Old 09-15-2008, 09:56 AM   #1
Ginnyb
Knitting the Flap

casting on in middle of rows
I have made a few top down sweaters and in the pattern I use, you cast on 4 or 8 stitches onto the right tip on the needle. You can't use cable cast on can you? The only time I have used cable cast-on it casts onto the left tip, correct? The only other cast on I know how to do looks messy to me and the stitches are so hard to knit on the next row...

Ginny
Ginnyb is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-15-2008, 10:40 AM   #2
sandragayle
Casting On

Originally Posted by Ginnyb View Post
I have made a few top down sweaters and in the pattern I use, you cast on 4 or 8 stitches onto the right tip on the needle. You can't use cable cast on can you? The only time I have used cable cast-on it casts onto the left tip, correct? The only other cast on I know how to do looks messy to me and the stitches are so hard to knit on the next row...

Ginny
Hi Ginny, I just joined yesterday and this is my first communication. I like to use a knit cast on in these situations. I don't know about the cable cast on. I'd make a swatch and try out a few variations to see how they look. I don't like the cast on with just one strand of yarn, they are loose and sloppy. I am a computer illerate and can't figure out what to do to introduce myself. Can you help?
Gayle
sandragayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:48 AM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Quote:
you cast on 4 or 8 stitches onto the right tip on the needle. You can't use cable cast on can you? The only time I have used cable cast-on it casts onto the left tip, correct?
You CO the sts to the right needle end, but you switch it to the left hand to use the knit or cable CO, then switch it back to the right and continue knitting.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
Ginnyb (09-15-2008)
Old 09-15-2008, 11:20 AM   #4
Ginnyb
Knitting the Flap

Sandragayle

Go to the page where you saw my post....I would go to General Knitting and start a new thread introducing yourself. You will get so much help here...it is great! I have been knitting about 2 years now, so I am pretty new to it and I have learned so much from reading the forum and using the videos!

Ginny
Ginnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:25 AM   #5
Simply_Renee
Turning the Heel

I usually use backward loop in that situation.

Recently FO- Quinn cabled bag, Evangeline fingerless gloves (2 pairs), Topknot baby hats, pompom & earflap hats, 8 pairs of socks, Baby Folkwear Caftan, Debbie Bliss Baby Shawl (blanket)

I'm SimplyRenee on Ravelry- feel free to add me as a friend & I will do the same!
Simply_Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 05:24 PM   #6
new_knitter
1st Leg of the Journey

I am currently knitting the Austin the Bear pattern, and was confused when it told me to cast on stitches at the beginning of a purl row. Would I use the backward loop for that?

OTN:
Fiber Trends Felt Clogs #15
Handle for Booga Bag hmm will I ever get back to this????
new_knitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:30 PM   #7
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
You can, or you can use the knit or cable co. Beginning, middle or end of rows, it doesn't matter. I find that if there's more than a couple sts to CO, that backward loop is too messy and leaves extra yarn between the CO sts and the previous ones.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
new_knitter (09-15-2008)