Old 08-18-2008, 08:11 PM   #1
miccisue
Turning the Heel

Ripping back
I made a HUGE mistake in a blanket I'm knitting. I need to either go back and insert a circular needle into the row before the mistake, or just rip it out altogether and start over.
I've watched the video over and over and over, and it looks fairly easy....until I realize that I'm going to be inserting a needle over basically 3 feet of yarn PLUS the fact that I've used two strands knit together, and one of them is a mohair-like synthetic. The "hairy" stuff, while beautiful in the blanket, is turning out to be a real pain - it's like it wants to hide the stitches from me!
So, if it was you, would you try and insert the needle, or would you just go ahead and rip back to the very beginning right off? I guess trying to do the needle thing would be good practice, and I've got nothing to lose...if I mess it up, I can just rip it out completely. It's just so daunting to look at this three foot wide piece and think of trying to get a needle not only in the right stitch, but the right row..........ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!
miccisue is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-18-2008, 08:33 PM   #2
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
Is the work a complicated stitch? I have not inserted a needle in a row to rip out, although it may be a very good technique, it's not one I have done. Your yarn will make things harder, but like you said you don't have anything to lose. I always try to fix things versus start over if it is remotely possible. I usually learn something by the effort even if I fail.

Another thing you can do is to rip out to at least one row above the problem and then reinsert your needle. Don't worry too much about how you get it in the stitches, just get it in so that things don't unravel. And then you can tink one row to straighten things out more, and take out the offending row. Or you can rip out to and including the row in question, put the needle back in any way you can and then knit the first row very carefully, making sure you have both strands (keep a crochet hook handy for helping you with errant stitches) and repositioning the stitches if they are seated the wrong way on the needle (or work into the back of the stitch to straighten it out).

Do this when you are feeling patient, rested and have plenty of light. :-) Good luck.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:53 PM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
You could rip back to the row before the problem, then insert a needle as you pull out each stitch like you do in `tinking'. The sts won't drop and it's probably the easiest.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
miccisue (08-19-2008)
Old 08-19-2008, 06:36 AM   #4
Knit4Pie
Turning the Heel

I do as suzeeq suggested. I rip back to the row just before the one I need, then release the sts one by one as I insert the needle. I've very rarely missed a st this way. I don't worry about getting them on the needle the right way. I just work through the back as necessary when I start again.

Visit my blog Knitting for Patience
Knit4Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knit4Pie For This Useful Post:
miccisue (08-19-2008)