Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 05:24 PM   #1871
maryknitwit
Ribbing the Cuff

They're right! No worries! All is well. I have other knitting projects to keep me occupied. Two shawls in the works.
The Following User Says Thank You to maryknitwit For This Useful Post:
sakura-panda (03-18-2013)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-18-2013, 10:09 AM   #1872
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

Thanks -- you all are so kind and patient!

I've heard it many times before, but last week I heard (again) that sometimes continental knitting is easier for a new knitter who has crocheted in the past. I keep trying to hold the yarn in my left hand (I crocheted when I was young, before I learned to knit) and I haven't come up with a good way to do that with English knitting.

On Saturday, I used the Knitting Help app to teach myself continental knitting and after a 1.5" x 6" swatch I thought I had it figured out; I abandoned my scrap swatch to work on Into the Forest. I found that it was a little more difficult with two strands on sticky and rounded bamboo needles than one strand on slick and pointy Harmony needles. I was happy with my progress though, and figured I just needed more practice.

Then I added the TV. After about a half dozen rows, I saw that I dropped a couple of consecutive stitches row back; I picked them up and kept going, and then a couple of rows later I found more dropped stitches, a couple of rows back.

I ripped it out to the dropped stitches and switched back to my regular English knit style.

I think that it might have been too soon for me to work with two strands (while watching TV ) on a project that I feel like I should be rushing. (I know I don't need to rush -- but you know how you get that *feeling* and can't help yourself.)

Overally, I liked the continental knitting much better than my normal English style. I'm just not ready to multi-task with it yet, at least not with multiple strands.

I should have measured it before I went to bed last night -- I think I've finished about two inches so far. I hope to have it finished by the end of the week. (It seems like I've said that before. )
The Following User Says Thank You to sakura-panda For This Useful Post:
susauehl (03-29-2013)
Old 03-20-2013, 05:24 AM   #1873
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,343 Times in 3,027 Posts
It's always an adventure when you teach yourself something new! I agree, a quiet place, if you can find it, would be ideal. You can concentrate on making the stitches and developing muscle memory for the technique.
sakura-panda (03-21-2013)
Old 03-21-2013, 10:38 AM   #1874
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

I like that term -- muscle memory -- and it is something I forgot about when I was practicing. It takes more than a half dozen rows to get good at a new stitch or technique.

I finally finished Into the Forest and it is ready to be mailed out. I had one ball of the yarn I wanted to use for Collie Cuddle, but I couldn't find the other other; then I found the other and couldn't find the first. After I took a picture of Into the Forest, I dug around and found *both* of the colors, so I will be starting that one soon.

I will post the picture after I send it out.

On a housekeeping note, this thread is getting pretty long and Sandy has been getting questions about how to join us, so I'm going to start a new thread with updated sign up lists. I'll post the link here when I've got it up, so that you don't have to go looking for it.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:32 PM   #1875
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

New thread: http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=112586
Closed Thread