Old 09-04-2008, 05:31 PM   #1
alexsr
Casting On

Joining in a new yarn
I'm in middle of making a laptop case and am halfway through the strap when I need to join in a new yarn. I'm concerned the join in will fall apart under the weight of the laptop. If anyone has any suggestions on how to do some sort of tight join in so that the strap holds I'd really appreciate it.
The strap is being knit in Rowan Biggy Print and is 6 stitches wide (stockinette).
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
alexsr is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-04-2008, 07:02 PM   #2
cam90066
Working the Gusset

I'd be apt to do some form of Russian Join, especially given how narrow the strap and the stress factor. And I'd probably extend the join, working with both strands over several sts both approaching and leaving the actual join. (Not familiar with the yarn if working with extra strands would be really noticeable.) I'd finish with dupe st of any tail length and avoid making the join ends too short. (Just in case you need to re-secure them at some point. If you lock the ends with FrayCheck that'll help with them potentially poking out.)

Not sure how much that helped.

cam
alexsr (09-04-2008)
Old 09-04-2008, 07:18 PM   #3
alexsr
Casting On

Thanks for the answer but as you said, I'm not either sure how much that helped as the yarn in question, Rowan Biggy Print, is gigantic and I'm not sure how well those techniques would work with a yarn that big. To give you an idea, it's made out of only 2 strands and the 6 stitches wide strap is around 3 inches wide. I do appreciate the ideas though and I will look into them a little more to see if they'll work well with the yarn.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:44 PM   #4
cam90066
Working the Gusset

Just checked out the yarn over at jimmybean and that gauge (HUGE!) doesn't allow for lots of options. Wondering if you unplied the ends to be joined and then did a sort of felted plying of opposing ends. Make sense? Seems the key is to get diff strands going in diff directions so the join can't pull apart. Try a test on scrap piece...unply and see if you can retwist them (using moisture on the ends might help them 'felt').

Just an idea.

cam
alexsr (09-04-2008)
Old 09-04-2008, 08:33 PM   #5
alexsr
Casting On

I tried it out and while it's a stronger bond I was still able to pull it apart with a moderate amount of pull (much less force than the laptop would apply). Then it occured to me that when it's going to be under pressure it will already be knitted so I tried it again, this time simply looping it around my finger twice before pulling, and no amount of pull was able to get it apart! Great idea and thanks for the help!