Old 09-14-2008, 07:23 PM   #1
jdee
Working the Gusset

Very Hurt By Ravelry-Caution-A Little Whiney
I just want to tell all of KH how much I appreciate being part of this group. I just spent time on ravelry. There's a political thread in the Remnants forum (not one of the politcal groups), and I've been reading. I've not participated much, but the few times I have, I've come away feeling attacked. Those people are really bloodthirsty. The last time I chimed in, I was put in my place in a way that hurt my feelings so much that I have been in tears much of the day. I still tear up when I think about it. Now, I know I battle depression, and tend to be overly emotional sometimes, but I really was hurt. I don't know why I'm letting it bother me so much, and that fact is making me mad at myself. Sometimes I hate myself.

Here, we all seem to genuinely like eachother. I know we don't know eachother personally, it's just such a welcoming and friendly atmosphere. I mean, even on the two political threads here, where there is plenty of disagreeing, there is still a respectful tone. Not the personal attacks that are allowed on ravelry.

I hate myself for something I did over there. I got so upset, and I've been very emotional lately anyway, that I have been crying most of the day. DH is very protective of me because of my illness and some of the things I've been through lately, so he was ready to defend me. So I let him get on and defend me. I know, I know-It was a bad idea. Anyway, a lot of people have clicked the "funny" button, and the "disagree" button, so now I feel like I'm just a laughing stock over there. I don't know what to do to fix it. I don't what people to dislike me, and think my husband thinks for me. He was just helping me. And I'm the one who asked him to.

Anyway-I have to go now, because I'm starting to cry again. I hope I'm not going to be a laughing stock over here too.

Visit my blog at www.jdeeannsblog@blogspot.com
Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew as steadfast spirit within me. Psalm 51:10
jdee is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-14-2008, 07:26 PM   #2
Doodknitwit
Working the Gusset

I would suggest not reading that thread!!! Getting that sad
is not worth it
Old 09-14-2008, 07:28 PM   #3
cheley
Working the Gusset

PM"D you
cheley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cheley For This Useful Post:
jdee (09-14-2008)
Old 09-14-2008, 07:36 PM   #4
knitasha
Turning the Heel

I've participated in that Forum and yes, the emotions are running pretty hot. There are strong opinions on both sides of the issues, particularly about Sarah Palin. I haven't seen many (well, not many) personal attacks, but a number of people who have done extensive homework and know their facts have been impatient with others who have made unsubstantiated statements, or posted opinions based on nothing but their feelings.

Believe me, you are not a laughingstock, there or here. If you feel you made a mistake, well, you made it; it's over. If others misjudged you, it's their problem, not yours. It is also possible that you -- or I, or anybody on that Forum -- may be wrong. Good information can change opinions. Look at the whole thing as an opportunity to learn, not a personal attack.

Whatever you said over there, and whatever anyone said to you, one of the great things about America is that people can still disagree, even though that freedom seems to be eroding. I am sorry that you suffer from depression: I've been there and I know that it hurts; and I am sorry that your feelings have been bruised. It might be better if you stay away from discussions that upset you.

Last edited by knitasha : 09-14-2008 at 08:29 PM.
knitasha is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitasha For This Useful Post:
jdee (09-14-2008)
Old 09-14-2008, 07:37 PM   #5
mwhite
Instepping Out

I understand your pain, Jdee. However, take Doodknitwit's advice and just walk away from the thread.

No matter what forum you're on, there will always be someone who either forgets or just doesn't have any manners. Some forums don't have any kind of moderation, others do and thank goodness our KH has people with manners and people who moderate.

Ravelry is a huge community and personal feelings tend to get lost in the crowd. Don't right the entire site off because of a few louses...it has plenty of positive forum groups and the information within its boundaries is tremendous and can help you.
mwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mwhite For This Useful Post:
jdee (09-14-2008)
Old 09-14-2008, 08:29 PM   #6
Jen17
Turning the Heel

Ahh, Big Hug Jdee!
Listen, I have witnessed alot of not so nice things said on sites on the Internet. Some are because some people are ignorant, rude or just plain mean. Some people just don't care about other people's feelings as long as they get to say what it is they want to say.
Sometimes people like to think they are big shots and have to put their two cents in where it doesn't belong. That just happened to me, and I was going to reply to it, but it is so not worth it. Also, trying to figure out what a person may mean in an email can be hard.

Now that being said, there are tons more nice people, people who would give you the shirt off their back, money out of their piggy bank, their last cookie (o.k., maybe not their last cookie ) on this site and they don't even KNOW you!

Forget about it...go take a warm bath or get off the computer and read a book. I promise you, those people that you were dealing with today are not giving it a second thought tonight....and neither should you...life is too short.

Jen

my name on Ralvery is: knitnackpaddywak

Last edited by Jen17 : 09-14-2008 at 08:53 PM. Reason: spelling
Jen17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jen17 For This Useful Post:
jdee (09-14-2008)
Old 09-14-2008, 08:44 PM   #7
cheley
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Jen17 View Post
Ahh, Big Hug Jdee!
Listen, I have witnessed alot of not so nice things said on sites on the Internet. Some are because some people are ignorant, rude or just plain mean. Some people just don't care about other people's feelings as long as they get to say what it is they want to say.
Sometimes people like to think they are big shots and have to put their two cents in where it doesn't belong. That just happened to me, and I was going to reply to it, but it is so not worth it. Also, trying to figure out what a person may mean in an email can be hard.

Now that being said, there are tons more nice people, people who would give you the shirt off their back, money out of their piggy bank, their last cookie (o.k., maybe not their last cookie ) on this site and they don't even KNOW you!

Forget about it...go take a warm bath or get off the computer and read a book. I promise you, those people that you were dealing with today and not giving it a second thought tonight....and neither should you...life is too short.

Jen
Very well spoken..you go girl!!!
cheley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cheley For This Useful Post:
jdee (09-14-2008)
Old 09-14-2008, 09:06 PM   #8
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
This is why we work so hard to keep threads from turning hurtful here. It's also why we prefer that people NOT post political threads in the first place.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
jdee (09-14-2008)
Old 09-14-2008, 09:12 PM   #9
iza
Turning the Heel

I read the thread you are talking about (I didn't participate in it though), and I hope you know some people defended you. And I'm not talking about your husband.

Don't take these things personally. There are people on ravelry who just love to challenge other people's ideas, and love to be challenged in return. Unfortunately, some of them forget about the person behind the challenge. I, too, really wish we could all be careful about other people's feelings.

Seriously, don't let "funny" and "disagree" buttons ruin your life. It's really, really not worth it. Besides, you know how fast people move on on ravelry - the discussion is so far in other directions now!
The Following User Says Thank You to iza For This Useful Post:
jdee (09-14-2008)
Old 09-14-2008, 09:47 PM   #10
jdee
Working the Gusset

Thanks for all your support. I'm pretty embarrased about the whole thing now, but at least I'm no longer a wimpering cry baby. I'm sorry for that.

I guess what bothered me, was the fact that they acted like I would choose to be uniformed, and blindly vote for a party, just because I didn't agree with thier ideas. There was one election that I didn't even vote in, because I had so much going on in my life, that I didn't take the time to read, adn research both candidates. I know not voting isn't good, but isn't it better than voting when you don't know what's going on? But I didn't write that, because, I no longer want to be a part of that discussion.
Anyway, it's over now. I appreciate all of you.

Visit my blog at www.jdeeannsblog@blogspot.com
Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew as steadfast spirit within me. Psalm 51:10
jdee is offline   Reply With Quote