Old 09-20-2008, 03:31 PM   #11
Mystery_Gyrl
Turning the Heel

MGM,
Its cool to see so many people interested in the scarf "project," I have seen some really lovely scarves made on a few knit or crochet blogs. I do not have a Wal-mart near me, so I had to order some delft blue through the mail.
Katrina

Miss Marple: It helps me to concentrate, milord.

Judge: It does not help me, madame.

Miss Marple: Oh. Very well. (puts away knitting)

Judge: Thank you, Madame.

The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne.
~ Geoffrey Chaucer - The Parliament of Fowls Line 1.
Mystery_Gyrl is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-22-2008, 06:41 PM   #12
weezie
Ribbing the Cuff

Thanks! I didn't think they'd be to 5000 yet, but I may call the number just to see if I can get some information on where they are at and if I find out anything I'll certainly post the info here for all who are participating.

I did get to WalMart and found the Delft blue... it's a pretty blue! I had three or four other blue colors in my stash, but of course, not this one! I almost have one scarf done already! I bought several skeins and am hoping to make 20 or so scarves if possible, but I see the oddball blanket charity thread and think that would be fun to participate in too, so I'll have to divide up my time for the time being.

I have a granddaughter who is special needs and I'm sure she'll be participating in the Special Olympics in a few years when she is old enough to, so this scarf project for the Special Olympics Winter Games will be a ton of fun to work on.

Almost done with scarf number one and will be headed to number two this evening.

Thanks all!
Weezie
weezie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 05:00 PM   #13
weezie
Ribbing the Cuff

Hi again.... I called the Special Olympics Winter Games contact number and talked to a nice lady. There was a bit of a language barrier and I'm not sure she understood exactly what I was asking as far as how many scarves they had and if they needed more, and then I also didn't quite understand what she meant about people having picked up yarn there to take home and make scarves, and something about 1000 scarves.... maybe Coats and Clark donated some and they had enough yarn there for 1000 scarves and you could come and get it if you wanted to or something.... needless to say, it was sort of an interesting conversation....

Anyway, it didn't sound like they even had gotten any finished scarves in yet, but it was pretty clear that 5000 scarves are a lot of scarves and they probably could use more, so she said feel free to send some in.

I also did a search for the SOWG scarves and did find some blogs, etc., such as Mystery_Gyrl said, and they are very nice. I went to the Coates and Clark site and the patterns they have there are for scarves that are 5-1/2" wide by 50" long, but the SOWG site stated their guidelines were 4-1/2" by 50". I noticed on some blogs that they all seemed to vary in width from 5-6" and length from 50-60" and one place even mentioned that there was leeway in the size. I'm sticking closer to the 4-1/2x50... less yarn, more scarves!

I have made three so far and am working on a fourth. I found a lot of the Delft blue at WalMart, so picked up several skeins along with some white. If I get tired of making them, the blue is a beautiful color and I could always make a sweater for my grandson or something with what's left... or save it for next year's Winter Games, though I don't know if it's the same colors every year or not. I think the Coats and Clark site had something about the scarf project that contained pictures of a bunch of people looked like they were in a stadium all wearing these blue and white scarves, so maybe that was from last year.... anybody know about that? I could always call the committee again and ask. If so, then we could get a jump on making scarves for future years too.

Anyway, just letting you who are interested know that it sounds like they still want scarves, so knit or crochet away!

Thanks,
Sandi
Old 10-15-2008, 07:27 PM   #14
knitcindy
Turning the Heel

We've made some too!!!!!
I've been teaching a knitting/crocheting class to 10-12 year old girls and we've made quite a few of these!!!! The other teacher and myself have each made 4.

I am so glad to be able to help reach the goal of 5,000!!!!

knitcindy
knitcindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 10:59 PM   #15
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,845 Times in 1,909 Posts
Here's my progress so far on my scarf for the campaign:

I'm using the "Racing Stripes Scarf" pattern from the 2008 Knitting Pattern a Day calendar.
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:03 PM   #16
weezie
Ribbing the Cuff

Way to go knitcindy and Sandy... love the racing stripes pattern. And good luck to you teaching the new knitters knitcindy! It's great to know that the next generation knitters are up and coming.

I've been working on the Special Olympics scarves for a while now. I have about nine done and plan on doing several more, hopefully about 20 total if I have time... more if I have even more time, but Christmas is coming and I've got to get working on some things for that. I also am ready to send close to 40 hats to the homeless veterans' shelter near me that I worked on all through the summer in my spare time. I'd like to get the Special Olympic scarves done first so they can be sent on... so much I'd like to do... so little time!!

I'll try to post a picture of the some of the scarves I've done already... if I can figure out how to post it. I kept is simple, just blocks of alternating Delft blue and white, horizontal stripes, vertical stripes, and half-and-half... I like mindless knitting for the most part, and if I don't have to think much about it, I can usually do more!

Hope all of you are having a good time working on these scarves too!

Knit on!
Sandi
Attached Images:

Old 10-20-2008, 11:08 PM   #17
MGM
Turning the Heel

Here are two that I have crocheted for the SO, plus a little tutorial on fringe. I have another scarf on my knitting needles right now. Great project for a great cause!

MGM
I'm also HookedOnNeedles on Flickr!
And you can find me on Facebook too!
MGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:30 PM   #18
weezie
Ribbing the Cuff

Beautiful scarves Mary Grace! I knit and crochet, but have only knit the Special Olympics scarves so far... you have inspired me to get out my crochet hook and try a few of those!

Your tutorial on the fringes was excellent too!

I mentioned earlier that I have a granddaughter with Down Syndrome, so this cause is truly near and dear to my heart as I know when she's old enough, she will be participating in the Special Olympics and I love that I can help in this small way. We have participated in the Buddy Walk locally a few times and the Down Syndrome group in our area is getting quite active again so I intend to do more with them as my granddaughter gets older. I believe you have to be 7 years old to actually participate in the Special Olympic games, so she has another year or so to go before then....

She is always interested in my knitting basket on the floor by my chair and attempts to grab the needles and project on them when I'm not looking! One time she just even grabbed what I was working on and put it in her lap and pretended she was knitting! It was so cute! I've already had a crochet hook in her hand (safer than knitting needles I thought!), though she's not catching on yet....but she will... ... and I'm sure she'll be happy to make scarves for this project in years to come if they keep it going.

Thanks to all who are contributing!

Sandi
Old 10-22-2008, 11:45 AM   #19
momwolf
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,136 Times in 707 Posts
I'm in I got my yarn yesterday.Gonna try and do a Illusion
Chart of the SO symbol.Wish me luck

Everyone's scarfs look GREAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!

momwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 05:25 AM   #20
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,845 Times in 1,909 Posts
Welcome Julie, and good luck!
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shandeh For This Useful Post:
momwolf (10-23-2008)