Old 08-09-2008, 02:14 PM   #31
farmgirl
1st Leg of the Journey

Just checking in quick. I have been at the nursing home since Thursday. Mom still opens her eyes some & squeezes my hand. My brother is with her today.

I am on the fifth repeat of the "d" part. I really want to have the shawl done for when my friend goes to surgery.

You are so busy Azlynn! Don't know how you get as much knitting done as you do!

Lori
"Whatever your hands find to do, do it with all your might." -Ecclesiastes 9:10
farmgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-09-2008, 03:30 PM   #32
Azlynn
1st Leg of the Journey

Lori, It's good that you're getting a break.

I don't know how to count repeats and stuff, but I guess I'm on the third row of section "e" now. I printed out the chart sections and taped them together to make my own since the chart given ends after section "d" I can't figure it out in my head to just add one more repeat and I just know I'd get all confused. So now I have all these very looooong sections of chart to get me through the whole shawl. I'm a very visual person and need that printed chart. lol Plus, by doing it that way, I can make it bigger so I can actually see it.

I don't know how I'm going to get all the knitting done I need to. This is embarrassing, but I work on my shawl while watching TV and sitting in the living room, and I work on another, more mindless project in the bathroom (I can't believe I just admitted that) Plus I have another mindless project going for if I'm talking on the phone since I can't work on my shawl while talking on the phone. I've had to learn to multitask - not a minute wasted. LOL
Old 08-11-2008, 01:56 PM   #33
farmgirl
1st Leg of the Journey

Mom passed away yesterday morning. I was there with her, holding her hand. I am going to miss her so much but I am grateful that she isn't suffering any more.

Lori
Old 08-11-2008, 02:12 PM   #34
Azlynn
1st Leg of the Journey

Lori, I'm so sorry. I know you're grateful that she isn't suffering anymore, but it must still be really hard. I'm glad you got to be there with her. How are you doing with it?
Old 08-11-2008, 06:29 PM   #35
farmgirl
1st Leg of the Journey

I'm really sad she's gone but I keep trying to remember how much she was hurting and that she's in a better place now. I think I'm still kind of numb. Even when you know it's coming it's still kind of a shock at the end. Thankfully my DH is a rock and really takes care of me.

Lori
Old 08-11-2008, 06:57 PM   #36
KnittinMitchie
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to KnittinMitchie Send a message via MSN to KnittinMitchie Send a message via Yahoo to KnittinMitchie Send a message via Skype™ to KnittinMitchie
This shawl is on my list of things to do. I'm also teaching it as a chart reading project. I ordered 5 skeins of Knit Picks Palette in Asphalt Heather. Sadly I have to wait until October to cast on this shawl.

To add to the madness I'm doing Secret of the Stole 3.
Share your Photos of Austin the Bear

Ravelry as KnittinMitchie

KnittinMitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:46 PM   #37
Azlynn
1st Leg of the Journey

Haha Christine, I wish I had done mine in the right order - learn chart reading first, then attempt my shawl. This was my first lace project ever, and my first experience with chart reading. I finally got the hang of it, but it took me a while to get my groove. I tend to jump in with both feet and hope for the best. It's just a good thing my MIL (the recipient of my shawl) really loves me, as she won't care about my errors, if she notices them. lol
Old 08-12-2008, 03:00 AM   #38
Azlynn
1st Leg of the Journey

Okay, here is a progress picture. I just finished what I call chart section "E" even though it actually ends at D. I made my own charts that continue through the end of the pattern. I hate that I had to put it on my bamboo circs, but the one I had it on was getting too short and this is all I had. I can see several mistakes, but I don't think they'll be visible to anyone else. I think my MIL will just see the overall project and will love it. Of course, lace looks like crap until it's blocked (or so I'm told, and it appears that way but when I stretch it out it looks much better).

I'm nervous about starting on chart "F" now! It's HUGE!
Old 08-12-2008, 08:57 AM   #39
farmgirl
1st Leg of the Journey

Terri,
It's so beautiful! I'm sure your MIL will love it! I made a scarf once for MIL (just plain garter stitch) and she thought it was the most wonderful thing in the world!

Lori
Old 08-12-2008, 09:53 AM   #40
KnittinMitchie
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to KnittinMitchie Send a message via MSN to KnittinMitchie Send a message via Yahoo to KnittinMitchie Send a message via Skype™ to KnittinMitchie
Last year I crochet and knitted my MIL a dishcloth and towel set and a coaster, hot pad and dish cloth set. She thought they where wonderful as can be. This year I'm working on knitting her a felted purse I plan to tell her its for her smaller knitting projects cause she has this black purse she carries and loves.
Share your Photos of Austin the Bear

Ravelry as KnittinMitchie

KnittinMitchie is offline   Reply With Quote