Old 08-22-2008, 08:09 AM   #51
farmgirl
1st Leg of the Journey

I'm done knitting but it doesn't look very big. DD, who is 12, tried it on & it fits her! I haven't blocked it yet, will post pic when I get that done. I may have to make a different shawl for my friend that is a bit bigger. I had 10 repeats of the pattern on each side when I finished. I'll let you know what the width & length are.

Lori
"Whatever your hands find to do, do it with all your might." -Ecclesiastes 9:10
farmgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-26-2008, 12:28 PM   #52
Azlynn
1st Leg of the Journey

Well that's not very encouraging! I was hoping 8 repeats was going to be enough. I know it looks small, but I kept hearing the blocking does wonders for that. I'm SO close to running out of time, and I'm just now starting the 8th chart repeat and was hoping this could be my last.

Have you blocked yours yet? What are the measurements pre-blocking, and post-blocking if you have blocked it? I'd really love to hear how much of a difference blocking makes to give me encouragement that I can stop after this chart. lol I really NEED to be done. I may end up just showing it to her when she's here and then finishing it later and mailing it - totally not the way I wanted to do it though.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:57 PM   #53
MsBehavin
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via Yahoo to MsBehavin
Originally Posted by Azlynn View Post
Lori, It's good that you're getting a break.

I don't know how to count repeats and stuff, but I guess I'm on the third row of section "e" now. I printed out the chart sections and taped them together to make my own since the chart given ends after section "d" I can't figure it out in my head to just add one more repeat and I just know I'd get all confused. So now I have all these very looooong sections of chart to get me through the whole shawl. I'm a very visual person and need that printed chart. lol Plus, by doing it that way, I can make it bigger so I can actually see it.

I don't know how I'm going to get all the knitting done I need to. This is embarrassing, but I work on my shawl while watching TV and sitting in the living room, and I work on another, more mindless project in the bathroom (I can't believe I just admitted that) Plus I have another mindless project going for if I'm talking on the phone since I can't work on my shawl while talking on the phone. I've had to learn to multitask - not a minute wasted. LOL
hehehe, you actually should feel fortunate....I know you have 2 boys... but I used to corner my mom in the bathroom for conversations!! lol, she still laughs about it now, but I always said she could not escape and had to pay attention! Anyways, I guess my point is that if you had a girl you may have not even had that quiet time to yourself.
MsBehavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 02:00 PM   #54
MsBehavin
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via Yahoo to MsBehavin
I am really sorry about your mom farmgirl.. I will pray for you and your family
MsBehavin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MsBehavin For This Useful Post:
farmgirl (08-26-2008)
Old 08-28-2008, 09:13 AM   #55
farmgirl
1st Leg of the Journey

Terri,
I should have time to block & measure the shawl this weekend.

Lori
Old 09-01-2008, 12:53 PM   #56
Azlynn
1st Leg of the Journey

I think I'm just going to do the border and hope for the best. It looks small, but from everything I've read, lace really blocks out a lot bigger and it should be okay. I kinda stretched it out and took rough measurements while still on the needles, and I think it will be okay. It'll probably be kinda small, but still a decent size. I just need to be done - I'm out of time and still need time for the border then blocking. I still want to hear your measurements pre- and post-blocking, and I'll share the same of mine. I'm starting my border tonight if I stick with my plan!
Old 09-03-2008, 02:08 PM   #57
KnittinMitchie
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to KnittinMitchie Send a message via MSN to KnittinMitchie Send a message via Yahoo to KnittinMitchie Send a message via Skype™ to KnittinMitchie
I have a question. How many repeats did you do on the shawl I know the chart only has 4 sections.
Share your Photos of Austin the Bear

Ravelry as KnittinMitchie

KnittinMitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 02:22 PM   #58
Azlynn
1st Leg of the Journey

I did 9 section repeats. It says in the instructions just to keep going, adding more repeats as needed. I can't visualize things like that in my head, and I do best with actually reading the chart and not written instructions, so I made my own chart just like the original, only huge, and just cut it out and taped pieces together to make it all big enough.

I'm doing my border right now and should bind off by tomorrow if all goes well. Hopefully it's big enough! It doesn't look big, but I'm hoping it blocks out big. I had to take my chances because I'm out of time.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:28 PM   #59
Azlynn
1st Leg of the Journey

Well, my shawl is done and blocked and ready to gift. That was cutting it really close on time! I only had 5 days to spare by the time I finished. I did the bind-off too tight despite having gone up 3 needle sizes for it, but I didn't have the time or energy to tink back alllll those stitches to try it again, so I blocked it out the best I could, and I'm pretty happy with it. You can see my project page on Ravelry Here.

Here are a couple of pictures in case you don't have Ravelry though:

I can't believe the difference blocking made, and giving it the bath before blocking really brightened up the yarn a LOT! I'm really glad to be done with this! I will be making another lace shawl, but I'll be taking a break for a while and working with some fat yarn for a while. lol
Old 09-07-2008, 09:07 AM   #60
farmgirl
1st Leg of the Journey

Terri,

YOUR SHAWL IS SO BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

I still don't have mine blocked yet. Will post pics when it's done.

Lori