Old 08-04-2008, 03:23 PM   #61
Viridian
1st Leg of the Journey

I don't have many tips that I don't think are common sense when it comes to knitting, but here goes.

1. I'm in the lifeline party. Add them. I do this especially when I'm doing cables, where I'll have an 8-10 row repeat and it's impossible for me to figure out where to pick up.

2. Figure out what ALL stitches look like. Knits, purls, twisted, k2togs, ssks, m1. All of them. It'll make figuring out where you are LOADS easier.

3. You don't need to wash your ready-to-felt projects for felting. Merely dampen it in a sink and toss it in the dryer with towels and/or jeans. Works just as well!

4. Forget where the beginning of the round is? Look for the tail. Unless you knit part of it in, it'll tell you exactly where the beginning is.

5. Do not fear the frog. Do not resent the frog. Love the frog. It's hard, I know, but it must be done.

Blog - http://www.viridianflare.net

My usual state of being:
Viridian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Viridian For This Useful Post:
kellybigeyes (08-04-2008), princessbonniejane (09-05-2008), RuthieinMaryland (08-04-2008)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-04-2008, 03:29 PM   #62
Knit4Pie
Turning the Heel

Quote:
5. Do not fear the frog. Do not resent the frog. Love the frog. It's hard, I know, but it must be done.
I love this! This has to be one of the hardest things. I'm well acquainted with the frog, but don't know if I'll ever love the frog!

Visit my blog Knitting for Patience
Knit4Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Knit4Pie For This Useful Post:
kellybigeyes (08-04-2008), RuthieinMaryland (08-04-2008)
Old 08-04-2008, 03:36 PM   #63
Viridian
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by Knit4Pie View Post
I love this! This has to be one of the hardest things. I'm well acquainted with the frog, but don't know if I'll ever love the frog!
Truth be told, I don't love the frog yet either. It's more of, when it shows up, I sigh to calm myself and force myself to understand why it has to be done.

It doesn't mean I don't want to cry any less.

Blog - http://www.viridianflare.net

My usual state of being:
Viridian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Viridian For This Useful Post:
kellybigeyes (08-04-2008), RuthieinMaryland (08-04-2008)
Old 08-15-2008, 03:23 PM   #64
RuthieinMaryland
Turning the Heel

Location: I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland - GREAT steamed crab country! :o)
Continental video
Hi!

I just had a confusion about purling in continental cleared up. I noticed that Amy in the videos uses her middle finger to place the yarn around the needle in the purl stitch. I did it that way, too, although it was kind of awkward. Then I found this video which is an excellent demo of continental knitting. By positioning the yarn so it goes across the backs of three fingers, I'm able to dip my index finger to form the purl stitch very easily and smoothly. Check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuRLF...eature=related

Thanks!
Ruthie
RuthieinMaryland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to RuthieinMaryland For This Useful Post:
ajsgramma (11-08-2009), annlittle1 (01-10-2009), Autodidact (01-13-2009), GirlFreitag (03-16-2011), joulesb (10-11-2010), KathleenG (02-01-2009), kellybigeyes (08-15-2008), knittynewbie (03-03-2009), kristaj (08-15-2008), laikabear (08-15-2008), princessbonniejane (09-05-2008), RetaJ (04-19-2009)
Old 08-15-2008, 03:40 PM   #65
laikabear
Turning the Heel

Ruthie! There is another thread on KH right now about Continental purling being difficult and I was thinking the same thing. I knit just like the lady in that video! I tried making a video myself to show the OP the difference in using your index finger (I think it's so much less awkward). OMG, it is hard to make videos with just yourself and no tripod!

Anyway, mine's on my blog if anyone wants to see it (I am knitting with Malabrigo, at least ). But the one you posted was great!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to laikabear For This Useful Post:
kellybigeyes (08-15-2008), princessbonniejane (09-05-2008), RuthieinMaryland (08-16-2008)
Old 08-15-2008, 04:23 PM   #66
JamOKnit
Knitting the Flap

Since I just bought myself a ball winder and have been winding yarn balls like crazy, I've had to figure out a system to label the balls so I know what yarn it is. I take the band from the skein or hank, fold it flat, punch a hole in the corner with a single hole puncher, and then thread about a 6-inch piece of the yarn through it and tie a knot. Then I collect all of the paper bands in a multi-page clear protector and stick it in my three-ring binder with my patterns. Then, if I need to identify a ball of yarn, I can simply compare to my mini-samples to find out the name, colorway, weight, etc. Plus it helps me remember which yarn brands I like and have bought in the past.

I'm JamOKnit on Ravelry.
JamOKnit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JamOKnit For This Useful Post:
G J (08-17-2008), KathleenG (02-01-2009), kellybigeyes (08-15-2008), nephthys8 (09-01-2008), RuthieinMaryland (08-16-2008), Sunni (08-18-2008)
Old 08-15-2008, 04:42 PM   #67
hartleystudio
Knitting the Flap

Wow, this is great!

Here's my tip...I have two little ones and they like my row counter as well. (click-click-click that's fun!!!) I keep the pattern in a clear page protector and keep a china marker or a sharpie with me and I make notes on the page protector. I tick off rows, make corrections or changes. Then when I'm done I wipe off notes I don't want to keep and copy the pattern in the page protector and keep them together for the next time I want to make the pattern. (usually for a second sock)

Thanks to everyone for all the tips and tricks!!!

I'm on Etsy when I'm not knitting...

http://www.hartleystudio.etsy.com

I'm Hartleystudio on Ravelry too!!
hartleystudio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hartleystudio For This Useful Post:
ajsgramma (11-08-2009), kellybigeyes (08-15-2008), RuthieinMaryland (08-16-2008)
Old 08-16-2008, 02:40 AM   #68
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,843 Times in 1,908 Posts
Love this thread!

Originally Posted by Karina View Post
...when I buy magazines, book or patterns the first thing I do is scan the patterns that I really like so they are on the computer and I can print out a copy whenever I need one.
I do the same thing! I keep all my scanned knitting patterns in a designated file on my computer. Occasionally, I burn a CD with all my knitting patterns on it. I like being able to carry all of my favorite patterns with me at once like that. I can look at them on my home computer, or my laptop, or my friend's computer, at the library, or wherever I want.
Originally Posted by Limey View Post
Sometimes when I copy and paste a free pattern into a word document, I have a good look at how the pattern stitches are set out in the type...........I find going through the pattern and highlighting each * in a different colour and using bold, *is well worth the couple of minutes it takes to do
I do this also, and I put the stitch patterns into easy-to-read rows, in a LARGE FONT, BOLDED. It makes it much easier to follow.

Here are a couple of my tips:
1) I use a music stand to hold my current pattern in front of my knitting chair. This leaves my hands free to work, and I can easily read the pattern.

2) When I first started learning to knit, I would use two different colored straight needles. This way, I was able to pay attention to what happened with each row of stitches. For example, if I was doing stockinette, I would do the purl row with a PINK needle, and the knit row with the other needle. This way, when I was using the pink needle, I would know it was time to purl. It really helped me understand what was happening with the stitches.

3) When I knit socks with dpns, I use dpn point protectors, to make them easier to carry in my knitting bag.
http://knittersreview.com/article_to...t/060601_a.asp
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Shandeh For This Useful Post:
kellybigeyes (08-16-2008), RuthieinMaryland (08-16-2008), Sleepystitcher (05-13-2013), Woodi (03-13-2010)
Old 08-16-2008, 09:50 PM   #69
RuthieinMaryland
Turning the Heel

Location: I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland - GREAT steamed crab country! :o)
Hey, Maureen! :o) Glad you liked that little video on continental purling. It's made an awesome difference to me. I actually finished an afghan panel with sixty 6-row repeats in record time, now that I'm comfortable with the continental purl stitch done the way it was in the video.

I visited your blog, by the way and am looking forward to going through it when I have a bit more time to savor it!

Ruthie
The Following User Says Thank You to RuthieinMaryland For This Useful Post:
kellybigeyes (08-16-2008)
Old 08-17-2008, 09:12 AM   #70
RuthieinMaryland
Turning the Heel

Great tips!
[quote=Shandeh;1142065]Love this thread!

I do the same thing! I keep all my scanned knitting patterns in a designated file on my computer. Occasionally, I burn a CD with all my knitting patterns on it. I like being able to carry all of my favorite patterns with me at once like that. I can look at them on my home computer, or my laptop, or my friend's computer, at the library, or wherever I want.

Hi! Everyone is making this thread totally fantastic!

What great tips! I've been accumulating so much stuff - yarn, accessories, etc., plus patterns and a whole computer section of great stuff - that all these insights into getting them organized and keeping them that way are extremely valuable!

I just recently got a great sale on a put-it-together-yourself 2-door cabinet with six adjustable half-shelves and one long fixed shelf. I've earmarked it for corralling my knitting stuff, which is creeping throughout the house and starting to take over! I've got notebooks started and am using these wonderful tips to really get organized.

Keep them coming! They're wonderful!

Ruthie
The Following User Says Thank You to RuthieinMaryland For This Useful Post:
kellybigeyes (08-17-2008)