Old 07-29-2008, 09:50 PM   #1
figaro
Working the Gusset

Our credit card was stolen
This sucks, we got our bill today on a card that we rarely use and it went from less than $1000 to almost $3200! I got on the phone with Sears and (after they confirmed it really was us) they said that there are even more charges on it now. The bill we just received ended on the 15th of July. So the card is canceled, they are sending us new cards with new numbers and they are opening a investigation right away. And we are not libel for a penny of the bogus charges. We think it is a trucker as all the charges are at The Flying J gas stations, Shell Oil and Chevron starting in Wells, NV going all the way to Ohio and back to CA in 10 days time. Not small charges either, they go from $89 to $450 at each stop. It sucks cause we have both the cards in our wallets, we have no idea how they got the numbers but we do know that they had a card made. Flying J are strict about that, I talked to someone and she said that the person would have to permission from the credit card card to just use the numbers. And they did not. I want to hear that they guy tried using the card and it comes up saying STOLEN then he gets arrested. I want to know how he got our info. It is just kinda creeping me out the more I think of it.

figaro
and also on Plurk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

figaro is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-29-2008, 10:00 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,641 Times in 7,043 Posts
Ugh. That's awful!!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
figaro (07-29-2008)
Old 07-29-2008, 10:03 PM   #3
cdjack
Turning the Heel

I'm so sorry that this happened to you. I'm sure you and your dh feel very violated. This happened to a friend of mine. Turns out that her server at some restaurant took her credit card at the end of the meal and swiped it through this hand held device and it got all her information somehow. Then, he gave her back the card along with her credit card receipt.

I hope you find the scum that did this.

Courtney
cdjack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cdjack For This Useful Post:
figaro (07-29-2008)
Old 07-29-2008, 10:05 PM   #4
Puddinpop
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Puddinpop
That is creepy. What really gets me is that they could care less about stealing and the person they are stealing from. I don't know how they sleep at night.
Puddinpop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Puddinpop For This Useful Post:
figaro (07-29-2008)
Old 07-29-2008, 10:27 PM   #5
vaknitter
Working the Gusset

Wow - that really stinks. Hopefully Sears will press charges against the guy. It creeps me out the information people have access to these days.
vaknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vaknitter For This Useful Post:
figaro (07-30-2008)
Old 07-29-2008, 10:34 PM   #6
rachael72knitter
Knitting the Flap

Gosh, that is terrible. I am so sorry that happened to you. These days anyone can get numbers. Half the time the employees at places where you use them take the numbers and sell them. I read where people were writing down the numbers on the backs of gift cards, and then using them to buy stuff on-line as soon as someone would activate it. The other sad thing is that stores have policies in place to avoid this type of thing, and sometimes employees don't follow the safety guidelines.
rachael72knitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 12:10 AM   #7
susi
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to susi
thats awful. i've had my connect card stolen a few years back. racked up a 4k bill that at the time i didnt have insurance to cover (i was 18 and stupidly thought i wouldnt need it). learnt the hard way i c an tell you.

it does scare you though, the 4k was spent in 2 hours before i noticed i had lost the card, even scarier.

i'd love to be a fly on the wall when he's caught as well haha.

at least you know and have stopped it
susi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to susi For This Useful Post:
figaro (07-30-2008)
Old 07-30-2008, 12:57 AM   #8
scout52
Working the Gusset

That is so terrible. I do hope they arrest the person who is using it. good luck
scout52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 08:28 AM   #9
Silver
Instepping Out

I'm so sorry! I don't mean to trivialize it, but at least you're not responsible for the charges. And it could have been much worse, like a full blown identity theft. I hope this guy is busted and hauled off to jail!!

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Silver For This Useful Post:
figaro (07-30-2008)
Old 07-30-2008, 08:40 AM   #10
Ronda
Instepping Out

Send a message via MSN to Ronda Send a message via Yahoo to Ronda
That sucks. I'm glad you won't be responsible for the bills. I totally understand how you feel. I can't give details, but my identity has been stolen. The guy even has my SSN, and he's opened accounts in my name! It is very scary, and it makes me very angry. It's very hard to figure out how these people get your information. I don't do Internet banking. I don't store any information on my computer. I don't use ATM machines. The police are pretty sure they know how this guy got my information (but again, I'm not allowed to discuss it), so I hope they nail him...and your guy, too.