Old 08-22-2008, 05:13 PM   #11
mullerslanefarm
Turning the Heel

Well, you found out on your own about making sure the drive wheel is on correctly.

Next step is to find out if the drive wheel is true. If not, the band will always 'walk' and eventually fall off.

Long draw with your left hand while controlling the drive wheel with your right hand.

It's ALL in the fiber prep. You want very lofty fiber and a very loose hold on it. The fiber should be a the tip of the spindle. As you move the drive wheel clockwise, pull back on your fiber, then tension between the spindle and fiber should put twist in. as you release and turn the drive wheel slightly counter clock wise, than again clock wise, you will take the fiber off the tip, then wind onto the bobbin.

Good long draw spinning is all in the fiber prep. you want the fibers to slip by each other easily

Muller's Lane Farm
Our Lessons in Homesteading
mullerslanefarm is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-22-2008, 06:51 PM   #12
fibrenut
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to fibrenut
You might be able to take a piece of sandpaper to the groove that the drive band sits in on the great wheel and roughen it up just a little bit to give it some bite.
Someone might have thought they were doing a good thing and when they waxed the other parts of the wheel they waxed the groove also. It just needs a little roughening up.
Also for authenticities sake you could use a piece of cotton twine or yarn for the drive band. Sometimes they do wear out n they do need replaced.

knittycakebaker on ravelry
LOOK TWICE SAVE A LIFE
motorcycles are everywhere!!
Abate of Colorado
fibrenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 01:02 PM   #13
ragtimelil
Casting On

Cyndi,
The drive band is staying on, even with the wheel on the wrong side. Don't think that will be the problem. The main problem right now is ME. I know the wool I was trying to spin wasn't very well prepared. But I was just so excited to see the thing actually work! They should have it turned around next week so I can practice for real. Thanks for the tips!
Lana
ragtimelil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 01:05 PM   #14
ragtimelil
Casting On

Originally Posted by fibrenut View Post
You might be able to take a piece of sandpaper to the groove that the drive band sits in on the great wheel and roughen it up just a little bit to give it some bite.
Someone might have thought they were doing a good thing and when they waxed the other parts of the wheel they waxed the groove also. It just needs a little roughening up.
Also for authenticities sake you could use a piece of cotton twine or yarn for the drive band. Sometimes they do wear out n they do need replaced.
There isn't any groove on any great wheel I've ever seen. That's what was making it more difficult. But it seems to be working now! I did put a new drive band on since the original was long gone. This wheel is probably 100 years old and probably hasn't been used in almost that long!
Old 08-23-2008, 06:38 PM   #15
Doublereeder2
Working the Gusset

Very cool! Do you have pictures of this wheel that you could post?

Aw, gee - c'mon and see: www.knittinreed.blogspot.com
Doublereeder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 09:51 PM   #16
ragtimelil
Casting On

Originally Posted by Doublereeder2 View Post
Very cool! Do you have pictures of this wheel that you could post?
I don't yet, but I should do that. I'll try to remember to take my camera.
L
Old 09-30-2008, 08:15 PM   #17
PioneerWoman
Casting On

If you want to be authentic, you need to use beeswax on your drive band/wheel. I've also heard of some people using rosin. It might need to be cleaned first if it has years of oils on it. Over-tightening it to avoid slipping can be stressful to the wood joints and axle.
PioneerWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 12:49 PM   #18
ragtimelil
Casting On

Thanks. I haven't put anything on it. I'm getting better at the draw but it's still a struggle. SOOOO glad they invented treadle wheels. Still haven't got a pic. Soon, I promise!
L
Old 10-06-2008, 12:41 PM   #19
Lipanj
Casting On

A few things to check. Make sure the band is now too smooth...a fine sandpaper will do the trick. Check to see if the wheel is in alignment with the head....an incorrect angle can cause the band to wonder too much. Also, the band itself may be too long and you may need to shorten. Check to see if the mother-of-all head is moving smoothly. These are issues I have incurred in the past with my wheels.
Lipanj is offline   Reply With Quote