Old 09-08-2008, 04:18 PM   #1
Ladybug Lady
1st Leg of the Journey

Super cute felted stocking?
Hi all,

I can't believe my son is 4 months old already! How did THAT happen? AND Christmas is closer than I'd like to think! (Especially when I count how many more paychecks between now and then! EEEEK!)

Anyhoo, I'm looking for a super cute felted stocking to make for my little guy. I've looked at Knitting Pattern Central, but haven't found one that grabs me.

Any ideas out there? I'm not a seasoned sock knitter, or else I'd just wing it.

Also, free patterns are great, but I would buy one if it was the right one.

Thanks for your ideas!!

"I have learned that success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has had to overcome while trying to succeed." ~ Booker T. Washington

WAGE PEACE!!

"Be the change that you want to see in the world." ~Mohandas Gandhi

"Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you." ~Jesus
Ladybug Lady is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-08-2008, 04:27 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,644 Times in 7,046 Posts
Here's a few. You can use one as a base and put anything you want on it, too.

http://happybuela.typepad.com/happyb...a-with-lo.html
http://www.knittingatknoon.com/stockingpatt.html

The non-felted ones have really pretty patterns.
http://www.schoolhousepress.com/christmasstocking.htm
http://www.cascadeyarns.com/patternsFree/W104_220.pdf
http://jenniferhoel.wordpress.com/20...tmas-stocking/

If you don't mind paying for one (pattern or kit) these are gorgeous!
http://www.annieswoolens.com/StockingKitsPatterns.php

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
Ladybug Lady (09-09-2008), LovelyLinda (09-09-2008)
Old 09-09-2008, 08:46 AM   #3
Ladybug Lady
1st Leg of the Journey

Thanks SO much! The first felted pattern you listed was exactly what I was looking for. The size and shape are perfect.

But then I looked at this non-felted pattern and I REALLY love it. I'm Latvian, and the large star motif near the top is very prevaltent in Latvian fiber arts. It would be perfect!

Two questions:

I've never knitted Fair Isle before, but I'm not too scared of this pattern; it's only 2 colors. Would this be a realistic first project? (i.e., can it be ready in time for Santa to fill it up? )

Also, I'm still in love with the idea of a felted stocking. I think it would be sturdier and would stretch less when filled to the brim with all of the goodies both grandmas will be sending along with Santa! So, if I used two strands at once and larger needles (and appropriate yarn for felting, of course), would this pattern still work? Or should I really use one written to be felted so I don't end up with a teeny weeny stocking?

Thanks so much!

"I have learned that success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has had to overcome while trying to succeed." ~ Booker T. Washington

WAGE PEACE!!

"Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you." ~Jesus
Old 09-09-2008, 11:22 AM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

You're welcome! To answer your questions -

Originally Posted by Ladybug Lady View Post
I've never knitted Fair Isle before, but I'm not too scared of this pattern; it's only 2 colors. Would this be a realistic first project? (i.e., can it be ready in time for Santa to fill it up? )
Fair Isle isn't difficult, but takes some practice to get the tension right. Check out this link and practice a bit so you can see how it works before starting your sock. You don't want to pull the yarn too tight when stranding and mess it up.
http://www.philosopherswool.com/Page...amingvideo.htm
Quote:
Also, I'm still in love with the idea of a felted stocking. I think it would be sturdier and would stretch less when filled to the brim with all of the goodies both grandmas will be sending along with Santa! So, if I used two strands at once and larger needles (and appropriate yarn for felting, of course), would this pattern still work? Or should I really use one written to be felted so I don't end up with a teeny weeny stocking?
Thanks so much!
It might work, but the pattern with the stars is already knit with bulky yarn on size 10 needles. Knitting for felting uses needles several sizes larger than what the yarn calls for so keep that in mind. I really think you'd need to do a swatch in pattern to see how much it shrinks and how the pattern itself would show up when felted.

You could also just line a plain knit sock to protect it from all the goodies inside.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
Ladybug Lady (09-09-2008)
Old 09-09-2008, 12:27 PM   #5
Ladybug Lady
1st Leg of the Journey

I think I'll knit a practice swatch to get the hang of the Fair Isle and also to see how it felts up. If the felting doesn't go well, maybe I'll take a plain felted pattern and see if I can add some stars to it.
But now I have to go buy some green and white wool. Oh, woe is me!!

Thanks!

WAGE PEACE!!

Old 09-09-2008, 12:43 PM   #6
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by Ladybug Lady View Post
But now I have to go buy some green and white wool. Oh, woe is me!!
Oh you poor thing. I hope you had some sustenance first.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~