Old 08-09-2008, 08:30 PM   #1
1knittychick
Knitting the Flap

knitting in public
I have to share this with you. Last night my son's football team held their first scrimmage. So, while he rested I knitted. Several people came by and were amazed that I could knit. 3 little girls wanted to sit by me and just watch--not saying a word. During a break, my son looked up in the stands and found me; I waved and he just shook his head.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-09-2008, 08:47 PM   #2
ecb
Working the Gusset

Send a message via ICQ to ecb Send a message via AIM to ecb Send a message via MSN to ecb Send a message via Yahoo to ecb
Boasting or Lamenting
Sounds perfectly normal to ME!!!!

I love when the really young kids sit and watch my Knitting be created, it gives the parents a bit of a break, and I LOVE telling them they can learn this some day themselves

ecb
Good judgement comes from experience
but Experience comes from Bad Judgment
ecb
ecb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 04:50 PM   #3
kristaj
1st Leg of the Journey

When another 2nd grade teacher and I knit during recess we always have at least 5 kiddos gathered around us just silently watching. They always want to know how we do it. We have just about decided to write a grant to get money to pay for supplies and start a knitting club for our 2nd graders and up.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:48 AM   #4
SBG
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via Yahoo to SBG
I always get a little chuckle out of the knitting in public threads, because I teach breastfeeding classes & do breastfeeding advocacy whenever possible. A huge thing is nursing in public (NIP), supporting women who nurse their babies and boycotting companies that break various laws by asking them to leave. So many people have seen my boobs that the idea of knitting in public being any sort of issue always makes me laugh a little (in a good way). I love KIP myself! I'm often met with awe and I wonder why, because it's not really that hard once you get the basics
SBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 01:28 PM   #5
LilHuskiesFootBallMom
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to LilHuskiesFootBallMom Send a message via Yahoo to LilHuskiesFootBallMom
I also knit at my son's practices and games. the only time i STOP knitting is when he's on the field.

As or NIP: i did it too I go to the nurse-ins they have in our area and knit... I don't have anymore babies, but i still support the women
Old 08-11-2008, 01:48 PM   #6
Agata
Casting On

I love the KIP messages. I love to knit so much I take it where ever I go so I can seize any opportunity. My colleaugues think nothing of it when they pass by my desk and see my knitting on my desk or on my lap.

I was a NIP as well but have heard of a Nurse-In. I would like to show my support for breast-feeding mothers espcially those who work. Any thoughts? Thank you
Agata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 02:00 PM   #7
1to1
Turning the Heel

That would be my son too...just shaking his head. DD knits so she doesn't mind. My kids are used to it and so are the kids/parents that know me. At one time I thought about making up a sign "Yes, I'm knitting a pair of socks!"

I love when little kids just sit and watch...at first they'll just sneak glances but once I smile they will try to figure out what I'm doing...so sweet.

1to1
1to1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 08:20 PM   #8
SBG
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via Yahoo to SBG
Originally Posted by Agata View Post
I was a NIP as well but have heard of a Nurse-In. I would like to show my support for breast-feeding mothers espcially those who work. Any thoughts? Thank you
It's hard for moms who work. I've been lucky to work around my own schedule so far. I am ready to be done to be honest-I've been nursing for 4 years straight (2 different kids) and am pretty over it! I always write letters or emails when I hear about things like women getting kicked off of airplanes or asked to leave stores. Now that the benefits of human milk for babies are so widely known, it seems as though more and more companies are being supportive. The CDC is here in Atlanta and they provide their employees who have babies with a breast pump, a pumping room, and a lactation consultant! Pretty awesome (and fitting, considering what their purpose is).

Hmmm...someday I should try K&NIP at once. LOL
SBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 11:19 PM   #9
kristaj
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by SBG View Post
The CDC is here in Atlanta and they provide their employees who have babies with a breast pump, a pumping room, and a lactation consultant! Pretty awesome (and fitting, considering what their purpose is).

Hmmm...someday I should try K&NIP at once. LOL
That would be quite a feat! I can see it now, needles in one hand, baby in the other.

How wonderful that the CDC provides all that. When I went back to work after I had my daughter I bought my $200 pump and had to have somebody lock me in my classroom while I didn't have a class (I was always terrified there would be a fire). I still got walked in on by my principal since he had a key. He thought I had left for my planning period.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:34 AM   #10
WandaT
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,479 Times in 1,441 Posts
I don't seem to have as many chances to KIP as I used to. My "baby" leaves for college next week (eyes filling with tears) so I haven't been transporting her or having to wait for her at a practice, lesson or whatever for a while now. But if I know I'm going to have to wait somewhere (dr office or whatever) I always have my knitting and a book.

I was a NIP mom too. It can be accomplished so discreetly that nothing shows. I've always been a rebel anyway, so I honestly didn't care if others had a problem with it. I never got thrown out of anywhere either - thank God. It always makes me smile to see a mom NIP.

Wanda T
My Blog
My Ravelry
WandaT is offline   Reply With Quote