Old 08-01-2008, 09:46 PM   #1
spooky
Knitting the Flap

I need an opinion on an Interchangeable Needle Set
Hello All,
I have lately been wanting to buy the Boye The Needlemaster Set ( http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.j...RODID=prd20751 ) , but am unsure if I should or not. I have read mixed reviews on it and really need more opinions.
Has anyone ever had a problem with their neeles due to weight ? (say you were knitting a baby blanket)

Do the cables break easily?
Does your yarn snag on the plastic cables?
What do you think about the set, overall?
Can you easily magic loop with this set? (this is my MAIN reason for wanting them!!!!)

My birthday is coming up and this MAY be something I would like to ask for. My other reason for wanting this kit is because I have a 40% off coupon from Michaels this week.. which will lower the price (retail is I think about $69).

Thanks a bunch for the imput!!

Still as cheap as she can be
Spooky

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-01-2008, 10:24 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Many people prefer Knitpick's options interchangeables for less than Joann's is selling the Boyes. The Boye cords are rather stiff and the metal joins are long making the tips longer. KPs cords are soft and very flexible so Magic loop is much easier. One drawback to the KPs is that you can't join cords together to make really long needles like you can with Boyes. I don't think the Boyes are heavier than KPs

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:52 PM   #3
spooky
Knitting the Flap

I think I would still be saving money with the 40% off coupon.... Lets see... I think that would run me around $46.97 after the rebate and with our lovely 10% tax. (Boye set)

Now the knitpicks is $59.99. No shipping because the order is over $50.

A difference of $13.02.

With the Boye set you get 14 different needles (size 2-15) and Separate cables in lengths of 20'',24'',29'' & 36''.

Knitpicks you get 9 different sizese US Sizes: (4,5,6,7,8,9,10,10.5 and 11) and
CABLES == 2 each of 24" and 32" lengths.

Is this $13.02 difference and 5 needle and 3 cable shortage that much better than the Boye set?

Just curious before I make this big of a commitment.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:12 PM   #4
Plantgoddess+
Working the Gusset

My local Michaels store carries Denise interchangeables. It has the options you are looking at for Boyes without as many of the negatives. Having used neither of those ( I have Options) I am only going on what I have read here in previous discussions on pros and cons. I don't remember anyone off hand who like Boyes.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:34 PM   #5
jdee
Working the Gusset

Have you read this thread? http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=57276

In the third post from the top, Amy writes a great comparison of all the pros and cons of each interchangeable set.

Visit my blog at www.jdeeannsblog@blogspot.com
Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew as steadfast spirit within me. Psalm 51:10
jdee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jdee For This Useful Post:
princessbonniejane (08-22-2008)
Old 08-01-2008, 11:45 PM   #6
spooky
Knitting the Flap

Thanks for the link Jdee! That helps a bunch . I have only checked one Michaels in the area, but there is another one in the opposite direction. The Michaels I checked today only had the Boye set, but since this weekend is the tax-free weekend for school it is probably possible that I will be on the other side of town and will be able to see if the other Michaels has any other brands of interchangeable needle sets.

It sounds like the Boye set is way to stiff for what I want to do with it. Like I said, my main goal is magic loop. I also like the fact that the Denise Interchangeable set has a 17 inch cable. That is very appealing for hats .

Keep posting your opinions . I hope I can make a decision soon LOL!!!
Old 08-01-2008, 11:52 PM   #7
Lisa R.
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by spooky View Post
I think I would still be saving money with the 40% off coupon.... Lets see... I think that would run me around $46.97 after the rebate and with our lovely 10% tax. (Boye set)

Now the knitpicks is $59.99. No shipping because the order is over $50.

A difference of $13.02.

With the Boye set you get 14 different needles (size 2-15) and Separate cables in lengths of 20'',24'',29'' & 36''.

Knitpicks you get 9 different sizese US Sizes: (4,5,6,7,8,9,10,10.5 and 11) and
CABLES == 2 each of 24" and 32" lengths.

Is this $13.02 difference and 5 needle and 3 cable shortage that much better than the Boye set?

Just curious before I make this big of a commitment.

IMHO, there is a HUGE difference between the two, and for me, it is definitely worth the differences to get the KnitPicks.

I found the Boye set at a Tues.Morning store for $30 and bought them for my 10yod. She loves them, but on the occasions I've let her use my KP's she likes mine better. I'm borrowing her size 13 for a project, but I just cast on tonight. So far....I still like the KP's better.

I have only just barely tried Magic Loop, but I think the Boye cables are too stiff for them to be a good choice for that.

But then, everyone has different preferences. You might well be much happier with the Boyes, especially money comparison will bug you.

I'm Knittermom9 on Ravelry
Lisa R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 12:08 AM   #8
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
The fixed needle Boyes work very well for Magic Loop, but because of the join on the interchangeables amd the stiff cord, they're much more difficult. It would be worth it for the aggravation factor alone to consider a different set if you're looking to do quite a bit of ML.

Last edited by suzeeq : 08-02-2008 at 12:23 PM.
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 09:52 AM   #9
SBG
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via Yahoo to SBG
I have a couple of Boye circs, and the Knit Picks set. I can't imagine doing magic loop on Boye. The cords are so stiff! I also love the tips (I have nickel-plated & harmony wood and they are both wonderful!) and they're way better than the Boye ones. Knit Picks sells a 47" cable, and I can't imagine needing anything longer than that. You get 2 in each pack. Mine have been 200% worth the money
SBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 10:02 AM   #10
Crycket
Working the Gusset

Send a message via Skype™ to Crycket
I hate Boye products...

I have not bought the circular set...but that is because I don't like the way boye needles have the surface wear off where you knit...*blah*

I like my Denise set...although I imagine...it would not be very practical for magic loop

Growing old is mandatory, growing UP is optional!
Crycket is offline   Reply With Quote