Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 04:08 PM   #1001
yarncharmer
Knitting the Flap

Carol, I think that's great that you have a local group that wants to make the snuggles!! Are you going to do them oddball style, with different people doing each section? Or are you all just working on them together with each person doing their own? I like doing the oddball ones, because it's really fun to see the color combinations at the end. The ones we do here are all garter stitch, with two strands of worsted held doubled. This makes a nice cushy snuggle. I know the snuggle website has patterns for other stitch patterns but I haven't used any of them.

The animals at your local shelter are lucky to have your group knitting and crocheting for them! Let us know how it works out.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-27-2009, 04:24 PM   #1002
chj
1st Leg of the Journey

Yarncharmer - thanks! Yes, we were thinking of doing them the oddball way, having one knit and one crochet snuggle going at a given time (so we could work on other projects at the same time). If you use 2 strands, what size needles do you use? 10.5 or something?

I did pull some patterns from the snuggle site. I like playing around with different stitches, so trying some of them would give me a chance to do that. I have done Project Linus blankets for the past few years, and I use them to try out different patterns and different types of yarn.

Addicted to knitting...
Old 08-27-2009, 06:56 PM   #1003
Mulderknitter
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Vertigo1414 View Post
Patches is ready to get mailed out, who's next?
I pm'd the next knitter!
Oddball Pet Snuggles
I am Mulderknitter on Ravelry, add me to your friends!

My Blog
http://susanknitsandwrites.blogspot.com/
Add me to your faves and leave a comment, I love comments!
Old 08-27-2009, 06:58 PM   #1004
Mulderknitter
Working the Gusset

We use size 10 or so needles, and Yarncharmer is right, the double stranded knitting is nice and cushy. Kudos to you for starting a group!
Oddball Pet Snuggles
I am Mulderknitter on Ravelry, add me to your friends!

My Blog
http://susanknitsandwrites.blogspot.com/
Add me to your faves and leave a comment, I love comments!
Old 08-31-2009, 10:44 AM   #1005
melmac51
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by chj View Post
Hi Pet Snuggle people!! Please tell me if I'm out of line to post this question here... I meet weekly with a knitting group here in my neighborhood. Today they were all lamenting about their large stashes of leftover yarn, and being an animal lover, I have always liked the idea of making snuggles. I'm thinking of doing it with my group (I told them about it, and they thought it would be fun) but we would do it locally and work directly with the local shelter (rather than mailing with all of you). I did read the "rules" on the Snuggles Project page, and I intend to join and donate and report to them what we make, so that they get credit for what we do. Is there anything else I should think of?

OK so far? My main question for you all is, what are your favorite patterns, both knit and crochet? We have knitters and crocheters in our group.

Anyway, I think that what you all are doing is great, and I'm sure all the critters appreciate it too.

Thanks!
Carol

Thanks for starting a new branch of this group! I'd recommend for the crocheters either simple rows of single crochet until it's long enough, or maybe rows of half double crochets in back loops only until it's long enough. Really, any stitch would do, as long as it's not too open. Good luck getting started!!
chj (08-31-2009)
Old 08-31-2009, 05:36 PM   #1006
Vertigo1414
Knitting the Flap

Superman arrived today safe and sound.
Also I got this letter from Cape Ann Animal Aid:
Dear Oddball Pet Snuggle Knitters,
Thank you so much for your generous gift of 2 animal blankets, received on August 22, 2009. It is through the support of businesses and individuals like you that we at Cape Ann Animal Aid are able to continue our work of rescuing, caring for and providing shelter for homeless pets as well as educating pet owners and the general public on humane issues and pet care.
We greatly appreciate your support and hope you continue working with our shelter in the future.
Sincerely, Brenda Brancaleone Assistant Manager,CAAA
Northeast Oddball Baby Blankets
Oddball Pet Snuggles

Vertigo's Knits-My blog
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Vertigo1414 For This Useful Post:
jdee (08-31-2009), Ladybug Lady (09-01-2009), melmac51 (09-03-2009), sgtpam (08-31-2009), Shandeh (09-01-2009)
Old 08-31-2009, 06:55 PM   #1007
chj
1st Leg of the Journey

Thanks for the encouragement! And it's nice to hear that your snuggles are appreciated. I visited the local shelter the other day, just to make sure they could use them if we made them, and the staff people were very encouraging. I looked through the cat area, and they had cages of all sizes, and they will take whatever we might make. I even saw 2 handmade little blankets in the cages, one was knit and one crocheted.

I went ahead and took a bunch of my leftovers and threw together a snuggle to show my group, so they would have an idea about what they might look like. It's hard to tell, but it turned out about 25' wide by about 19" long. The funny thing is that I started out with a double strand of Red Heart + Vanna, and ended up with 2 strands of Caron, and it was about an inch narrower at the Caron end. Oh well. (I stretched it in the picture, so you can't really tell.) The nice thing is that I'm sure the kitties could care less. >^..^<
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	snuggie reduced.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	53365  

Addicted to knitting...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chj For This Useful Post:
Ladybug Lady (09-01-2009), melmac51 (09-03-2009), Shandeh (09-01-2009)
Old 08-31-2009, 07:40 PM   #1008
sgtpam
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Vertigo1414 View Post
Patches is ready to get mailed out, who's next?
I got Patches today, I love the bright colors...thanks for the "stickies". What did we ever do without them

The Following User Says Thank You to sgtpam For This Useful Post:
Mulderknitter (09-01-2009)
Old 09-01-2009, 02:40 PM   #1009
jdee
Working the Gusset

Chj, your snuggle is so pretty. I've found Caron to be thinner than other worsted yarns, so normally, I pair it with another yarn. But I don't think you should worry about it, because the animals won't mind.

I'm so glad your shelter is working with you. I've been sending mine to a shelter in Keller, Tx, because my local shelter had never heard of the pet snuggle project, and didn't seem all that interested, either.

Keep up the good work.

Visit my blog at www.jdeeannsblog@blogspot.com
Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew as steadfast spirit within me. Psalm 51:10
The Following User Says Thank You to jdee For This Useful Post:
chj (09-01-2009)
Old 09-01-2009, 03:03 PM   #1010
chj
1st Leg of the Journey

jdee - thanks for the feedback. My shelter never heard of the "snuggle project" either, but when I explained what I was talking about, they were enthusiastic. It also helped that they already had the same sort of thing already sitting in the cages...

If your local shelter doesn't seem interested, I'm glad you found one that wants your snuggles. I had thought that if I couldn't explain it well, I might just wait until I had one made up & take it in, but I didn't have to do that.

Yes, about Caron. It definitely is thinner, but I do use it a lot for blankets because I like how soft it is. I agree with you, to pair it with a regular worsted weight. My outcome wasn't as bad as it might have been because I went from 2 worsteds to 1 worsted+1Caron and then ended up with 2 Carons, so I eased into it.

BTW - the rest of you have done a fabulous job with your snuggles! It's so much fun to see how you have worked together!!

Addicted to knitting...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chj For This Useful Post:
Ladybug Lady (09-02-2009), Mulderknitter (09-01-2009)
Closed Thread