Old 06-17-2008, 02:41 PM   #1
miccisue
Turning the Heel

Do you have class reunions? Do you attend?
OK, as the chairman of my class reunion, I'm wondering why people are the way they are about reunions.
Now, of course my side is going to be skewed since I am the one who's been planning this for over a year so bear with me.
Do you have class reunions? Do you attend? Why or why not? If you don't, do you at least RSVP declining the invitation so the reunion planner knows that you actually did get your invitation?
This can be so frustrating. I guess one reason I'm curious is because this year in particular there were 2 people who complained they'd never gotten and invitation....ever. So, I got new addresses, sent them invitations, and never heard a word from them. I know for a fact that invites have been sent to both of them for every reunion, and the previous 2 that I worked on they were never returned by the post office as undeliverable, so we had no clue these people weren't getting them. I often wonder how many are in the same boat....but if people won't at least RSVP with a "no", we really don't know whether they're getting their stuff or not.
Thanks!!!!!!
miccisue is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-17-2008, 02:50 PM   #2
jjminarcik
Turning the Heel

This would be my 10 year high school reunion, but I havn't heard anything about it. I'm bummed - I would definitely go! But I know DH would not go to his. But no matter what, I would always RSVP yes or no. I hate it when people don't respond!

Good luck! I hope you have a good turnout!

OTN: Socks, socks, socks
My first sweater

jjminarcik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 03:06 PM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,644 Times in 7,046 Posts
I went to my 10th and 20th, but not the 30th. (Gad I'm old ) Anyway, I did RSVP that I couldn't come to that last one.

I don't know about yours, but many of them have become prohibitively expensive for many people. My DD2 just had her 10th and it was going to be over $100 which she just didn't want to spend right now because they are in the process of moving. They just went to the bar in the hotel and met up with some people.

None of that explains why they don't get them or RSVP though. Who knows on the former and bad manners on the second.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 03:21 PM   #4
Cynamar
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Cynamar Send a message via Yahoo to Cynamar
I went to my 10-year and 20-year reunions (class of 1985) and I was the Most Eligible Bachelorette! I really hope I'm not still at my 30-year one!

While there's tea there's hope. - Sir Arthur Pinero

My KH Blog Thread

My Blog
Cynamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 03:31 PM   #5
cdjack
Turning the Heel

My class has only had its 10 year anniversary (I graduated in '93), but I didn't attend. I did rsvp, though. I hated high school and the idea of going back doesn't sound like much fun to me. I already keep in touch with the people that I was friends with.

Courtney
cdjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 03:39 PM   #6
Mike
Working the Gusset

My class reunion is run by the snobs. Their idea of a good time is to go golfing or have a dinner that is overpriced for the average income around here.
A hog roast and a keg would be more fitting for the pay event but they'd never do that.
If they had a free day that wasn't set up around families and kids I'd think about attending that (they have it but it's called a family picnic, since I can't stand kids I figure I'd wait until everyone is too old to have kids).

I stopped by a reunion on my way home from working at my brother's once and I didn't know anyone outside, even those who said "this was the smoking area" which means they hung out in the same spot I did in school (and mine wasn't that big of a class).
I could go to any bar in town and see people I know from school, I don't need to pay or be limited to only people in my class.

No, I don't RSVP. I'm in the phone book and have been ever since I got out of college and spent one year out of state OTJT.
They spent a lot of reunions putting me in their newspaper ad instead of looking in the phone book.
After I got the internet I did go to their website and inform them that it might be a good idea for them to look in the local phone book since they can't seem to find at least six people I know are in there.

I think what it is is they don't like the group I was with and the group I was with doesn't like them so neither is going to go out of our way to help the other.

YouTube channel
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 04:00 PM   #7
iza
Turning the Heel

I went to my high school reunion a few years ago, and it was kind of fun. But I must say, I'm not a big reunion person. My life has moved on so much since high school, I don't really see the point. I have contacts with a few close friends from high school and it's enough for me.

I would RSVP, but I know sometimes people don't because they're not sure if they want to go or not. And then forget about it...
Old 06-17-2008, 04:33 PM   #8
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts
I graduated from high school in 1988. We only had 18 people in my graduating class. It was a small, private school in south Alabama.

I had planned to attend my 10-year reunion (the only one we've had), but the Monday following the reunion was going to be my son's first day of kindergarten. Because I lived in south Florida, I would have had quite a drive and would have missed it. No way, Jose. My kids are my first priority, and that's a day I wouldn't have gotten back. So, I sent a letter and pictures to the gal who organized it. One of the guys sent me pictures from the weekend, and I was a little sad.

This year marks our 20th year, but I haven't heard anything yet! I have a feeling it will be something kind of thrown together. I mean, with 18 people, you don't have to do anything extravagant. Especially for south Alabama.

I think that distance can make a difference. There are a lot of schedules that have to be accommodated as well. I'm sure it gets easier the older you get, but still.

I would like to attend this year, but we have some big soccer trips coming up...which I won't miss. So, we'll see.

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 04:35 PM   #9
Eccie
Turning the Heel

Send a message via ICQ to Eccie Send a message via AIM to Eccie Send a message via MSN to Eccie Send a message via Yahoo to Eccie
I didn't go to my 10th. The people I care anything about from highschool, I've kept in touch with. As anti-social as it sounds, I couldn't care less about seeing the rest of them again. And it was at a Winery, I don't care for wine. I did RSVP though.

EccentricScrpn at Ravelry

My blog
'I would be more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her serenity. - EB White'
Eccie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 07:49 PM   #10
kellyh57
Turning the Heel

People don't RSVP for anything anymore! I think there's a belief among some people that if you don't RSVP you're either coming or not. I haven't figured out which yet. I've had a few parties over the last few years and I NEVER get all the RSVPs. I've done online invites, sent my email address and everything. People just "don't have time" or whatever. It's just plain rude. I started calling people when I don't hear back. They always seem shocked that I actually want an answer. DUH! I'm done ranting....

As far as class reunions. I went to mine and RSVP-ed. My husband's dad doesn't forward his mail so we found out about it after it was over and obviously didn't go or RSVP. He wouldn't have wanted to go anyway, I'm sure. He's just not into that. I just wish we could have college reunions. I miss some of my friends from there and would love to find out what everyone is doing. (Since you KNOW most people aren't in the field they majored in!)

Kelly