Old 08-01-2008, 05:25 PM   #11
RuthieinMaryland
Turning the Heel

Location: I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland - GREAT steamed crab country! :o)
For sore fingers
Hi -

Although adjusting your method of transferring stitches is probably the best solution, in the meantime you might try "liquid bandage" or "liquid band-aid". You just paint it on the affected part and let it dry and it forms a coating.

I used this years ago when I was doing a lot of quilting on a frame. Boy, did my fingertips get sore from the needle. The calluses that formed eventually helped, but meanwhile I used the liquid bandaid.

Ruthie
RuthieinMaryland is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-01-2008, 06:17 PM   #12
Knit4Pie
Turning the Heel

I was thinking about liquid band-aid when it happened to me, but wasn't sure if it would work. Then I realized that my dd wants "real" band-aids when she has a boo boo, so I dropped the idea LOL

Visit my blog Knitting for Patience
Knit4Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 06:42 PM   #13
knitasha
Turning the Heel

I try to remember to push off with my left thumbnail.
If I forget and start using my right forefinger (happens mostly with slip stitches), I stick on a small round leather patch that quilters use to avoid stabbing their fingers. It protects the finger and also reminds me to push off with the thumbnail.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:02 PM   #14
Lisa R.
Turning the Heel

I had that problem when I first started knitting, though I notice it's not an issue as much any more.

What I did was go to an office supply store and buy those rubber thingies you use on your fingers to help you in sorting papers...sort of like a rubber thimble. Mine were bumpy, which snagged the yarn, so I turned them inside out, and it was perfect!

Here's what I'm talking about!

I'm Knittermom9 on Ravelry
Lisa R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 10:30 AM   #15
Andres
Ribbing the Cuff

I just waited until a callus appeared.

Old 08-02-2008, 12:12 PM   #16
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
Originally Posted by susi View Post
oh yes i ment plasters , or should i correct to bandaids, sorry must remember different words.
No problem! It was the typo plus the new word that confused me. I am learning new words, too.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:34 PM   #17
TammyK
Casting On

While reading the replies, I had an idea!
All replies to this thread were very helpful and gave me additional ideas which I tested. I recently came across some 'corn pads' while searching thru the first aid closet which is the reason for my query (I burnt my finger tip on a scalding hot roasted marshmallow). Anyway, I took an adhesive 'corn pad' (round little disk with a hole in the center) and put a fingertip bandage over it. It provides the extra cushion I was looking for. Or, you could take a cotton ball and then wrap a fingertip bandage over it, also provides extra cushion!
Old 04-29-2013, 10:06 PM   #18
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,004 Times in 2,517 Posts
Interesting topic. I had this problem when I was using sock skewers (DPNs). I put a bandaid on my finger, hated having it there, and it's best purpose was to teach me not to do that anymore. I still sometimes slip up and poke myself. Sock skewers draw blood and I don't want to ruin my yarn so I really try not to do it even with larger needles. Learning a new habit is better than patching up my fingers.

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:24 AM   #19
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,981 Posts
Hi Tammy and welcome to Knitting Help!
Ouch. Blisters, paper cuts on knitting fingers, what an added hurdle. Thanks for the tip. Anything to keep on knitting.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:10 AM   #20
RochesterKnitter
Turning the Heel

1) finger cot - rubber cover available in office supply departments. They do wear out/through with use.

http://www.amazon.com/FINGER-COTS-RU.../dp/B0014RDQG8

2) pet finger toothbrush - harder plastic. Won't wear out. Bristles might be bothersome to some knitters but could be snipped off.

http://www.amazon.com/Petrodex-Finge.../dp/B0002AQB60
RochesterKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote