Old 09-04-2008, 02:13 AM   #51
nicolejc83
Ribbing the Cuff

The mittens I made to fit my four year old measure 6.5 inches cuff to tip, however I would add another three-four inches to the cuff, which is what I am doing with the second pair. You might try sport weight mixed with worsted on size 6 or 7 needles, 6 for the cuff 7 for the hand seems to be working for me.

ON
Two Pair of mittens, scarf for ds, sock for stepmum

574 For Life
nicolejc83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nicolejc83 For This Useful Post:
TrikkeAddict (09-04-2008)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-04-2008, 02:15 AM   #52
nicolejc83
Ribbing the Cuff

BTW, my four year old is a little on the small side and the mittens I made the first time are a little to big for her both in the wrist and the hand, I would say 8-9 inches cuff to tip for a 3 year old with a four inch cuff and add an inch for each year after that, half an inch to the cuff and half to the hand.

ON

574 For Life
The Following User Says Thank You to nicolejc83 For This Useful Post:
TrikkeAddict (09-04-2008)
Old 09-04-2008, 04:55 AM   #53
MainelyKnitting
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via Yahoo to MainelyKnitting
Originally Posted by nicolejc83 View Post
The mittens I made to fit my four year old measure 6.5 inches cuff to tip, however I would add another three-four inches to the cuff, which is what I am doing with the second pair. You might try sport weight mixed with worsted on size 6 or 7 needles, 6 for the cuff 7 for the hand seems to be working for me.
That's a good idea for the cuff. I always make a long cuff (4" or more) because I can so vividly remember playing outside in the winter as a child and the snow getting up under my coat sleeves and how badly the "snow burn" would hurt on my arm. So now, I always make a long cuff to help keep their arms warm.

My BLOG
MainelyKnitting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 02:34 PM   #54
kellyh57
Turning the Heel

You want to hear something CRAZY? I was out shopping on Friday and visited my favorite yarn store. I just happened to be in the area, but didn't have any plans on buying anything in particular. I saw some awesome self-patterning yarn and they had a mitten made out of it near it. I HAD to have it. I'm a sucker for self-patterning/self-striping! (Anything to make me look more talented without the work is great, right???) Anyway, I bought it and planned on making mittens. Come to find out on Monday that you're doing a knit-a-long here for it! So, my first mittens are just for me, but depending on how well I like it, I may make some more! Here's my yarn. It's the Yucatan color.

Kelly
Old 09-04-2008, 05:37 PM   #55
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,842 Times in 1,907 Posts
I used that same yarn in the color "veracruz" for my wrist warmers! It used to have a different name, though. I guess that yarn company sold out or something.

I like it, because the patterning of the stripes reminds me of piano keys!
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shandeh For This Useful Post:
kellyh57 (09-05-2008)
Old 09-05-2008, 10:05 AM   #56
TrikkeAddict
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by nicolejc83 View Post
Nicole, I only have worsted weight yarn and size 8 dpns are the only large size I have- which isn't working for that pattern. I'm trying today to use size 4 dpns, the next smallest size that I have with one strand of worsted weight. I just started the cuff so I can't tell yet if it will be the right size.

I'm sure that I can use the double strand of worsted weight with the size 8s if I have measurements of a child's hand. Making the length is easy, but I need to know how wide a child's hand is too. Also the length from thumb to fingertips and the length of the thumb.

I tried yesterday to make a smaller mitten (using double strand WW and Size 8 dpn). The mitten ended up being not quite 2.5 inches wide, the thumb is 2 inches - measured at the outside, and the hand is 4 inches, with another 3.5 inches for the cuff. It looks pretty small but I'm sure it would fit some child's hand - just not sure if it will fit the target child's hand - 3 -5 years old.

If someone could measure a child's hand, or measure a child's mitten and let me know those particular measurements, I think I can make mittens the right size by altering the number of stitches I start with. Otherwise, I won't be able to donate any small mittens to the Head Start program.

Thanks,
Susan

OTN - afghan for DH (undid it for the 3rd time and started another pattern), baby sweater, hooded sweater jacket for me!!
TrikkeAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 11:04 AM   #57
MainelyKnitting
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by TrikkeAddict View Post
If someone could measure a child's hand, or measure a child's mitten and let me know those particular measurements, I think I can make mittens the right size by altering the number of stitches I start with. Otherwise, I won't be able to donate any small mittens to the Head Start program.

Thanks,
Susan
Hi Susan!

I have these children's measurements from a website. I'm not sure which one, since I wrote this down by hand, but it will give you a little bit of sizing to go by.

Child Size 4-5

Hand Circumference 5 1/2"
Hand Length 4 3/4"
Thumb Length 1 1/2"

Child Size 6-8
Hand Circumference 6 1/4"
Hand Length 5 1/2"
Thumb Length 1 3/4"

Child Size 10-12
Hand Circumference 7"
Hand Length 5 3/4"
Thumb Length 2"

I hope this helps!

My BLOG
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MainelyKnitting For This Useful Post:
Karina (09-05-2008), TrikkeAddict (09-05-2008)
Old 09-05-2008, 11:17 AM   #58
TrikkeAddict
1st Leg of the Journey

Thank you so much!!! I think that will help a lot!!!! I'll use the double strand of worsted weight with size 8 dpns and 20 stitches and I think that will work well for thick mittens for little hands.

I hope to get my first pair done today!!!

Thanks again,
Susan

OTN - afghan for DH (undid it for the 3rd time and started another pattern), baby sweater, hooded sweater jacket for me!!
TrikkeAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 11:21 AM   #59
MainelyKnitting
Ribbing the Cuff

Thank you so much!!! I think that will help a lot!!!!
I'm so glad it came in handy, you're very welcome!

I hope to get my first pair done today!!!

That's great!

I'm having fun making the charity mittens and I'm using up a lot of scraps that I had and wow... am I getting some colorful mittens!

My BLOG
Old 09-05-2008, 06:23 PM   #60
nicolejc83
Ribbing the Cuff

4 1/2 in wrist to fingertip
4 1/2 wrist cicumference
1 1/2 inches thumb length
2 1/2 inches palm width

Actual measurements from my four year old

hope that helps

ON

574 For Life
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nicolejc83 For This Useful Post:
MainelyKnitting (09-06-2008), TrikkeAddict (09-05-2008)