Old 08-21-2008, 11:00 AM   #1
Tropicflower24
Turning the Heel

My mom came up with a AWESOME idea.......
My mom and I were talking, and she came up with the great idea to hold a knitting class. I'm already teaching my sister, younger cousin, my mom's best friend and her (friend's) 2 daughters...... So why not? So we were talking, and going over everything I'd need money for a such, I know I could do it. So I'm getting things in order to hold that in sept.

I've got a few ideas..... But mom said that most people are going to lose intrest after 2 hours, so that is the max time.

Should I,
A. Go over c/o, knit, purl, and b/o
B Try to fit in a increase and decrease
C Just try to get the first done and see what happens.

I figured it up, and as long as I can find some people who want to learn, I'm doing good! LOL I am splurging though, and buying 10 skeins of Wool of the Andes. I hated having to learn on acrylic. But I might get some of KP's cotton yarn in case of wool allergies. Anywayz, I've gotta get. Let me know what you think!

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-21-2008, 11:04 AM   #2
Debkcs
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,192 Posts
Sounds like a great idea, passing on knitting to others is always good. You might want to wait on the yarn until you can ask them if they have any allergies, and save yourself some money.

"All good things and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of Lights who cannot change."
James 1:17
Debkcs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Debkcs For This Useful Post:
Tropicflower24 (08-21-2008)
Old 08-21-2008, 11:16 AM   #3
Tropicflower24
Turning the Heel

Thanks for the advice!

My thought with the yarn is, I'd buy some in cotton and wool, and offer either of those. And then, what evers left over..... I feel a need for wool pulling me towards KP quite often. I love their wool, and it's so cheap! I love Knitpicks!
Old 08-21-2008, 11:17 AM   #4
HollyP
Working the Gusset

That sounds like a great idea! I would stick to k, p, and bind off for the first lesson and see from there. You don't want to overload them! I've taught several people to knit. Some have picked it up remarkably quick doing increases and decreases in about an hour and others were struggling to get the knit stich down. When I taught my sister and sil to knit I used cotton. The each knit a dishcloth for their first project. On sale the yarn cost me about $ 1. Honestly I think that when learning it helps to have a set project. I learned to knit about 10 years ago and I was so bored knitting rectangle/squares. If I had knit them in cotton and was told you can use this when it is done I would have been much more enthusiastic!

Southeast Baby Oddball Blog
HollyP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HollyP For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2008, 11:28 AM   #5
Tropicflower24
Turning the Heel

Quote:
Honestly I think that when learning it helps to have a set project. I learned to knit about 10 years ago and I was so bored knitting rectangle/squares. If I had knit them in cotton and was told you can use this when it is done I would have been much more enthusiastic!
This is my thought...... I never LEARNed, so I didn't have to do the squares, but the thought of it drives me insane. A washcloth is a good idea. Hmm..... I had been thinking like something from Purple Duckie (Randomnicole on Rav)..... You know, the washcloths that have designs that are JUST knit and purl? but I don't know if that would be a good idea if some people were faster learning than others. Hmm......
Old 08-21-2008, 11:31 AM   #6
LovelyLinda
1st Leg of the Journey

I also agree with teaching the co, knit, purl and bo for a first lesson. Depending on how quickly each pick it up you may only get to co and knit. Focussing on a project is a great idea, especially for those who may be results oriented and like to see the fruits of their labor.

Good luck. I think its great that you're taking the time to pass on your love of knitting.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:38 AM   #7
Debkcs
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,192 Posts
One of the women who gives classes and posts here, can't remember who , said that she cast on the first project for each person, since that was one of the most difficult and time consuming things for newbies. It may have been Sandy (Shendah). Then the student gets a feel for the knit and purl stitches before having to do something that might be really frustrating for them.

I don't mind casting on, it's the counting that bugs me.

"All good things and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of Lights who cannot change."
James 1:17
Debkcs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Debkcs For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2008, 12:58 PM   #8
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,783 Times in 7,146 Posts
My two cents, take it or leave it -

Don't overload them with information. I honestly think teaching just the cast on and knit stitch is enough for a two hour span on the first day. The knit stitch is the easiest one and it's a good one for learning to hold the needles and yarn and practicing keeping the tension right. For homework then can practice all this.

Second class teach purling and bind off and how the two stitches can work together in combination (rib, seed, stockinette). Again this is probably enough for a two hour span. Practice these in various combinations for homework.

NOW it's time to start a simple pattern. They have the basics down and can pretty much do anything.

You might include a class on pattern reading, too.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2008, 01:59 PM   #9
Sunshine's Mom
Turning the Heel

I think you should make a list of what each person should bring to class with them. That way they can get their own yarn pursuant to their own allergies. Provide them with a guideline: "Worsted weight yarn of any kind you like and size ____ needles". "Needles may be plastic, wood or aluminum". If you have their e-mail addresses, send them links to what they should be looking for. This way you aren't out any money. It's a nice idea for you to buy supplies, but unless they are paying you back you would be upset if they decide not to come to the second class and walk off with your yarn and needles. I know I would. Any knitting class you'd go to you'd have to bring your own stuff anyway.

Cast on. Show them a simple cast on (my preference is long-tail because it's fast) or two or three, but not too many that they get bored because they want to start knitting.

I think you can get away with teaching both the knit stitch and the purl stitch in the same class. But wait to do binding-off until they've practiced more.

I think I might take a few minutes at the beginning to go over all the things that you're going to teach them and while doing each class you'll see how fast people are progressing and you can adjust from there.

I think this is a great idea and I'm envious of you getting to do this. I wish I had some friends who'd like to learn to knit. Enjoy it!!
Sunshine's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sunshine's Mom For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2008, 03:52 PM   #10
stdwynwen
Casting On

I went to a two day (total four hours) Knitting 101 class at JoAnn's back in November 2007.

My only complaint would have to be the project they picked (it was a purse). It just wasn't practical IMO. So I agree with others keep it simple and don't overload.

My favorite part of the 2nd day lesson was being taken through the isles learning about all the different yarns and how to read the labels (especially the symbols) on them. Looking at all the different needles.

What I also liked about it was the teacher wasn't married to a certain technique. I had learned a co before I went and it wasn't what she started everyone with . And the co did seem to take the longest to get through for everyone. I just went back to what I was comfortable with and sailed along.
stdwynwen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stdwynwen For This Useful Post: