Old 07-27-2008, 11:52 AM   #11
brittyknits
Turning the Heel

Oh-- you mean bilateral schizencephaly! Yes, that's a whole other thing than schizophrenia, and as with your cousin, it is amazing what the certain parts of the brain can do to take over for other damaged parts. Very best thoughts for you and your family!
brittyknits is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-27-2008, 02:50 PM   #12
Azlynn
1st Leg of the Journey

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh that makes much more sense!

I'm in the medical field, and I knew there was a correct term for what she was saying and was wracking my brain trying to figure it out but couldn't.

What a sweet little boy, having such a challenging issue to deal with so early in life. And so lucky to have such a loving family to take him in and love him.

Back to your original question, though, I still have no ideas. Does your family have a website that is set up to accept donations if people wanted to help out that way? I'm assuming you have a church that may be willing to help some? You can only sell so much knitting, and in such a short amount of time, I worry it won't be much help. :(
Old 07-27-2008, 04:11 PM   #13
Tropicflower24
Turning the Heel

Quote:
Back to your original question, though, I still have no ideas. Does your family have a website that is set up to accept donations if people wanted to help out that way? I'm assuming you have a church that may be willing to help some? You can only sell so much knitting, and in such a short amount of time, I worry it won't be much help. :(
Honestly, not right now. My dad is a web designer tho, and if we decide to do that, he could fix it fast. We just moved here, and haven't found a body of like minded beleivers..... So that nixes that question too.

I've already designed a market bag, almost finished that, going to make some coasters (modifying a pattern to fit my needs), finished 1 1/2 toys...... I knit pretty fast, and tho I know I may not be a big help to my parents, I'm gonna trust God and know that He knows. I mean, I could talk for hours, explain things for hours, worry for hours...... And the thing I always come back to, is "He knows." And he does. I'm just trusting.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:45 PM   #14
sgtpam
Turning the Heel

WOW!

You ARE fast! Almost 2 toys done already? I could only dream of being that fast...maybe some day. What toys did you make? I'd love to see them. I'm hoping to try something fun like that sooner rather than later.

I know that your family appreciates your efforts; every little bit helps but the love you show through your efforts means more than the $$ it brings. Keep up the good work.
sgtpam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sgtpam For This Useful Post:
Tropicflower24 (07-27-2008)
Old 07-27-2008, 08:16 PM   #15
RuthieinMaryland
Turning the Heel

Location: I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland - GREAT steamed crab country! :o)
Fast knitting project
Hi!

Last fall, when I was just getting back into knitting and wasn't very fast at it, I made neck scarves for my whole family. They went very fast, so fast that I had 11 extra that I wrapped up in clear celophane and ribbons, so people could see the colors, and got our local beauty shop to give them out to their elderly customers who could use an extra bit of warmth.

I used one skein of homespun yarn for each scarf and cast on 12 stitches with yarn from the center pull strand and the outside strand, so I was knitting with a double strand of yarn from the same skein on size US 19 needles. Boy did they go fast!

Knit every row (garter stitch) and just keep going 'til the skein is used up. The scarf will be just the right length and the homespun is incredibly warm. Beautiful, too. So they should bring some bucks!

Best of luck and thank you all for caring so much for one of God's challenged children.

Ruthie
RuthieinMaryland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RuthieinMaryland For This Useful Post:
Tropicflower24 (07-27-2008)
Old 07-27-2008, 09:55 PM   #16
Tropicflower24
Turning the Heel

Great idea! Thanks Ruthie!
Old 07-27-2008, 10:08 PM   #17
Tropicflower24
Turning the Heel

Thanks Pam!
Old 07-30-2008, 11:51 AM   #18
Tropicflower24
Turning the Heel

We now have a website set up with updates and such. The website is www.calledtoadopt.110mb.com

Check it out please! Dad only has the first page up, but others are soon in following. (Mom and Dad's pics aren't up yet as we haven't got a good family picture taken yet, and we all want to be k9tog there.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:05 PM   #19
Spokaloo
1st Leg of the Journey

Blessings on you and your family for taking on this awesome responsibility!

As for quick and easy projects, people have already mentioned hats and dishclothes, but how about ipod and cell phone covers? There are lots of free patterns on the Internet and some of them are very cute! And speaking of cute, baby booties, socks and hats are always popular and so very quick!

Good Luck!
Spokaloo is offline   Reply With Quote