Old 08-11-2008, 08:18 PM   #1
boyforpele13
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to boyforpele13 Send a message via MSN to boyforpele13 Send a message via Yahoo to boyforpele13
World of Warcraft
I feel like I've seen some of you guys mention WoW... I just started the trial version last night and managed to get sucked in for 7 hours... yeah. Anyway, just wondering if anyone wanted to help out a n00b with some stupid questions.
Thanks!

Share Your Life With a Deaf Dog!

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. - Marianne Williamson
boyforpele13 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-12-2008, 02:20 PM   #2
willowangel
Knitting the Flap

What do you need to know? :-) I don't have access to American servers so I can't help in game, but I can answer questions :-)
boyforpele13 (08-12-2008)
Old 08-12-2008, 05:44 PM   #3
Nan101
Ribbing the Cuff

Level 70, troll rogue, tauren hunter and blood elf mage. Ask away
Nan101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nan101 For This Useful Post:
boyforpele13 (08-12-2008)
Old 08-12-2008, 07:39 PM   #4
boyforpele13
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to boyforpele13 Send a message via MSN to boyforpele13 Send a message via Yahoo to boyforpele13
I knew you guys were out there! ;-)

Actually %@$ hours of gameplay later (I refuse to admit just how long I have been in there in the last 48 hours, but will say I closed the servers down last night (maintenance at 3 a.m. PDT RAWR!!!!)) I am doing much better! I did notice on the forums that I referred to myself incorrectly since a n00b is one who is not willing to learn or fix mistakes and that is not me at all.

Since we're here, though, I have a couple of less pressing questions...

I know there is info for this on the WoW site, but I keep clicking there and getting distracted...

What's a guild and do I need to join one? I've received several in-game requests and also requests to sign charters and just have declined because I don't know enough.

Last night I was playing with my settings and realized that the auto-battle thing was a choice, not a requirement... Is there a general preference on this from the more experienced players? I kinda like the auto-battle thing because I do other stuff when that's going on, re-reading quests, whatever but am wondering if it would be more fun/challenging the other way.

And lastly, I think, I have 2 characters right now, I was happy with one, but realized my friend who picked a different race was on another continent. Anyway, my first one is a night elf druid and I managed to overload myself with quests. I'm okay with that, BUT, I can't find anything. I just keep getting lost and yesterday probably spent 2 hours running in circles trying to find quest things... Is there a map or an easier way to do this? I found the online atlas, but it was a bit too broad. ETA: I use the map in the corner, I know about that, and can sometimes find the street signs indicating, but like when the quest says, "Find this person who hangs out north of this lake which is near here," I run into trouble. What is hysterical about this is it's EXACTLY like real life. I get lost going around the corner. ;-)

And so much for no more questions, but Nan, if you're level 70, I take it you have the Burning Crusade? I am in my 10-day trial still and wondering if I NEED the expansion right off the bat...

Okay, one more!!!! LOL! Is there a list of translations for the NPCs?

ETA: ONE more thing! How long, reasonably, does it take to get to level 30? I want a mount! I got to level 7 in one evening with the night elf and 5 in a few hours with the human, but I imagine leveling takes longer as you progress...

Thank you both!!!!

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. - Marianne Williamson
Old 08-12-2008, 09:05 PM   #5
bethany
Turning the Heel

You realize now, of course, that you will never knit again? I'm giggling just a bit. I don't play, but husband does. Alllllll the time. For, like, 2 years. Ah, the warm memories of New Years Eves with the beautiful WOW fireworks.... Have fun!

OTN: Old Shale Lace Triangle
OTH: blanket
FO: 3 pairs Pocketbook slippers, Kickline socks, baby cloths, 007 monkey, market bag, Ocean socks, chemo cap, 12 Stitch-It! blankets, 9 Charity Oddball baby blankets

: Bethanyg

bethany is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bethany For This Useful Post:
boyforpele13 (08-13-2008)
Old 08-12-2008, 09:44 PM   #6
Duessa
1st Leg of the Journey

Ok, well, I can help you out, even though you are an Alli..... : P

Something to know now, horde and alli are strongly against eachother lol

Anyway, I have a lvl 70 troll mage, 48 blood elf priest, and miscellaneous lower lvls. I still find time to knit!

I am on Andorhal. If you have any pressing in game questions you could make a character (it will have to be horde) and add Akatae and Madea to your friends. I'm on alot late at night server time. Just whisper me and say you are from the knitting forum. that goes for any of you!

as for the expansion. you only need it NOW if you want to play a draeni or bloodelf. if you don't care then you don't need it until you hit about 58 and can go to outlands.

you can get to 30, if you are dillegent and know where to quest, and this I can't help you with because i never play a dirty alli! lol, then you can probably hit 30 in a week or less.

Guild: think of them as clubs or organizations. You join one if you want. they all have different missions or purposes. I'm in one that is all fam and friends and we don't really have a point except to be able to talk to each other and share things and help each other. some guilds pvp, some raid, some lvl, some twink (excuse so many words you might not yet understand. Wow is like a new language at first and it's hard to discuss wow without using them)...etc, etc. Join one if you like to have friends to quest with and such.

as far as getting lost....no real help there. You clear your map as you go. You CAN get addons that clear the whole map for you and ones that give you coordinate and help you find quests but I'm not up to an addon tutorial here. I'm not a big fan of them but many people swear by them.

lastly, you need anything else just post or make a character on my real and whisper me. I'm playing Madea the most right now. just don't forget to say you are from the knitting forum or I might be a little cranky at being whispered out of no where while I'm trying not to die! lol

Hope you enjoy and that you come to the horde! lol (jk)

Finished: Arm warmers, dice bag, Hat for brother, two washrags, two tribbles

Duessa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Duessa For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2008, 09:56 PM   #7
Howdovely
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to Howdovely
Originally Posted by bethany View Post
You realize now, of course, that you will never knit again? I'm giggling just a bit. I don't play, but husband does. Alllllll the time. For, like, 2 years. Ah, the warm memories of New Years Eves with the beautiful WOW fireworks.... Have fun!
Whoah, I can't believe I'm reading about WOW here. Funny. I played for a little while (liked Dungeon Seige better, only because that's what I started on so was more comfortable there.)

My x and I actually split up basically because of online games. He paid more attention to the game. haha. So yes, not only do you run the risk of not knitting again, there is a chance of not doing anything BUT gaming again.

We had a forum and were very choosey about who was allowed in, mostly because we had it to communicate and help each other. Our 'friends' were in Argentina, England, Canada, Florida and then us in NC. It was pretty cool. Even tho I don't play anymore, I say hello to them on Yahoo IM every now and then.

Good luck learning the game - it's frustrating to learn, but it is addicting. Have fun, but remember, there is life outside of gaming.

----> Howdovely
OTN: Pinwheel blanket for me; Camo Teddy Bear for future crib
COMPLETED: Lapghan for me; Baby Sweater #2; Steelers Skull Cap; Baby Sweater #1; 2 Baby blankets; Prayer Shawl for Charity; Bamboo Scarf; 8 Oddball Baby Blankets for Charity; Booga Bag for me; baby blanket for my neighbor; 3 Dishcloths for my sister
Howdovely is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Howdovely For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2008, 11:15 PM   #8
Xyza
Ribbing the Cuff

Apparently Quest Helper is a good addon to help locate quests and such. I haven't used it myself but my boyfriend recently switched to the alliance side and has been using it to find his way around over there.
Xyza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Xyza For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2008, 01:19 AM   #9
boyforpele13
Turning the Heel

I just went to the "dark side" a couple hours ago on my dinner break! ;-) I now have a level 6 troll shaman. I'm on the wrong realm though! I got my friend sucked into it and we went to play in our realm and there was a 25 person wait, so we both created Horde chars (or I did, which forced her to. ;-)) I am already lost and stuck, though, can't find the medallion in the cave thingie... I did the other 2 cave quests, but can't find the stupid medallion.

as for the getting lost, i don't get it really... as a human and now as a troll, i have no trouble. if the quest says go northeast,southeast, whatever, I have no trouble... actually i'm lying, i can't find the scorpion thing on the south plateau either, but typically i can follow directions. for some reason in elf land, (Tedrassil?) I am totally dumbfounded now, map or not.

I just found an Atlas Add-on with Quest Helper so thank you both!!!!

As for k'ing, I have groups I go to on Wed, Thurs, and usually Sunday, so if nothing else, I will knit there.... I'm actually half hoping to get burnt out before my 10 days is up, but I REALLY don't see that happening. There is just too much to do and be! ACK!

Thanks for the info on the expansion, too. That is kinda what I figured. I am already foreseeing the desperation and panic when my 10 days is up and am trying to rationalizeut the spending and $20 is a lot easier to rationalize than $40.

now, do I thank you or curse you for feeding this fire? ;-) thank you all really!

Old 08-13-2008, 01:30 AM   #10
Duessa
1st Leg of the Journey

fyi, you can have 1 chars on each realm, and you can be on like 50 different realms lol

Finished: Arm warmers, dice bag, Hat for brother, two washrags, two tribbles

Duessa is offline   Reply With Quote