Old 07-27-2008, 03:40 PM   #1
jilljanssen
Casting On

Question about a chart
I am new to this website so hello to everyone. I do have a question regarding a knitting chart. I have encountered a chart that I have no clue what to do with. I have worked with color charts and intrasia charts and get those. I am trying to make a cute, knitted toy for a friend and the pattern consists of a chart with instructions to cast on and start with a knit row. That's it. No key or other explanations. I think it is trying to tell me to increase and decrease to acheive the pattern ( it's a fish out of Knitted Toys, by Zoe Mellor), but whenever I try it doesn't look at all like it's suppose to. It's a little hard to explain without the chart, but maybe some else has encountered a chart that is for shaping, not color. I would love any information. I looked all through the book and can't get it at all. I will be very disappointed if I don't get it as many other patterns include this type of chart. Thanks. Jill
jilljanssen is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-27-2008, 06:44 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
I don't have that particular book, but most books with charts will have a key somewhere, even though it may not be on the pattern page.

For example, / usually means ktog; \ means ssk or skp; o means yo; -means purl on the right side and knit on the wrong side; and an empty box means knit on the right side and purl on the wrong side.

http://www.adriafil.com/index.html?i...na=forknitter1

Here is an example, though not all charts use the same symbols.

ETA--Try looking on the abbreviations page at the beginning of the book.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 08:37 PM   #3
jilljanssen
Casting On

Thanks for the insight. I still haven't found any key or abbreviations that correspond.
jilljanssen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:37 AM   #4
villis
Casting On

I'm knitting the cot-hanger chick from the same book (Knitted Toys by Zoe Moller), and I'm also having a problem with the instructions.
Jill is right, Zoe doesn't include abbreviations for chart patterns, but rather just tells you to co, then work from right to left (or left to right) using the chart. Indeed, the chart is just boxes with colors (or no color), there aren't any symbols or / or anything. GRRR!! I finally figured out how to add on stitches before or after to increase from the bottom to the body. But now I've come to the section where the body divides into to two sections - left for the head and right for the tail. For example, the row I just completed has 50 stitches. The next row has color in the first 15 boxes, then no color in the next 13 boxes, and then color in the last 22 boxes. What do I do for the missing 13 stitches in the middle??
Has anyone else work on one of Zoe Moller's chart patters? Jill, did you figure out the pattern? Did you just KTOG?
I'm relatively new to knitting, and this is so frustrating I'm thinking of going back to blankets and scarves!!!
villis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:08 AM   #5
imrachel
Knitting the Flap

I just did a search on Zoe Mellor and corrections and errata and it seems that this is a constant problem with her designs and books. Whether it is Ms Mellor or her editors, it seems that people are extremely frustrated with her products and have very little success trying to contact her or her publishers.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but at least you know it isn't you!
imrachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:26 AM   #6
Mirl56
Instepping Out

If you're a member at www.ravelry.com, you can look up the book and it's patterns there. THere are 39 projects, meaning 39 people who made those fish. It might help to read thru their comments, and you can email them direct to see if they can offer guidance. There are also a few mentions of the fish in the forums that may be helpful.

It's free to join ravelry, but you might have to wait a few days for an invite.

Mirl56 at Ravelry, too.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You canít live long enough to make them all yourself. Eleanor Roosevelt

OTN:
Lady Feb Sweater
more shawlettes, socks
Mirl56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:37 PM   #7
imrachel
Knitting the Flap

I was at a bookstore earlier and they had it in stock so I took a look at the fish pattern. Yeah-- it's just cast on these sts and then follow this chart. No description or other information anywhere else in the book, and the definitions page gives no clue. I personally think they have a lot of gall charging money for that. You could just increase and decrease as the charted width gets bigger and smaller, I guess. If you really want fish, I personally wouldn't go the knitting route, but instead, cut them out of felt and sew them together. Or you could buy the kit from patternworks, which costs $20, but you get 4 or 5 fish from it: http://www.patternworks.com/productd...D-FISH-KIT.htm

And Kath Dalmeny's World of Knitted Toys has some fish and other sea creatures: http://www.amazon.com/World-Knitted-...2265036&sr=8-1
imrachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 10:15 PM   #8
villis
Casting On

Thanks! I signed up for ravelry, waiting for my invitation. I hope they have some tips.
A friend has knit the dog from the book, no problems since she gives pattern instructions. I finally decide to step outside my comfort zone of scarves and blankets, and I'm finding myself frustrated! And I thought the chick would be easier than the dog!!!
Thanks for all the recommendations! If I find a solution (other than burning the book and cursing Zoe's name), I'll be sure to pass it on.
villis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:29 PM   #9
kathymanitoba
Casting On

Zoe Mellor's' Luxury Lettered Coat
Hi, I'm new to this forum but have encountered difficulty with the above pattern. I've never knitted "chart" patterns before so I'm a little clued out. Unlike what some of you have said about other patterns in this book there are no instructions as to which direction to start the colour chart. So if anyone has made this pattern would you please advise???? Thanks so much
kathymanitoba is offline   Reply With Quote