Old 08-24-2008, 09:09 PM   #1
mom43boyz
Ribbing the Cuff

help with vintage pattern
I want to make the Women's Open Palm Mittens, found here:

http://www.freevintageknitting.com/m...s-pattern.html

I plan to use only one color (two at most). Can someone suggest a nice yarn to use? I'd like to use something durable, but soft and fairly easy to care for as I'm sure they'll be seeing at least some snow (even if just when I clean off my windshield this winter!)

Thanks for the help!

I my boys!
mom43boyz is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-24-2008, 10:26 PM   #2
brittyknits
Turning the Heel

I've knit this pattern several times (it's a very popular gift!). I've used Lionbrand's Wool-ease with a very tight gauge-- the pattern calls for 6 sts = 1", and Wool-ease is really more of a worsted. But that way the mitts are very warm and "solid". A DK weight (which is a light worsted or sports weight) is really what's called for.

And just so you know, the directions work perfectly-- just follow them exactly and they'll be great!
brittyknits is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brittyknits For This Useful Post:
mom43boyz (08-24-2008)
Old 08-24-2008, 11:24 PM   #3
mom43boyz
Ribbing the Cuff

Thanks for info! I don't really have any worsted on hand that I'm excited about, but I do have a nice sport weight I was thinking of using. I think I'll start with that and see how they work up. I'll probably end up knitting two pair - I'll pick up some Wool-Ease soon. Do you use the size 4 needles with the worsted weight?

I my boys!
Old 08-25-2008, 08:07 AM   #4
brittyknits
Turning the Heel

More like a 2, but I always have to go down a couple of needle sizes to get gauge. Just be sure to make a gauge swatch, and you'll be fine. The sports weight you're talking about sounds perfect.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:45 PM   #5
mom43boyz
Ribbing the Cuff

Women's Open Palm Mittens-pattern help
Hi! I'm getting ready to start the Open Palm Mittens and I have a couple of questions about the pattern (I'll include the link for the pattern at the end if anyone can help!)

First, I'm having a hard time understanding this part of the pattern (I'll underline the part I'm confused about):

2nd inc. round--Inc. 1 st in first st, k2, inc. 1 st in next st, k to end of round; 7 sts in thumb gore. K 2 rounds even. Continue to inc. 1 st each side of thumb gore every 3rd round having 2 more sts between incs. after each successive inc. round until there are 15 sts in thumb gore; 54 sts. K 2 rounds even. Slip 15 thumb sts to strand of yarn. Cast on 3 sts, mark for end of round; 42 sts. Place first 10 sts on first needle, next 10 sts on 2nd needle, and remaining 22 sts on 3rd needle for palm. K 10 rounds even.

(Is that underlined part wordy, or am I just trying too hard to understand the directions?)

Next question:
Dividing round--K 20 sts, leave on needles for back of hand; bind off next 22 sts in ribbing. Fasten ff.

(What is 'ff'?)

The pattern can be found here:
http://www.freevintageknitting.com/m...s-pattern.html

Thanks for the help!

I my boys!
Old 08-29-2008, 04:07 PM   #6
Daylilydayzed
Turning the Heel

I think that the FF may be a typo. I bet it is fasten off.

Last edited by Daylilydayzed : 08-29-2008 at 04:10 PM. Reason: spelling error
Daylilydayzed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daylilydayzed For This Useful Post:
mom43boyz (08-29-2008)
Old 08-29-2008, 04:33 PM   #7
brittyknits
Turning the Heel

I just pulled out my original copy-- yes, that's a typo and should be "fasten off".
As for the thumb increases, here's a translation:
1. In the first round where you increase for the thumb, you inc 1 in the first st [that's 2 sts], knit 1 [another 1 st] and then inc 1 in the next st [and that's also 2 sts]. That's a total of 5 sts you now have for what is going to be your thumb. Then you keep knitting for the rest of that round.
2. Now you knit 2 more rounds, just plain knitting, nothing special.
3. For the next round, which they call the "2nd increase rnd", you inc. 1 st in the first st [thats 2 sts], then K 3 [that's 3 sts], then inc. 1 st in the next st [that's 2 more sts], for a total of 7 sts in your thumb section, and then knit to the end of the round. THAT 3 I PUT IN BOLD IS ANOTHER ONE OF THEIR TYPOS-- it should be a 3, but they wrote "2"
Then, again,knit 2 more rounds plain, without doing anything special.

You're going to keep doing this, that is inc 1 in the first st, knit some sts in between-- each time being 2 more than the previous time-- and then inc 1 in the next st, until there are 15 sts in that thumb section. To make it even clearer: in the last increase round for this thumb section, you will inc 1 in first st, knit 11, then inc 1 in the next st. This will be 15. You will have a total of 54 sts.

As I said, I have the original from my grandmother, so don't hesitate to ask away. It seems that the copiers weren't completely careful!
The Following User Says Thank You to brittyknits For This Useful Post:
mom43boyz (08-29-2008)
Old 08-29-2008, 04:37 PM   #8
mom43boyz
Ribbing the Cuff

Duh! I didn't even think about a typo! I was racking my brain trying to think what 'ff' could be abbreviating!

I'm only going with one color for my first pair. I'm a little confused because I tried to 're-write' the pattern, without the color changes, and I think I may have messed it up. I've decided I'm just going to start and not worry about the entire pattern, but just follow one step at a time. It will probably be fine, right???

I my boys!
Old 08-29-2008, 04:42 PM   #9
brittyknits
Turning the Heel

Yup, it'll be fine. Just ignore the color changes. I make them in 1 color all the time.
Old 08-31-2008, 05:46 PM   #10
mom43boyz
Ribbing the Cuff

help (again) with vintage mitten pattern!
I'm having a lot of trouble casting on the 3 stitches it calls for in the 2nd increase round. I keep doing the 'knitted cast on' but what's happening is that I can't get it tight enough, and I have a large gap. Any suggestions?

I my boys!