Old 08-01-2008, 10:11 PM   #1
miccisue
Turning the Heel

Shawls
First off, I can't figure out why I'm the one with all the oddball questions.......still, here goes.
Am I the only one that thinks of the triangular style when they think "shawl"?
The reason I ask this is that I would like to attempt to knit a shawl. If it turns out, I'd like to try and see if I get some made up to sell. Thus, I don't want to use a copyrighted pattern. I have the Readers Digest Complete Guide To Needlework that I've had for almost 30 years....the knitting section gives instructions for several lace stitches. As such ( and giving that they say the stitches date back to such and such a time, when lacemaking was popular, blah,blah,blah), it's my feeling that these are stitch patterns that would be in the public domain (kind of like ribbing, seed stitch, moss stitch, etc.). There's a gorgeous stitch that's labeled "horseshoe" that I think would be gorgeous in a shawl....it's based on a 10 + 1 multiple.
So, if I try to make it triangular, do I start with one 10 + 1, have a second row of increases, third row of 10 +1, 10 +1, etc; or do I just try and make a rectangular shawl? As you can tell, I've never designed anything.....although I think I might just like to try it and see what happens. My inexperience is scaring me, though.
Any tips or pointers?
Thanks!!!!!
miccisue is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-01-2008, 10:31 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Shawls can be rectangular too, like overgrown scarves, and they're usually called stoles. They can be semi-circular or a full circle.

To make a triangular shawl from the tip to the neck, you'd start with about 3-5 sts, inc 2 every other row. When you got to 10 +1 + sts for the edges (sort of k2, yo, k10 +1, yo k2) you can start the pattern. The next RS row, you'd only have 2 more sts, so you'd mark off the beginning of the horseshoe pattern and let the new stitches add on to either side of it, and just repeat the pattern over the 10 +1. When you get another 20 +1 sts on, (10 on each side) then you can do 3 repeats of the pattern across the row, and so on. It might be better if you look up a simple triangular shawl pattern first and understand how they're contstructed before you attempt to design one of your own. Lotsa patterns at 336 Triangle Shawl Patterns
You can also look at the top down triangular patterns at elann.com. Several very pretty ones there.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
miccisue (08-01-2008)
Old 08-08-2008, 02:31 PM   #3
InterNette
Turning the Heel

My first knitting class, was 3 classes. We did knit and purl,the first week, the next week we did increase decrease and were told to do 3 stitches and increase every row till like i dont know 30 rows up and then decrease, What it was was a square when done that started out traingular. So anyway I did a size 50 needle, what a joke and used parrot yarn and just did the increase, and stopped, It made a beautiful traingle shawl. Then I went shawl nuts. So you can do a simple 3 stitch increase every row at the beginning and do whatever suits your style and fancy for yarns and stitches. Very easy, if I could do it on my second class you can do it now too. You can vary needle size and add beads or fringes and make them all one of a kind unique then.
InterNette is offline   Reply With Quote