Old 09-01-2008, 07:27 AM   #1
susi
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to susi
best bamboo needles
As i bought a set of circular needles about 2months ago they are now falling apart, so i need to buy new.

i bought cheap once so got what i paid for really. i need to replace 2 needles right now. can anyone recmend a good brand, i want good thid time and once taht will last more than 2 months.

i'm in the middle of a jumper when the darned needle broke so need some asap really (how typical is tha lol)

thank you yet again

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-01-2008, 09:03 AM   #2
brittyknits
Turning the Heel

These are very good: http://www.jimmybeanswool.com/knitti...specPCVID=9266 . If you like wood, but they don't have to be bamboo, the Harmonies are wonderful: http://www.knitpicks.com/wood+knitti..._NL300306.html .
brittyknits is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brittyknits For This Useful Post:
susi (09-01-2008)
Old 09-01-2008, 09:11 AM   #3
figaro
Working the Gusset

All of my straights are Clover Bamboo's from Micheals and they are my absolute favorite needles, I paid about $7 or 8 for each set and none have broke. I also have 3 Harmony Circ's and love them too. I bought about 11 pairs of bamboo DPN's off of ebay and I want to replace them, not because they broke but because they are not "finished" if you know what I mean.

figaro
and also on Plurk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

figaro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to figaro For This Useful Post:
susi (09-01-2008)
Old 09-01-2008, 09:56 AM   #4
sue in canada
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,871 Times in 1,270 Posts
I also like the Clover bamboo needles. I have straights and circulars and they are all still fine after a lot of use. I usually buy them with Michaels coupons.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:02 AM   #5
brittyknits
Turning the Heel

Good point (no pun intended!) about the eBay ones-- I had never knit with bamboo and decided to give it a try. So I got full sets of straights and double points and circulars in bamboo from there-- you've seen them-- they're always available, about $20 for the collection of every size from US1 - 15. Huge mistake. I would have been better off finding 1 pair for the $20. Almost all of it was bad-- the circulars are connected by very cheap plastic tubing which usually came off as I, like you, was in the middle of a sweater. The straights and double points also proved to be interesting-- I found sawdust at the bottom of the plastic containers I kept them in. Whether they were deteriorating all by themselves, or there were microscopic bugs, I don't know. But I trashed all of them. So I figure a $60 lesson is not a $600 lesson, if you know what I mean. But I will never order an off-brand again, and strongly advise NOT trying to get bamboo needles this way!
brittyknits is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brittyknits For This Useful Post:
susi (09-01-2008)
Old 09-01-2008, 01:16 PM   #6
susi
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by brittyknits View Post
Good point (no pun intended!) about the eBay ones-- I had never knit with bamboo and decided to give it a try. So I got full sets of straights and double points and circulars in bamboo from there-- you've seen them-- they're always available, about $20 for the collection of every size from US1 - 15. Huge mistake. I would have been better off finding 1 pair for the $20. Almost all of it was bad-- the circulars are connected by very cheap plastic tubing which usually came off as I, like you, was in the middle of a sweater. The straights and double points also proved to be interesting-- I found sawdust at the bottom of the plastic containers I kept them in. Whether they were deteriorating all by themselves, or there were microscopic bugs, I don't know. But I trashed all of them. So I figure a $60 lesson is not a $600 lesson, if you know what I mean. But I will never order an off-brand again, and strongly advise NOT trying to get bamboo needles this way!
mine did exactly the same, cheap plastic that came of the end. i do totally regret buying cheap, but you learn the hard way dont you tbh. i can only afford to replace 2 right now, but the plan is to def replace the lot and get dpn's the same as i love bamboo.

i ahvent knitted with anything other than plastic (hate those with a passion, they breat on me left right and centre, i only have 1 compete set left now, oops lol) metal, aluminium and now bamboo. i did get some free 15mm wooden once in a mag that were ok though. think id get on with anything tahts not metal. it gets to hot here in the summer to knit with metal, the yarn dosent slide at all.

i know this time i'm buying 1 then trying before i buy the lot, not going that route again. i think i paid 20 inc p&p for the last set, that was 15 bamboo circ's. they knitted great, very comfortable etc, just flipping broke. and yes i did swear now i have had to put a jumper down that im not that far of done with. i'm having to put a scarf down now as well as the needles look a bit ropey as well. they would be there as a back up if i dont kill them now lol

i'll have a look where i can buy harmony once i think in europe.

thank you
Old 09-01-2008, 02:54 PM   #7
miccisue
Turning the Heel

I use Clovers for everything, and have never had a problem with them.
Curious here.....am I the only one who has pretty much ditched straights and uses circs for everything?
miccisue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to miccisue For This Useful Post:
susi (09-01-2008)
Old 09-01-2008, 03:14 PM   #8
susi
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by miccisue View Post
I use Clovers for everything, and have never had a problem with them.
Curious here.....am I the only one who has pretty much ditched straights and uses circs for everything?

i hate straight needles now, i use circulars for everything. i had to take over soemthing and hated it, i now have to wait for my new circ's to arrive as i wont knit with straights anymore full stop. stupid hey?!?
Old 09-01-2008, 03:34 PM   #9
lactosefree
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by brittyknits View Post
These are very good: http://www.jimmybeanswool.com/knitti...specPCVID=9266 .

I agree! The Crystal Palace Bamboo needles - especially the circular ones are fabulous. They're the only other needles I'll use when I'm not using my Options. They're a bit more expensive, but worth it. The ends where the bamboo meets the cord is sturdy and the cord swirls independently from the bamboo. The Crystal Palace ones also have a nice finish to them.

lactosefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 03:07 AM   #10
sweetpea
Casting On

Thanks for the warning. I have two pairs of bamboo circular needles and have only used one on part of a project. So far so good but as they were $3 needles I didn't have high expectations.

I usually use steel or plastic needles. I have had problems with finer bamboo needles (pairs) breaking mid project before. Older plastic needles have that problem as well. I have been told that plunging them into hot water before use can prevent that, I have yet to try it.

Inox steel cored plastic needles are my favourite, when I can afford them.

A Kiwifruit is a Chinese Gooseberry!
sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote