Old 08-08-2008, 10:51 AM   #1
Knit4Pie
Turning the Heel

Rude clerks & wwyd
Ugh, I just called to get information and an appointment to pierce my dd's ears. The woman was just rude.

As I start speaking, the clocks in the store start ringing the hour. Instead of "I'm sorry, but it's noisy in here" or some other comment in that vein, I get "Speak up, can you? Hello? Hello?" all before I can even take a breath to speak again.

Then I ask how much to get the ears pierced, then if the cost of the studs is included. Instead of a simple "Yes, they're included", I get "Well of course they're included, what do you think? I would have told you if they were extra you know".

Biting my tongue a bit to remain civil at this point, I ask if I need to get an appointment. She comes back with "Yes, you need an appointment. Why don't you call back when you know what you want and when you want it." Um, isn't it up to her to tell me when they have a spot, or ask me (politely) when I'm available?

All along, her tone of voice is abrupt and so rude.

I'm of two minds about going to get dd's ears pierced there. She really wants them done, though, has been looking forward to it all week, and I did promise. I also have no way right now to drive to the next town to have them done at another place.

Should I put up with the crying I'll get if I go back on my promise? I promised we'd get them done today - before the weekend - if she was good all week AND passed her swimming lessons, which she did. Or should I just go for this but not go back for anything else?

Visit my blog Knitting for Patience
Knit4Pie is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-08-2008, 11:05 AM   #2
knitgal
Working the Gusset

Surely there must be somewhere else you can go? There's no reason you should put up with a rude person like that. I have made complaints to the management for behaviour like that. I don't understand why some people are in an industry that deals with people when they clearly have no social skills.
I would try to find somewhere else to take your daughter, you shouldn't give your business to someone so rude.

OTN: Corona, Miter square blanket, Charity blankets
FO: Forest Canopy Shawl, Easy Baby Bootees, Kitty Pi, Ms. Marigold, Twinkle Toes, Josh's socks, Hedera socks, Spring Beret, Ashley's Birthday socks, Socks for the DBF's mom, grey socks for the DBF, my first socks, reversible cable scarf, ribbed hat for the BF, Manos Del Uruguay afghan, and a whole bunch of dishcloths!

knitgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 11:27 AM   #3
figaro
Working the Gusset

That women was rude and I would have asked her where she learned her customer service skills! I would contact a jewelry store and inquire if they pierce ears and take her there. Then I would call the other store back, ask to speak with the manager and let him/her know how the earlier conversation went and then tell him the store you are going to and in the end, that person cost him this business and any future business. (sorry for the long sentence) And if that was the manager, then contact the head office. I can not stand bad customer service and have no problem letting people know that I will pay another store/company more money for better customer service.

As for you daughter, just let her know that she will get her ears pierced, it may be next weekend but she will get them done. Maybe toss in a ice cream cone after its done to soften the blow.

figaro
and also on Plurk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

figaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 11:58 AM   #4
davespurl
Ribbing the Cuff

I would definately try to find somewhere else to get them done as well. I don't know how old your daughter is, but if you can explain that conversation with the clerk to her, and suggest that she (your dd) may not want someone so mean to pierce her ears, she'll understand. Little girls want someone nice and gentle for ear piercing, not some angry 20 something. Its worth a try anyway.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:01 PM   #5
stitchwitch
Working the Gusset

Oh I'd make sure to call back, get her name and know when she was going to be working. Then, I'd show up with my child, let someone else pierce her ears and ask for that nasty shrew afterward. When she came over I'd say to her 'I just wanted to see what you looked like since you sounded like such a horses *ss on the phone. I guess my mental image of you was correct." I would complain to corporate too afterward.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:18 PM   #6
InterNette
Turning the Heel

I agree if you explained to your daughter the womans cranky mean behavior, she would want to wait and go somewhere that someone pleasant and kind would do a much better job and care how she feels instead of someone you dont really trust to do a professional comforting job. I would also inform the owners. Maybe they arent aware and their sales are lacking or something, they would then a chance to correct the situation and keep a watch out ithat it didnt happen to someone else in the future.
InterNette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 12:42 PM   #7
Knit4Pie
Turning the Heel

Thanks for your replies.

This woman (I've learned after talking to my mother) is the owner's wife, maybe even the part owner. She's in her late 50s/early 60s, so not some young kid. Thankfully she is not the one who does the piercing, it's the owner himself (he actually did my ears when I was a kid). My dd is 4, so whether she will understand and want to wait is kind of iffy.

I live in a very small town, with only the one jewellry store, and there's no public transport to get somewhere else.

I will talk to her and see if she will be willing to wait another week though.

Old 08-08-2008, 12:45 PM   #8
Knit4Pie
Turning the Heel

One thing that also annoyed me, although if it was the only thing, I probably would have understood. When she asked for the name for the appointment, I started to give my dd's name. She cut me off and said "I don't want to fool around with that, give me the last name. Your last name, not hers."

I mean WTH? I thought it would be fun for Pie to have the appt in her own name, since it is for her ears. Like I said, if that was all I would have brushed it aside, but at the end of a rudeness filled conversation, that really annoyed me.

Old 08-08-2008, 12:46 PM   #9
GinnyG
Instepping Out

WOW, the older I get the less tolerant I am of rude people and the more likely I am to tell them they are being rude. I think I would do anything I had to do NOT to do business there AND make sure the owner knew why (either a letter or phone call).
GinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 12:56 PM   #10
Wanda Witch
Turning the Heel

I agree with all of the above. The owner definitely needs to know his wife is a shrew that should not be dealing with the public that puts food on her stupid plate and a roof over her rude head. I hope your DD will fully understand why you, nor she, should ever put up with that sort of behavior - from anyone, anywhere.
Wanda Witch is offline   Reply With Quote