Old 07-31-2008, 08:48 PM   #1
Phaedra
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to Phaedra
SSS? Have I got a cure for you: Jury Duty
As you may know, I am using stash (quite small) to start/finish projects. Well, I've kinda been lax in completing my fifth pair of Monkey socks --kinda "Monkeyed" out. Love the pattern but just needed a break.
Well, a couple of days ago, with 10 rounds of ribbing already done, I spent 5 1/2 hours (we got to leave early) with my sock. By the time I left the courthouse, I was mid-way on a short row heel. And that was a couple of days ago; where it still is. Just think, I might have finished it if we had stayed the other 2 1/2 hours!
Phaedra is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-31-2008, 08:54 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
Most courthouses now don't allow knitting needles as far as I know. I know mine doesn't. I have been 'on call' for jury duty this week and there is a disclaimer on the first day saying no knitting needles.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 09:00 PM   #3
Phaedra
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to Phaedra
I had put it in a ziplock; and when(if) we have to leave the assembly room and go to a courtroom, it stays behind until our return. But no one was ever called, so I knitted....and knitted....
Phaedra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 12:08 AM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
They won't even let us take it into the court building much less the courtroom itself. A friend was able to take a crochet hook recently though.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 06:30 AM   #5
Mirl56
Instepping Out

It is definitely something you need to check out at your particular courthouse. It can also depend if it's a local, state, or federal court. Best to be prepared to take your knitting back to your car and have backup activities available.

I haven't had jury duty in oer 15 yrs I guess - but sitting and knitting all day is a great way to make progress on a project you've been struggling with!

Mirl56 at Ravelry, too.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You canít live long enough to make them all yourself. Eleanor Roosevelt

OTN:
Lady Feb Sweater
more shawlettes, socks
Mirl56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 01:30 PM   #6
Nan101
Ribbing the Cuff

I was called for jury duty in June of this year. I thought it was both wonderful, because I had never had jury duty before, and what a great time to knit. I carefully packed my sock into a zip lock bag so they could see what I had and there would be no problem. WRONG! When I walked into the court house and went through the metal detector, I layed the little baggy on the scanning thing and was immediately told to take it back to the car. Sigh...no knitting needles of any kind alowed into our court house.
Nan101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 06:09 PM   #7
SBG
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via Yahoo to SBG
I'd love to know if there has ever been a case of knitting needles used as weapons.
SBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 08:43 PM   #8
Tropicflower24
Turning the Heel

Quote:
I'd love to know if there has ever been a case of knitting needles used as weapons.
No kidding! How ridiculous.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:52 PM   #9
bethany
Turning the Heel

Ha! I just finished my first jury duty on Wednesday. I asked the security if wooden needles were allowed and he gave me this "you stupid woman" look and said "well you're not going to have a lot of time and don't'cha think it would be a little distracting in the jury box?"

I gave him a "you stupid man" and said (sweetly, I might add) "Well of
course I wouldn't knit in the jury box, that would be rude!"

I got almost 30 rows done by the way. And was the youngest on the jury. And they elected me forman. Niiiiiice....

OTN: Old Shale Lace Triangle
OTH: blanket
FO: 3 pairs Pocketbook slippers, Kickline socks, baby cloths, 007 monkey, market bag, Ocean socks, chemo cap, 12 Stitch-It! blankets, 9 Charity Oddball baby blankets

: Bethanyg

bethany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 09:07 AM   #10
McKnitty
Turning the Heel

I don't like jury duty and I get called up quite often. I've never been selected for a jury, but still the selection process takes all day and it is so boring. The waiting is awful. It would be wonderful if we could bring knitting to pass the time; however, we can't bring anything other than reading materials.

I still think pens and pencils are just as dangerous as a knitting needle, but I haven't seen anyone have to surrender their writing tools.

TXMcKnitty on Ravelry

Last edited by McKnitty : 08-02-2008 at 09:08 AM. Reason: spelling
McKnitty is offline   Reply With Quote