Old 07-23-2008, 05:39 PM   #1
cam90066
Working the Gusset

"Did you make that?"
Over many decades I sewed many of my clothes (including suits, winter coat, etc). I would feel downright embarrassed if someone asked if I'd made something because I thought my tailoring skills were very good. The question carried a negative connotation.

However, with my knitted creations, I feel complimented if someone asks. Does it have to do with the uniqueness of knitted/crocheted pieces and the 'assumption' it's hand-crafted? Is a sewn item expected to look like ready-made? Is there more 'creative license' attached to knitting, crocheting et al? What's your reaction when asked if you made something?

cam

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-23-2008, 06:08 PM   #2
miccisue
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by cam90066 View Post
Over many decades I sewed many of my clothes (including suits, winter coat, etc). I would feel downright embarrassed if someone asked if I'd made something because I thought my tailoring skills were very good. The question carried a negative connotation.

However, with my knitted creations, I feel complimented if someone asks. Does it have to do with the uniqueness of knitted/crocheted pieces and the 'assumption' it's hand-crafted? Is a sewn item expected to look like ready-made? Is there more 'creative license' attached to knitting, crocheting et al? What's your reaction when asked if you made something?

cam
I guess I never bothered to think about the negative connotations of it....probably because the tone of voice tends to have an inflection of "WOW, I can't believe you did that, it must take so much time and effort". I have to admit, I'm proud when someone asks me that.
I knit 50 little drawstring "goodie bags" for our 35th class reunion, and people were really appreciative of the effort put forth for them.....so, yeah, I'm thrilled when someone comments on it.
miccisue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 07:17 PM   #3
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,243 Times in 1,838 Posts
It has gotten to the point where no matter what I'm wearing, if it is in the knit family, someone will ask if I made it--even a Land's End cotton sweater. (I'd have had to use size 000 needles and thread ). Everyone at works knows I knit, so I think they're covering their bases.

I can recognize a hand knit sweater, usually, not because it's "less than" store-bought, but uniquely beautiful.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 08:09 PM   #4
scout52
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Ingrid View Post
I can recognize a hand knit sweater, usually, not because it's "less than" store-bought, but uniquely beautiful.
I love how you state that!! I have gone up to random people when I have seen a recognized pattern in the wild. I always tell them that I love it. Usually it was a gift and then they say they wish they could knit it. Its secret goal to meet fellow knitters and end up with a new friend. Alas I keep meeting the person receiving the gift not the knitter. Doh!
scout52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 11:54 PM   #5
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Quote:
. . . in the wild

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Old 07-24-2008, 09:39 PM   #6
1knittychick
Knitting the Flap

When I made my first scarf and wore it to my son's football games, people wanted to know where did I get it. They practically fell off the bleachers when I told them I made it (I swear some people were looking for the company label!) I really blow their minds when I pull out my needles and knit before the games.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:52 PM   #7
The.Knitter
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,187 Posts
9/10ths of what I knit is usually gifted. I get varying comments from "Wow" to "oh I guess YOU made that did you?" It is all in the tone of voice it is said in as to whether I take it as a compliment (or not). I am proud of my knitting. I think my work looks nice. Knitting is my sanity! Most times I knit for ME, as a way to pass time, but I am thrilled if the person receiving the knitting is pleased and/or wears the item(s) that I have knit.

Find our "Canadian Oddball Blanket KAL" on Ravelry as: OddballBlankets

The.Knitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:28 PM   #8
cam90066
Working the Gusset

Quote:
It is all in the tone of voice it is said in as to whether I take it as a compliment (or not). I am proud of my knitting. I think my work looks nice. Knitting is my sanity! Most times I knit for ME, as a way to pass time, but I am thrilled if the person receiving the knitting is pleased and/or wears the item(s) that I have knit.
So very true as to the inflection and intonation.

I, too, use my knitting for sanity purposes. Interesting that it can be both challenging, frustrating, and yet relaxing at the same time. I've gifted quite a few things but too often never hear back from the person I sent it to or the item is never to be seen again so I wonder what became of it.

cam
Old 07-24-2008, 10:32 PM   #9
Ingrid
Mod Squad

I have also found, as I'm sure you all have, too, that knitters are the ones who truly appreciate a knitted item. Even if someone doesn't knit themselves, if they had a mother or aunt or whatever who knit, they have some idea of what goes into it.

If you make a blanket for someone's new baby, they may think it took you an evening. They often don't know enough to appreciate it.

Just tonight, my daughter showed an intarsia baby blanket that I just finished to a friend of hers. She said that it was cute. If a knitter had seen it, they would have known what went into it.

IngridKH on Ravelry
Old 07-24-2008, 10:54 PM   #10
Debkcs
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,192 Posts
Quote:
She said that it was cute
I've gotten that, but worse so has my husband who paints museum quality 54mm. military figures. "Oh, it's so cute!"

Handmade items look so different from the mass made products, there is just a certain look to them.

"All good things and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of Lights who cannot change."
James 1:17
Debkcs is offline   Reply With Quote