Old 08-13-2008, 12:23 PM   #1
Carolyn252
Casting On

Purl stitch question from a newbie
My instincts make me want to do the purl stitch by bringing the working yarn over the right hand needle in the opposite direction to what is proper. The proper way is to have the working yarn wrap over the right-hand needle starting from near me, up and over, away from me, and down on the far side of my right-hand needle. But, after properly inserting my right hand needle into the front of the next stitch, my right hand always wants to simply put the right hand needle in front of the working yarn and then easily just push the working yarn through the loop. I can't imagine that I've explained this clearly enough to be understood. What I want to know is, if I make the purl stitches that way, will they still be purl stitches? Will the the stockinette pattern still look like knits on the right side and have purl bumps on the wrong side?
Carolyn252 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-13-2008, 12:52 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,645 Times in 7,047 Posts
Uhh.. not sure I got that. To purl you bring the yarn forward BETWEEN the needles and wrap it over the top of the LEFT needle. If you wrap the yarn incorrectly it twists the stitch which will show in the finished product. If you do twist the stitch you can untwist it by knitting into the back of the stitch on the other side (it'll be a knit stitch on the reverse). I do suggest learning to do it properly though if you are learning. Here's some help.

http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/purl-stitch
http://community.knitpicks.com/notes

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 01:50 PM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Quote:
To purl you bring the yarn forward BETWEEN the needles and wrap it over the top of the LEFT needle.
No, you still wrap the yarn around the right needle. I use the same motion as I do to make a knit stitch. I think what Carolyn's proposing is making a purl the same way as in combination knitting.

So yes that would still be a purl and result in stockinette stitch, with Vs on one side and bumps on the other. But on the knit side the sts would have the leading leg in back of the needle instead of over the front, so you'd have to knit into that leading back leg in order not to twist the stitches. If I've understood you correctly Carolyn....

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 06:29 PM   #4
Becky Morgan
Turning the Heel

I wrap the yarn the way Carolyn does and it works (but you do have to remember not to twist the stitches when you work the next row.) It's faster for me. Your mileage will no doubt vary.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:40 AM   #5
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,645 Times in 7,047 Posts
Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
No, you still wrap the yarn around the right needle. I use the same motion as I do to make a knit stitch. I think what Carolyn's proposing is making a purl the same way as in combination knitting.
Oh whoops. Thanks for the clarification. I misunderstood I guess.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote