Old 08-15-2008, 03:35 PM   #1
Arielluria
Instepping Out

OT: Who Can Use AND HONOR a WWII Military USMC Uniform???
DH has his dad's WWII USMC uniform and we wouldn't give it to just anyone, it is as sacred to us as the U.S. flag! I'm sure military and USMC museums have all the specimens they need, so where/to whom can one donate such a memento so that it will continue to be honored, as it should be?
A righteous man has regard for the life of his animal (Proverbs 12:10)
Adopt a pet PETFINDER.COM

Free patternns on My blog or on Ravelry:
Arielluria is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-15-2008, 04:06 PM   #2
Becky Morgan
Turning the Heel

If you don't mind, I'll check with the folks on the Authentic Campaigner. While that's a Civil War board, many of them are also WWII historians/living historians and would know where a treasure like that can be properly rehomed.
Arielluria (08-15-2008)
Old 08-15-2008, 04:13 PM   #3
Arielluria
Instepping Out

Absolutely! Thanks a million!

Old 08-15-2008, 05:04 PM   #4
Becky Morgan
Turning the Heel

In half an hour over there I had four replies already, either wanting the uniform or directing me to someone who would. I wouldn't hesitate to give it to any of those who asked. So far they've mentioned:
--the American Military Museum in Charleston, SC
--Joe Blunt, as the representative for the USMC Historical Company:
http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/2268/
--the Stars and Stripes Museum in Bloomfield, MO

I would also encourage you to save all the little bits of WWII paperwork, old ration books, newspaper clippings, etc. that you may find among his things. Too much of that gets thrown away, and sometimes it gives us a whole new perspective on what happened.
Oh, and here's Mt. Vernon's response to your kind thought. Cpl. Joe Marti and his unit are his Civil War persona:

Of course, being a hoarder, I want it all to myself (Mine! Mine! Mine!).

First of all, thank you for taking this seriously. WWII vets are still among us, albeit decreasingly, so the material culture of the time doesn't feel as rarefied as perhaps the equivalent gear from the CW does. When my grandfather was a boy, he remembers seeing his great-grandfather's Civil War uniform rotting in a root cellar in Nebraska. It wasn't important to them because it was relatively recent. We cringe to hear that, but I'm sure that was the fate of perhaps the majority of gear. What you're doing is both rare and vitally important to our country's history

I'm sure there are a fair number of folks here on the site (Brian Hicks comes to mind, though I 'm sure there are more) who are inactive Marines who would either take loving care of it or have knowledge of other places who will benefit from such an august donation.

So much of what we know about the material culture of the Civil War is due to folks like yourself donating items like this to research institutions/museums a la the Smithsonian/National Archives. Without those things we would probably all be wearing cotton uniforms and infantry privates would be sporting cavalry sabers. Oh wait. That's still happening. Just goes to show you, the people need to know!

Nonetheless, I'm sure you've come to the right place to find people who have the correct reverence coupled with the knowledge of just what to do. Good luck!
Army of the Potomac
Arielluria (08-15-2008)
Old 08-15-2008, 05:09 PM   #5
Arielluria
Instepping Out

Becky, God bless you and all who answered your post! I will copy and paste what you sent me into an email to my hubby and get back to this post, OK? I will even include pic(s).

I agree not enough people put the importance to this which they should. I myself am honored to be webmaster to 3 official WWII USMC sites and I learn more and more what a truly awesome and courageous generation they were, and what they did for us!

Old 08-15-2008, 05:58 PM   #6
Lady Violet
Working the Gusset

My mom just finished putting together a scrapbook for her dad (retired army). She used all originals (except for two-sided letters/commendations - she copied the backs of those).

I just asked her about it and she said to take a picture of the uniform today and you could put the color picture next to an old black and white picture of the uniform (if you have one) in a scrapbook (if you have one of those, too). Then she said that if you wanted to display the uniform in your house you could get a shadow box like the ones they display sports uniforms in.

Disclaimer: My mom is an elementary art teacher who also happens to be completely addicted to interior design shows on the weekends and whenever she can get them in during the week. I just made the mistake of asking her if she used originals or copies.

"Beautiful yarn speaks to the soul of a knitter." - Shandeh

"The Swatch is good. The Swatch is wise. Listen to the Swatch." - Sandi Wiseheart

Lady Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 07:47 PM   #7
Wanda Witch
Turning the Heel

What a wonderful thing to save and cherish what is left of WW-11. My DH has a Purple Heart, many other medals from the 'Good War' that hopefully, the granddaughter will always cherish or pass on to organizations who will. He was at Omaha Beach that fateful day oh, so many years ago. He survived, many did not, of course. He has German prisoner items in a footlocker, many old photos of friends and memorabilia from that war. Also, not to be left out here, I have a wonderful photo (actually two) of my father in uniform back in 1917 who was in WW-1 in the AEF (American Expeditionary Forces), stationed in France. It is so great to know some sites that I might look into later on.

I hope, Arielluria, you find just the 'right' home for your father's uniform. How proud you must be and how generous you are to part with it. And, a big 'salute' to that Leatherneck Dad of yours.
Wanda Witch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 10:48 PM   #8
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
Ok, I'll be the bad guy here. Why in the world would you or you DH even consider giving this up? It just doesn't seem right to me.

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 12:25 AM   #9
Lady Violet
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Knitting_Guy View Post
Ok, I'll be the bad guy here. Why in the world would you or you DH even consider giving this up? It just doesn't seem right to me.
I have to completely agree with you, Mason. I refuse to allow my grandfather to get rid of his.

"Beautiful yarn speaks to the soul of a knitter." - Shandeh

"The Swatch is good. The Swatch is wise. Listen to the Swatch." - Sandi Wiseheart

Lady Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 03:53 AM   #10
Debkcs
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,192 Posts
My husband, a Civil War re-enactor, has his Dad's WWII things. The other two 'boys' weren't interested in keeping them. We also have the flag that went on his casket. Michael cherishes these things, interest in them was a bond between he and his Dad.

I'd love to see any pictures you might want to share.

"All good things and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of Lights who cannot change."
James 1:17
Debkcs is offline   Reply With Quote