Old 08-18-2008, 05:39 PM   #1
weeber78
Casting On

Question - Beginner
I am knitting a set of baby booties for the first time. I am pretty much a beginner in knitting but have been self taught thus far. I have run into a problem with the pattern and would like some clarity if anyone can help.
It reads as follows: {k1,p1} 12 times, K6 {p1, k1} 12 times. Then it says "The last row forms the seed st with garter st instep and is repeated twice."
What are they referring to as the "last row"? The last set of instrustions?
Then it goes on to "shape instep". - Keeping seed st correct, work as foll: 1st row (right side) Seed st 23, k2tog, , k4, k2tog, seed st 23. What does 'keeping seed stitch "correct" mean'. Also, when you do the seed st on the 1st row on "shaping the instep" do you alternate the instructions as in the moss stitch every row (ex:{k1,p1} 12 times, K6 {p1, k1} 12 times)? I did exactly that and it doesn't seem to turn out right. Please help. Thank you!
weeber78 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-18-2008, 05:41 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,744 Times in 7,115 Posts
Welcome to KH! Do you have a link to the pattern?

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 05:45 PM   #3
weeber78
Casting On

So sorry. I am just learning how to use this chat. Never been in one before. I have taken the pattern from a book. I don't know if it is available online. The book is Debbie Bliss Simply baby and the pattern is called Cuff Bootees. If I can give you more information please let me know. It is a rather long pattern. I could type the whole thingbut that would take some time. Please advise. Thanks!
weeber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 05:47 PM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,744 Times in 7,115 Posts
Do not post the entire pattern as that is a copyright violation. It's okay that it's in a book, that's not a problem. I'm sure someone here has the book and can help you.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 09:44 PM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
The `last row' would generally mean the previous row, the one they described. To stay in seed stitch for the following rows, you would k the sts that look like purls and purl the sts that look like knits. The garter st strip they refer to is the 6 knit sts, you knit them every row.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 12:28 PM   #6
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
Quote:
{k1,p1} 12 times, K6 {p1, k1} 12 times.
That is used as a set up row for the next part. {k1,p1} repeated 12 times is one row of seed stitch, then K6 for the garter stitch instep and then more seed stitch. (it says do that row twice before you start the shaping part) I noticed you mentioned moss stitch down a little further in your post. Does the pattern actually mention both seed stitch and moss stitch, or did you use something you know as moss stitch earlier in the bootie and now it is asking you to do seed stitch? I think seed stitch and moss stitch are the same thing. (Others correct me if I'm wrong)

Sue gave you a good explanation of seed stitch,
Quote:
you would k the sts that look like purls and purl the sts that look like knits.
. You said,
Quote:
do you alternate the instructions as in the moss stitch every row (ex:{k1,p1} 12 times, K6 {p1, k1} 12 times)?
Yes, you alternate knits over purls and purls over knits. I thought you might be mixed up because you call that moss stitch instead of seed stitch. They are the same.

But then you said you did that and it didn't work. I'm not sure where you are fouling up. Did you get this figured out or are you still having trouble?