Old 01-28-2011, 04:13 PM   #261
Nicky10
Casting On

errr I'd like to do a Norwegian pattern with blue and white colors.

http://www.freevintageknitting.com/m...s-pattern.html

like this just in horizontally.
Nicky10 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nicky10 For This Useful Post:
RuthieinMaryland (02-07-2011)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-30-2011, 03:53 PM   #262
Gertie
Knitting the Flap

Wow! Those look really nice. This site has a video on two color knitting. Go up to Free Videos then Advanced Techniques. Hope it helps. Have fun.
Gertie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gertie For This Useful Post:
Nicky10 (02-01-2011)
Old 02-01-2011, 09:39 AM   #263
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,845 Times in 1,909 Posts
Originally Posted by Nicky10 View Post
errr I'd like to do a Norwegian pattern with blue and white colors. http://www.freevintageknitting.com/m...s-pattern.html
like this just in horizontally.
This is considered "stranded" or "Fair-Isle" knitting.
Amy did a video on this here on our website, and you'll find several other tutorials online. It's an advanced technique that takes lots of practice. Good luck!
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shandeh For This Useful Post:
Nicky10 (02-01-2011), RuthieinMaryland (02-07-2011)
Old 02-01-2011, 03:49 PM   #264
Nicky10
Casting On

thank you Gertie and Shandeh for your help!!)
RuthieinMaryland (02-07-2011)
Old 02-07-2011, 04:13 PM   #265
RuthieinMaryland
Turning the Heel

Location: I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland - GREAT steamed crab country! :o)
Fair Isle video...
Hi!

This is a super video. It gives the method of Fair Isle knitting that will avoid all floats of yarn on the back of the fabric and give you a nice, neat woven back. I love this one!

http://www.philosopherswool.com/Page...andedvideo.htm

I sent this to you in a private message as well in case you didn't check back here. Thanks, by the way, for the great link to those awesome Fair Isle mittens!

Happy knitting,

Ruthie
Old 02-13-2011, 04:59 PM   #266
Little Audrey
Ribbing the Cuff

My old trick, my new trick
Greetings all! My old trick: I make copies of my patterns as I use them. I scan them in to my computer and convert them to a text format that I can edit (removing the extra size units!). When I have a satisfactory copy, I print it out. I scribble notes on it as I go along (e.g., increase by knitting in row below instead of yarn over - yo leaves gaps!). After completing the project, I edit the copy on my computer and also keep the scribbled-up version in a notebook. My new trick: I use mini-craft-clothespins to keep my stitches from migrating along (or off) the cable of a circular needle! I am knitting two sweaters - one a large man's sweater, the other a top-down cardigan. I was using chrome-plated needles for both and struggling because everytime I pushed stitches up to the tips, they slid back down onto the cable of their own weight! I switched to Knit-Picks wood tips, which was better, but still struggling (I have such a bad arthritis in my left little finger, that I cannot grip the stitches low on the needle tip). Since I use mini-clothes pins when making tiny teddy bears, a bunch of those little pins were right there when the light went on over my head! I now use these little pins to keep the stitches moving along. Just clip them on the cable after pushing the stitches up, and also to keep the work from slipping off the needles altogether. See my photos.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	littlepins.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	55256  Click image for larger version

Name:	keeping.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	55257  
Little Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Little Audrey For This Useful Post:
cacunn (02-14-2011), Gertie (02-13-2011), noseysheep (02-25-2011), RuthieinMaryland (02-24-2011)
Old 02-13-2011, 05:05 PM   #267
Little Audrey
Ribbing the Cuff

I had the same problem, but solved it by slipping the sleeve stitches to a piece of yarn, drawing it up snug, clipping the first and last stitches together with a safety-pin type stitch marker, clipping the corresponding body stitches the same way, and joining the the clips with small, split-ring stitch markers.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:08 PM   #268
Little Audrey
Ribbing the Cuff

My REALLY old trick ...
Ever had your knitting basket tipped over (by yourself??)? I finally I got so crazy keeping my stuff together, I bought a hackle cabinet (online, from Cabela's, it came unassembled, but putting it together was easy). Oh, a hackle cabinet is a little chest of drawers (on wheels) which is used to store supplies for making fly fishing lures .... Half the drawers are the right size for spools of thread, needles, scissors, etc. and the others are good sizes for yarn, half-completed projects, chart keepers, etc. And everything is right next to my rocking chair! If you don't want to spend that kind of money, a rolling plastic set of storage drawers works (even if it is homely and the drawers are not so conveniently sized).
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Audrey For This Useful Post:
RuthieinMaryland (02-24-2011)
Old 02-25-2011, 12:04 PM   #269
Little Audrey
Ribbing the Cuff

I hate DPs & I am so stupid
I truly hate DPs (my grandmother taught me to knit on a set of German-silver ones -very heavy, super slippery- hold up the work and the needles fall out)!!! Working the sleeve of a top-downer in the round & trying not to: poke the ends of the needles into the sweater I am knitting, the sweater I am wearing or my eyes, I had an inspiration... Now I am knitting my sleeve on two circular needles (one is a short, fixed needle with small tips). I am so stupid. I should have thought of this years ago.
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Audrey For This Useful Post:
RuthieinMaryland (02-25-2011)
Old 02-25-2011, 12:14 PM   #270
Nicky10
Casting On

Hello again everyone! First of all I'd like to post a photo of my first work that's what I made so far

http://img576.imageshack.us/i/imgp2987j.jpg/

and I'd like to knit a V-neck for it but I don't know how to do it:( can anybody help me please?
RuthieinMaryland (02-25-2011)