)
Old 09-22-2010, 03:54 PM   #244
RuthieinMaryland
Turning the Heel

Location: I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland - GREAT steamed crab country! :o)
Oh my gosh! Another crabaholic!!! And in dire need of a crab feed!!!

The best crabs around here usually can be found this month and even next month. They're nice and fat, having escaped the crabbers all season. But once they're in a crabaholic's clutches.....

Here's hoping you get your crab feed soon! :o)

Ruthie
cacunn (09-22-2010)
Old 09-22-2010, 07:33 PM   #245
CountryNaturals
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by RuthieinMaryland View Post
Hi, Suz!

Ruthie
YIKES! I'm sorry I said anything. I really don't want to be steamed in beer. I promise to be more cheerful in the future.
CountryNaturals is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CountryNaturals For This Useful Post:
RuthieinMaryland (09-24-2010)
Old 10-06-2010, 12:08 PM   #246
AmyV
Casting On

Tips
I read this whole thread over the last couple days. THANK you to everyone who posted. I picked up a couple GREAT tips.

Most of my tips were already posted, but I have a few that weren't expressly covered:

1. When putting my work down or throwing it into my project bag to go, I wrap a rubber band around the pointed ends of the needles so my work can't slip off. If you're using straight needles (I use circulars for everything) this will also prevent you from losing a needle or having to dig for it. If you're using DPNs I would just use a DPN holder or point protectors. I'm totally paranoid about this esp. since I use super slippery needles.

2. I love to find new uses for old objects. I use a retainer case to hold my necessities that I keep with my current WIP (yes, I only have 1 at a time on the needles). It holds a rubber band, retractable measuring tape, yarn needles, st markers, a row counter, lifeline floss, small fold up scissors, knit picks keys, safety pins, and tiny butterfly clips. I just added a bobby pin last night thanks to someone else's tip!

3. I would suggest not only learning to read your sts, but learn different ways to knit like Portuguese and Combination (eastern uncrossed). You may find one of these ways is less taxing or faster. You also don't get rowing out with Combination knitting. My knits and purls are the same tension and purls are just as quick and easy as knit sts.

4. I have a set of Knit Picks Options and Denise interchangeables. I couldn't live without them. There are some sizes and cord lengths offered in each that aren't offered in the other, so between the 2 I have everything covered. Plus if I need a second set of the same size/length at the same time I have it. I like to knit 2 identical objects (sleeves, etc) at the same time on separate needles to avoid tangling.

5. Take full advantage of KH, YouTube, and the knitting chart maker by Jacquie (http://jacquie.typepad.com/Charts/knitChart.htm). I've learned so many new techniques, had SO many questions answered, and started designing my own cables with these indispensible sites.

6. I also crochet. I had a mini Maglite flashlight that came in a hard case. I took out the plastic insert that cradled the flashlight and it's the perfect size to hold all my hooks!

Happy
AmyV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AmyV For This Useful Post:
RuthieinMaryland (10-06-2010)
Old 10-06-2010, 03:39 PM   #247
RuthieinMaryland
Turning the Heel

Thanks so much!
Hi!

I'm so glad you took the time to read all the tips! Aren't they awesome? This is such a knowledgeable group and so generous in their willingness to share!

Your tips are excellent, too! I was just doing a Fair Isle sample piece to practice the technique (it's a small bag!) and thought I'd use it to make a traveling accessories kit to keep in my to-go project bag. You reminded me of some of the things that need to go in it. Thanks!

Happy knitting, Amy,

Ruthie
AmyV (10-13-2010)
Old 10-06-2010, 10:08 PM   #248
Gertie
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by AmyV View Post
3. I would suggest not only learning to read your sts, but learn different ways to knit like Portuguese and Combination (eastern uncrossed). You may find one of these ways is less taxing or faster. You also don't get rowing out with Combination knitting. My knits and purls are the same tension and purls are just as quick and easy as knit sts.
Rowing out? I've heard that with combination knitting on st st, both sides of the st are the same instead on one side being more verticle. Is this what you're referring to?
Gertie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gertie For This Useful Post:
RuthieinMaryland (10-13-2010)
Old 10-13-2010, 03:31 AM   #249
davidwilson
Casting On

Originally Posted by Alyce View Post
I love the idea of writing info of the front of the bag. I think if I had to look at the date I started a project every time I picked it up I might work a little harder on it. LOL.
Seriously, I think it is a good way to keep that info handy.
My tip is: I always make a working copy of my pattern so I can mark on it or whatever. The original stays in a plastic sleeve in my notebook of patterns. I'm only a little organized though. I don't even have them in Alphabetical order.
Hi, Jax! Your advice is worth a LOT more than 2 cents! I have no little ones to disturb my knitting, but I manage to "disturb" it all the time! So just yesterday I bought a large rectangular lined straw bag to tuck things away in when I'm not knitting. I've been forever having to get my DH to move the sofa so I can retrieve needles, stitch markers, etc. Not any more! Thanks.
RuthieinMaryland (10-13-2010)
Old 10-13-2010, 01:35 PM   #250
AmyV
Casting On

Rowing out
Originally Posted by Gertie View Post
Rowing out? I've heard that with combination knitting on st st, both sides of the st are the same instead on one side being more verticle. Is this what you're referring to?
Hi Gertie,
Rowing out has to do with uneven tension. Here's a picture and a better explanation than I can give: http://www.girlfromauntie.com/journa...s-of-knitting/

AmyV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AmyV For This Useful Post:
Gertie (10-13-2010), RuthieinMaryland (10-13-2010)