Old 09-10-2008, 06:29 PM   #1
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts
Need Tips on Line Drying Clothes
Hi all! I just started hanging my clothes on a retractable clothes line installed in my garage. I've done a bit of research and am in the process of learning tips and tricks.

The first thing I've noticed is that my towels are hard, not soft. What to do???

Anyone have experience with line drying and can offer tips?

Thanks a bunch!

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-10-2008, 06:41 PM   #2
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
Towels won't be as fluffy as if they had been dried in a machine, but hanging them out where the breeze can blow them a bit does help that some.

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 06:47 PM   #3
Ellieblue
Knitting the Flap

I remember from past experience that you need the wind blowing thru to clothes to make them soft. You might try tossing the towels in the dryer on heat off setting and see if that will do the trick. I remember hanging diapers out on a snowy day. Those were the softest, nicest smelling and whitest diapers I ever had.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:53 PM   #4
mwhite
Instepping Out

Hang shirts and tops with the tails pinned at the side seams, prevents "humps" at shoulder seams.

Pin the side of one piece to the side of another, uses less pins.

Knits are better hung on a hanger, then the hanger onto the line.

Undies can be hung with one pin.....

Oh yeah, check the daily weather report... You may have to run to the store when an unexpected shower comes along!

Hmmm, been awhile since I did this but it's coming back!
mwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 07:28 PM   #5
stitchwitch
Working the Gusset

Watch what you dry in the garage, my stuff came out smelling like gasoline. Between the lawn mower, the generator, two motorcycles, a jet ski and my husband's Chevelle the place is too full of fumes to have nice smelling laundry. I didn't notice the smell until I brought the clothes in and then it was like I had been working at Bubba's Garage all day. The garage doesn't stink but for whatever reason the clothes sucked up the smell.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:07 PM   #6
knitasha
Turning the Heel

When you take the dry towels off the line, hold them by two of the corners and give them a couple of good hard snaps (hold on tight so they don't go flying). This really helps soften them up. It also helps get the creases out of sheets. When I was a kid, my mother and I would each take one end of the sheet and snap it half a dozen times. At that time it seemed like fun, not work.

"Soft" and "hard" may be a matter of what you are used to. I like the slightly stiff feel of line-dried towels; they seem to absorb better and do a little exfoliating at the same time.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:15 PM   #7
bailsmom
Turning the Heel

I line-dry spring through fall and I have done this for years with no success at getting the towels soft. Ever. So I dry them. I'd rather have fluffy soft towels then stiff hard ones.

As for what MWhite said about where to pin them (tail or shoulders) I just do it at the shoulders and when I take them in to hang them in the closet I spray each spot where the clothespin was holding them with water and it takes out the lumps everytime. I actually have a spray bottle of water in our closet for this exact reason. If you ever have the hanger bumps or any wrinkles anywhere just spray them once with water and put it on and they dry in no time. You don't need to douse them either, just one spray of water'll do the trick.

I'm curious why you're hanging them in the garage and not the backyard?? I've never heard of anyone doing this, I'm intrigued.

Happy Hangings!!
Old 09-10-2008, 08:35 PM   #8
vaknitter
Working the Gusset

Good luck with clothes coming out soft as they would out of the dryer. I grew up with a clothes line and hated it b/c of the stiff towels and mishapen shirts.
I have a few tops that I don't put through the dryer and for those I bought the cloth hangers that are bulkier than a standard hanger so that as the tops dry the shoulders are well shaped. In my experience hanging from the bottoms just makes the side seams of the shirt longer than the middle. I think now my mom flips the shirt bottoms over the line and pins them...not sure if that helps them keep their shape any better.

Best of Luck
vaknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:38 PM   #9
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts
Originally Posted by bailsmom View Post
I'm curious why you're hanging them in the garage and not the backyard?? I've never heard of anyone doing this, I'm intrigued.

Happy Hangings!!
Here's three reasons why...

Pele

Molly

And Aubie

Here's what my garage looks like with the line...

Unfortunately, I won't get a breeze blowing through, unless I leave the garage door open along with the door on the side (barely visible on the left side of the photo). The clothes are drying fairly quickly, but the towels...yikes! Talk about exfoliating! I'm going to retrieve the skin of my youth at this rate!

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:41 PM   #10
Hygiene Mama
Knitting the Flap

I love, love, love drying clothes on the line! We love having our towels, especially, dried on the line because when we dry ourselves off, it feels like we're exfoliating our body too! However, I don't dry socks or jeans on the line. Jeans are too stiff and it's just too much work to hang up socks for a family of 5!

I Finally have a ravelry page:
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/SandyRDH
Hygiene Mama is offline   Reply With Quote