Old 09-01-2008, 02:34 PM   #11
auntcrafty
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by MAmaDawn View Post
I've never made mittens before... but I wanted to make these... do they count? I love knitted ornaments on my tree...
Ooo -- I like those! If these count, I'm in, too! I can add those to my Christmas projects list.

"....that their hearts may be encouraged, being knit together in love... Colossians 2:2
auntcrafty is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-01-2008, 02:34 PM   #12
Karina
Working the Gusset

Dustina I have seen a few free patterns like the one you have done that I am tempted to try but I just don't understand how the thumb is done. it say something about using a scrap bit of yarn and knitting nine stitches with it then put the nine stitches back on the left needle and carry on knitting the hand bit of the glove. I think that is how it was described but I just don't understand it.

I may just end up doing some fingerless gloves.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:10 PM   #13
Karina
Working the Gusset

I just had a though as I was surfing looking for mittens. when you knit the nine stitches with scrap yarn and then carry on knitting the mitten as normal, will you remove the scrap yarn and then reveal a hole with 18 live stitches and knit the thumb from that. Did I have a brain wave or am I still not getting it.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:10 PM   #14
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,843 Times in 1,908 Posts
Originally Posted by dustinac View Post
YAY!! A mitten KAL... I did finish the WVU mittens so now I'm working on Roo's mittens. ..Here is the first one the pattern is Rosie Mittens found here
GORGEOUS! You're braver than I am.
Originally Posted by MAmaDawn View Post
I've never made mittens before... but I wanted to make these... do they count? I love knitted ornaments on my tree...
Go for it! I bet that when you finish those tiny mittens, you'll be ready to make some full-size ones as well.
Originally Posted by farmgirl View Post
Count me in, too! We have Hope House here. It's a home for unwed mothers who are going to school and/or trying to get their life together. We have donated toys to them in the past and I'm sure they would appreciate mittens. Thanks for the wonderful idea!
Excellent plan!
Originally Posted by auntcrafty View Post
Ooo -- I like those! If these count, I'm in, too! I can add those to my Christmas projects list.
Go for it!
Originally Posted by Karina View Post
Dustina I have seen a few free patterns like the one you have done that I am tempted to try but I just don't understand how the thumb is done. it say something about using a scrap bit of yarn and knitting nine stitches with it then put the nine stitches back on the left needle and carry on knitting the hand bit of the glove. I think that is how it was described but I just don't understand it. ......
I think you should try to make ONE mitten, with us helping along the way. I bet you'll figure it out for sure. And as Ingrid says, "Trust the pattern". I think that when you see all the stitches in your hands, the pattern instructions will make more sense. I know it was that way for me when I made a Christening Gown and when I made the helmetliner for a soldier:
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shandeh For This Useful Post:
auntcrafty (09-01-2008), dustinac (09-01-2008), Karina (09-01-2008)
Old 09-01-2008, 03:16 PM   #15
Karina
Working the Gusset

Cute dress Sandy and the helmet liner looks great.

Have found a couple of patterns on Garnstudio.com that does the thumb by increasing the stitches like on a normal glove, which I know how to do. But still want to know how to do it the other way as well.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:17 PM   #16
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Originally Posted by Karina View Post
I just had a though as I was surfing looking for mittens. when you knit the nine stitches with scrap yarn and then carry on knitting the mitten as normal, will you remove the scrap yarn and then reveal a hole with 18 live stitches and knit the thumb from that. Did I have a brain wave or am I still not getting it.
I'm not sure if it's the same as your pattern, but I made mittens before, and left some stitches on a tiny stitch holder while I continued making the hand part of the mitten. When the hand part was complete, the stitches on the stitch holder were then used to make the thumb. I think they are telling you to put your stitches on scrap yarn, because it makes it easier to hold when you're knitting the rest of the mitten.

Here are the mittens I made a few years ago:
Old 09-01-2008, 03:54 PM   #17
MainelyKnitting
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via Yahoo to MainelyKnitting
Originally Posted by Shandeh View Post
I'm not sure if it's the same as your pattern, but I made mittens before, and left some stitches on a tiny stitch holder while I continued making the hand part of the mitten. When the hand part was complete, the stitches on the stitch holder were then used to make the thumb. I think they are telling you to put your stitches on scrap yarn, because it makes it easier to hold when you're knitting the rest of the mitten.

I completely agree! I was taught to use a safety pin to hold stitches and did it that way for many years. I now use a piece of yarn (I think cotton yarn works great for this) and I find that it's much easier to put the thumb stitches on the needles from the yarn, rather than when they are on a pin or holder.

For anyone who is new to knitting mittens in the round, I have passed this link onto quite a few who thought it was a good starter mitten pattern, you may find the same:
Basic Pattern for Children's Mittens.

My BLOG
MainelyKnitting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MainelyKnitting For This Useful Post:
Shandeh (09-01-2008)
Old 09-01-2008, 04:29 PM   #18
Karina
Working the Gusset

I have found the mittens that I want to make
http://www.helloyarn.com/piratemittens.htm
and this hat to go with. http://www.helloyarn.com/wecallthempirates.htm
This will be for my son who will think I am the coolest mum in the world when he gets this for Christmas (there is method to my madness)

Am now trying to get the yarn for it. just found out that Dale of Norway Hauk is water and snow repellent, so want to use that. so far I have only found the black here in the UK, have sent an email to see if they could get the white for me so will wait and see.

These mittens use the method that I described earlier, where you knit the stitches with a scrap piece of yarn and then return to left needle and carry on in pattern. Then when the hand bit is done you go back and remove the scrap yarn and have, I think, 18 live stitches for the thumb
Old 09-01-2008, 04:40 PM   #19
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Nice choice, Karina!
The Following User Says Thank You to Shandeh For This Useful Post:
Karina (09-01-2008)
Old 09-01-2008, 05:17 PM   #20
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
Karina~Great mitten choice! I agree the pattern will make sense as you do it...the thumb might sound confusing but when you get there we will be here to help, and it will fall into place

Sandy~You should give colorwork a try, it's lots of fun! Love the mittens and helmet liner.

Mamadawn~Great choice!!

farmgirl~Wonderful idea

auntcrafty~Can't wait to see them

I wanted to also show you that mittens can be for your hands, tree, or ears...these were a HUGE hit last year and really I need to get busy on making more ...I had one friend ask if I would make some for her dollhouse...I just used size 0000 needles, sock yarn, and a pattern for ornaments
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	mini mitten.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	49827  

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dustinac For This Useful Post:
Firey Vixxen (09-03-2008), Karina (09-01-2008)