Originally Posted by nbrome
Good Heavens, what is this?
Never heard of the site. Prizes for explaining why everyone wants to get on there. (But I mean in detail, not just that it's wonderful).
"ravelry is a knit and crochet community"
- It is an online community for all of us who do fiber crafts.
- It is in "beta test" mode right now, which means that they are still working out some of the kinks.
- You have to sign up (it is free
!) with your email address and wait a few days until they add you as a member. You can check the status while you wait, but it isn't long. (I waited about 4 days and that was recently.)
- Once you join, it has everything: forums like we have here, groups to join based on all kind of interests (pets, tv shows, other hobbies you have, spinning, local SnB's, etc. - tons of 'em), a place to keep track of your stashed yarns, an interactive card to keep an inventory of your needles, an extensive
library of free and buyable patterns, and (best of all, I think) a whole area to keep track of your projects where you can connect to a photo host (like Flikr or Photobucket) and your knitting blog (if you have one).
- Once you add a project (and they can be FOs or WIPs), you can then "share" it with other people--people you have "friended" or in groups you have joined. That way, others can see the progress you are making.
There's a lot more, too... really too much to explain all of it, but the bottom line is that it is an all-inclusive community that is great if you do fiber crafts because you can kind of keep track of everything in one place.
I hope this helps!