Old 08-03-2008, 02:22 AM   #21
auntcrafty
Knitting the Flap

Click image for larger version

Name:	ECS Yarn Wicker Bernat Bamboo Natural Blends.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	49395

I am not liking this yarn at all! It's getting "hairy" and the length of yarn left over when I cast on, shredded off by row 5. I usually wait to weave in the ends until I'm finished, but this time I had to do it before I continued knitting. Not sure the yarn is going to hold up as a shawl/stole.

"....that their hearts may be encouraged, being knit together in love... Colossians 2:2
auntcrafty is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-04-2008, 03:38 AM   #22
Azlynn
1st Leg of the Journey

Awwww Penny that stinks. I saw that yarn online recently and was actually going to try it because I saw reviews that it was soooo soft. I don't think I'll bother with it now after hearing that. I'm sorry that's happening. I wouldn't risk it for the whole shawl...especially after such a loss when it's comfort she needs, not something else that falls apart :(. Have you continued knitting since you noticed it falling apart by row 5, or did you stop there? I'm hoping you haven't gotten too far into it. How much yarn did you buy for it? Maybe we can help figure out what else that yarn would be good for if you decide to change yarns.

As for the Alix's prayer shawl. I've finished with my other projects and I'm back on track. I had no idea it was knitted from the top down, and I had a scare last night when I was looking at some others and noticed mine appeared to be upside down! I emailed another person on Ravelry and asked about it, and she was so nice and wrote back telling me it was knitted from the neck down. I'm SO inexperienced, I have no idea how this is going to turn into a point, but I guess I'll have to trust the pattern.

I have an update picture. You can't really see much since it's bunched up on the needles, but here it is (the white in the picture is dental floss for my lifeline). I have ordered a longer needle so I can spread it out more, and after a couple more repeats I think I'll put it on waste yarn to really spread it out to take a good look. I've noticed a few mistakes, but I'm going to call them "design features" because I don't have time to fix them. lol

Old 08-04-2008, 07:06 AM   #23
farmgirl
1st Leg of the Journey

I haven't gotten much further on my shawl. I have been trying to finish up a sweater for DD and seam my mom's sweater. We took my mom off dialysis and she is not expected to live long so I have been spending most of my time at the nursing home. I really want to get that sweater done so she can wear it. I think I will get it done today and then get back to work on the shawl.

Azlynn, your shawl looks beautiful & I certainly couldn't see any "designer extras"(???) My shawl has a few of those,too!

Lori
"Whatever your hands find to do, do it with all your might." -Ecclesiastes 9:10
farmgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 10:03 PM   #24
Azlynn
1st Leg of the Journey

I'm sorry farmgirl. Could you knit while at the nursing home? :(

My "design features" are specifically of a dropped stitch that was too far down by the time I noticed it, so I just kinda tied it to the one above it, and the middle ridge part shifted over by one stitch after the second repeat. Probably not noticeable to the recipient, but they're huge glaring errors to me. I just pray she doesn't notice them when I give it to her.

I'm starting to feel a lot of pressure. I only have until September 10 to get this done because that's when my MIL is arriving and I really want to give it to her face-to-face instead of mailing, and I just don't know if I can finish on time.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:31 AM   #25
auntcrafty
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by Azlynn View Post
Awwww Penny that stinks. I saw that yarn online recently and was actually going to try it because I saw reviews that it was soooo soft. I don't think I'll bother with it now after hearing that. I'm sorry that's happening. I wouldn't risk it for the whole shawl...especially after such a loss when it's comfort she needs, not something else that falls apart :(. Have you continued knitting since you noticed it falling apart by row 5, or did you stop there? I'm hoping you haven't gotten too far into it. How much yarn did you buy for it? Maybe we can help figure out what else that yarn would be good for if you decide to change yarns.
Love yours! Can't wait to see the end results!

I stopped knitting until I could figure out what else to do. She doesn't know I was planning to send her a comfort shawl, so I can safely stop working on it and make something else with the bamboo later. I have 8 skeins all together and since I don't have to decide what to do with it right now, I'm putting it back in the box. I'm going to be focusing on my other UFOs, the oddball blankets, and dishcloths. I think I would like to make a shawl like yours sometime.

"....that their hearts may be encouraged, being knit together in love... Colossians 2:2
Old 08-06-2008, 03:41 AM   #26
auntcrafty
Knitting the Flap

I'm sorry about your mother, Lori. I hope you were able to finish the sweater for her to wear.

Old 08-06-2008, 01:22 PM   #27
farmgirl
1st Leg of the Journey

I got Mom's sweater seamed up and she wore it last night. My brother and I stayed all night at the nursing home and I just came home to take a shower. I'm glad I was able to give her one last gift. Thank you for your sympathy. What cannot be remedied must be endured.

Lori
"Whatever your hands find to do, do it with all your might." -Ecclesiastes 9:10
farmgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 01:03 PM   #28
Azlynn
1st Leg of the Journey

Lori, I'm so glad you got to give your mom that one last gift and she was able to wear it. That's so sweet I just don't even have the right words for you...

Penny, I'm still weirded out by your yarn problem. I was looking on Ravelry at all the other projects that used that bamboo yarn, and everyone seems to love it. They're using it for toys, tops, hats, etc., and everyone comments on how much they love it. No complaints of breakage or anything. I wonder if it's just the loose ends not being woven in that was splitting. The actually knitted rows didn't break, did they? I know it seems like I'm obsessing on your yarn. haha
Old 08-08-2008, 03:21 AM   #29
auntcrafty
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by Azlynn View Post
Lori, I'm so glad you got to give your mom that one last gift and she was able to wear it. That's so sweet I just don't even have the right words for you...

Penny, I'm still weirded out by your yarn problem. I was looking on Ravelry at all the other projects that used that bamboo yarn, and everyone seems to love it. They're using it for toys, tops, hats, etc., and everyone comments on how much they love it. No complaints of breakage or anything. I wonder if it's just the loose ends not being woven in that was splitting. The actually knitted rows didn't break, did they? I know it seems like I'm obsessing on your yarn. haha
Yes it was just the end, but I have never had a yarn break off like that & all the stitches I had worked got very "hairy" -- which some yarns do -- I don't know. I'll frog and throw away the section of yarn I had knit. I'm wondering if it is because I frogged it more than twice -- but that doesn't make sense if it's supposed to wear well. I should try a different skein to see what happens.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:35 AM   #30
Azlynn
1st Leg of the Journey

Yeah, I certainly wouldn't want to wear something that's going to get all hairy like that. Maybe use another skein and knit a large swatch, then somehow duplicate "wearing." Like carry it around in your purse for a week or so where it'll get bumped and knocked around a lot, just to see how it holds up. That should be pretty telling.

I'm only starting my fourth repeat out of nine of my prayer shawl now. I may only do eight since my MIL is rather short, and it looks like nine repeats may be too big for her. That will save me some time, but I'm still feeling a little stressed about getting it done on time. Eeeeek! Why do I do this to myself?

My son starts school on Monday (10th grade), and I'm potty training my other son, trying to work full time, and I have RA. I don't have time for much knitting at all, much less under a serious time crunch. lol